Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: help me set up my new place  (Read 10564 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
help me set up my new place
« on: February 10, 2008, 07:48:06 PM »
my building was sold, and my new landlord is kicking us out.

So I just signed a lease yesterday for a new place.  I move in in March.  The downstairs of this place is a small living room and kitchen.  If you're standing at the end of the kitchen looking out (kitchen and living room is basically the same room), there's a fireplace on the far wall, and the left and right walls each have a window in the middle and a radiator below the window.  So unless I want to put a tv in front of a window and radiator (would anyone do this?), my options are pretty much a corner unit or in front of/on top of the fireplace.

The problem with a corner tv stand i that I don't think I'd have room to put my von schweikert vr2's on either side, since the radiator on the side wall might interfere.  I also would rather not set up in a corner, since then there's really no kickass sweet spot for surround sound

so that leaves the options of mounting a tv above the fireplace or just saying screw the fireplace and putting a tv stand in front of it.  While I don't think I'd ever really use the fireplace, I am not sure if I want to just cover it up with a tv stand and tv.  But I'm not totaly against it

If I were to put an lcd or plasma above the fireplace, i suppose I could put a center channel on the mantle and speakers on the side.  But then if I put a component rack on one side of the fireplace, I still have to run a set of speaker cables across the fireplace floor to get to the speaker on the other side.  This is kind of a problem since my speaker cables are like garden hoses (http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,15019.msg187312.html#msg187312)

any suggestions on what to do?  what would you guys do in my situation?

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
Re: help me set up my new place
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 10:07:18 PM »
very lame drawing of the room

bottom of the picture is the kitchen.  it's not a wall

Offline spott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 11:53:50 PM »
hmmm.... if you're not planning on using the fireplace; I'd suggest putting a stand in front of there, generally speaking "above" the fireplace is a terrible viewing angle and you'll be craning your neck to get a good look.  I agree with the corner placement, not really the best alternative - and if the radiator was anything like the apartment I had in DC  - keep couches and electronics AWAY from there.  I had some "heat damage" to a couch that was ~3 feet in-front of the radiator. You don't want to risk your VR2's or cables for that matter - hiding the cables will be another issue (don't have a solution for that sorry).

How many square feet is the place?

Offline scb

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 07:01:48 AM »
i was thinking i could probably turn a  radiator off, but i don't know...

not sure of the square footage, but it's not a large room

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 12:27:22 PM »
Mine is fine above the fireplace, I have it angled down ever so slightly but in my recliner it's quite nice to view.  My fireplace is not extrordinarily tall though.  As for the cables I had someone wire them through the wall if that's an option.  If not a plant will disguise them nicely.
mics & cameras

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 12:42:39 PM »
put the tv in front of the fireplace and act like it isnt even there...since you arent going to use it, this is the easiest solution.

Offline scb

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 07:49:44 PM »
put the tv in front of the fireplace and act like it isnt even there...since you arent going to use it, this is the easiest solution.

i'm thinking that might be the best.  It just seems like a waste to ignore a fireplace, though

Offline spott

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 08:33:07 PM »
If you're renting you should really verify with the landlord the the fireplace has been inspected and the flume has been cleaned (recently), seriously.  Fireplaces are always a great "idea" but never something you end up using regularly, I assume it's an apartment in a building of some sort, carrying cords of wood is no easy task  :P

Offline scb

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 09:11:24 PM »
it's a working fireplace in a 2 family house.  i have the back apartment of this house

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 07:42:06 AM »
you cold always get a DVD of a burning fire to play for ambiance .
:)

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 11:50:36 AM »
I have two fireplaces....one in the living room that I use several times through the winter, and one in the family room that I never use and so have my TV in fornt of it.

It's been done!
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline scb

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 03:31:21 PM »
in front of the fireplace isn't an option.  I didn't realize there's a 1 foot slab of rock raised from the floor.  so that makes the stand be at least a foot out from the wall, and that won't work

so it's corner, with no space for speakers, or plasma on the wall.  looking like there's really only 1 option...
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 03:33:35 PM by scott brown »

thepassionofyonder

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 06:13:47 PM »
plasma on the wall.  looking like there's really only 1 option...

Offline scb

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 07:32:56 PM »
not a cheap option

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 01:09:58 PM »
Depending on how the LR connects to the kitchen, you might be able to put it there.  Don't know if it would hose your entrance/exit to the kitchen or not.  And you'd have all the cables and everything sticking out the back, which may require something behind the TV/gear/speakers, like a bookcase, or plants, or some such.  But you'd have the flexibility of arranging chairs and couch(es) to either ignore the fireplace, or incorporate it into the room.  Probably a long shot, and likely not an option since you say it's a small LR, but thought I'd throw it out there.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline scb

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 08:33:46 PM »
landlord said today that plasma above the fireplace isn't really an option, since he doesn't want holes in the wood paneling above the fireplace.  he suggested i mount a plasma on the right wall.  if you're facing the right wall, he said put it to the left of the window and radiator.  there's 62 inches of space between the window and the wall.  so while that might actually work if i put the couch on the left wall (and would work perfectly for surround speakers, just left and right of the couch), it still leaves me no space for the front speakers (vr2s), unless input one in the corner and one all of 4.5 feet to the right.  not ideal.  but it might be doable if i get creative

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 08:56:10 AM »
in front of the fireplace isn't an option.  I didn't realize there's a 1 foot slab of rock raised from the floor.  so that makes the stand be at least a foot out from the wall, and that won't work

So, you can't at least try putting in the extra foot into the room? Might be closer than you want, but it sounds like it's the only way to have it centered (important) with room for proper placement of the speakers on either side (very important). Or, could your stand sit on / straddle the rock slab?

I have the opposite problem.....there's a curved recessed "pit" in from of my fireplace, and the tv stand / speakers are in the pit!
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline scb

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 09:33:45 AM »
i currently have a 3.5 year old panasonic dlp, which itself if 17 inches deep.  so putting a stand a foot from the wall means that the tv is a minimum of 29 inches out from the wall.   the couch would basically be 3 feet from there so the back wouldn't be blocking entrance to the kitchen.  it would look like the tv is in the middle of the room

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 11:40:16 AM »

It would be very easy to construct a platform with an open back and just enough interior height to rest on the slab and extend the slab in the directions you need to match the DLP base of your stand - kind of like a little stage.   That would let you place the TV over the slab and it wouldn't negatively affect the property.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline scb

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 04:02:50 PM »
i was thinking about that...might work

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2008, 04:30:57 PM »
i currently have a 3.5 year old panasonic dlp, which itself if 17 inches deep.  so putting a stand a foot from the wall means that the tv is a minimum of 29 inches out from the wall.   the couch would basically be 3 feet from there so the back wouldn't be blocking entrance to the kitchen.  it would look like the tv is in the middle of the room

Someone, somewhere, is screaming:  Flat Panel LCD / Plasma Upgrade!!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline scb

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2008, 05:42:09 PM »
unfortunately you're right

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2008, 08:33:43 PM »
with a TV like that mounting might not have been the best idea anyways, I had one and it weighed a ton, I wouldn't think that would be safe to mount.

Would it be possible to find some sort of shelf/stand that would place it over the fireplace, kind of to raise it above and extend the fireplace mantle?  Without it looking ghetto.
mics & cameras

Offline scb

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 06:58:45 AM »
sanjay, if i mounted anything over the fireplace, i was definitely going to have to upgrade to plasma or lcd

unfortunately, it's looking like no matter what i do, i have to upgrade , because the dlp just takes up to much space

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 08:14:38 AM »
if you end up going LCD, at least look at the Sony Bravia LCD sets.  My dad just bought a 42" LCD and the picture is freaking fantastic

Offline scb

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 08:16:39 AM »
i ended up ok keeping my old tv but just getting a new stand.  everything is on the right wall.  now my question is: where do i put my center channel (a von schweikert lcr 15, which arrives tomorrow)?  on the floor doesn't seem right, and the tv stand isn't deep enough for it 

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2008, 08:46:50 AM »
put a shelf above the tv...I have one of these:

http://www.htmarket.com/multimount.html

though I havent installed it as I have room below the tv on the shelf directly underneath in the center.  Eventually I am going to do it

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2008, 12:44:06 PM »
good suggestion Nick, that's what I did, but my plasma is really thin... is there any way to set it on top of the TV?  Also how does it sound with the speakers that close together?   The VR-2's I'm borrowing don't sound too good at all that close so I'm trying to figure out if there's anything I can do to remedy that while working in a tight space like yours.
mics & cameras

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2008, 07:17:36 AM »
when i had mine, I thought they sounded best 8' apart (in my room).  I could get to 10' but things started to loosen up w/the soundstage a little too much

Offline scb

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2008, 08:23:06 AM »
my situation is definitely not ideal, but I think they still sound pretty decent that close.  I really have no other option, so I'm dealing with it. 

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2008, 09:25:53 AM »
that sucks Scott.
nothing worse then "compromise" when it comes to speaker placement.  at least in my mind.
:(

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2008, 11:06:22 AM »
when i had mine, I thought they sounded best 8' apart (in my room).  I could get to 10' but things started to loosen up w/the soundstage a little too much

I probably have mine 7 ft apart and the soundstage is perfect

Offline scb

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2008, 10:14:25 PM »
center channel came today, and right now I have it on the floor angled up a bit.  honestly, my system might sound better without it as it's currently set up.  I think that the center channel actually makes the fact that the front left and right are so close even more noticeable.  it kind of just makes everything bleed together

i'm really not sure what to do (especially since I don't know about drilling holes in the wall just for a speaker).  I just got this speaker, but my current room might sound better without it

Offline scb

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2008, 01:33:52 PM »
i suppose one option would be to get another shelf under the tv.  but that would raise the stand from 23 inches to 32 with the addition of a 9 inch shelf.  that would probably make the tv a bit too high....scratch that idea

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2008, 01:38:43 PM »
put it on a shelf above the TV, problem solved :P

Offline scb

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2008, 02:00:43 PM »
yeah, but that requires holes in the wall, which I think the landlord is against.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2008, 02:04:32 PM »
I saw this the other night on TV, dont know I would trust it with that heavy ass speaker though :P

https://www.mightyputty.com/spark/index.php?ai=42&tag=mpsc100

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2008, 02:05:36 PM »
yeah, but that requires holes in the wall, which I think the landlord is against.

Did they say anything about holes in the ceiling... suspend that bad boy!
mics & cameras

Offline scb

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2008, 02:46:41 PM »
I saw this the other night on TV, dont know I would trust it with that heavy ass speaker though :P

haha, billy mays has like 10 different products for sale now

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2008, 02:54:59 PM »

haha, billy mays has like 10 different products for sale now

love that guy...I need that job

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2008, 04:26:38 PM »
and he looks like Carl Beck.  "evil twin" whom annoys Carl whenever he comes on.
Sort of like Warren's guitar tech.

Offline scb

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2008, 04:37:43 PM »

at first I thought no way...but this might actually be the best idea.  any suggestions on the best way to do it?

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2008, 06:23:04 PM »

at first I thought no way...but this might actually be the best idea.  any suggestions on the best way to do it?

I was actually joking.  But if I was to do this I'd make sure it was mounted in a ceiling stud/brace and get some good 25lb test fishing line and knot it well around the spikes. 
mics & cameras

Offline scb

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2008, 09:56:40 AM »
yeah, i figured that.  but the thing is, it may actually be my only option .  i went from laughing about it to thinking "damn, it might actually be ok" :)

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2008, 06:40:35 PM »

Hey I've done this before at my friend's house when he had to remodel...
We hung a pair of Bose from his celing.  Sounded killer actually.  I think they were about 6' from the floor.

If you can get into studs, definitely do it...
If not, some molly bolts will work as long as you aren't suspending too much weight.
I would def. recommend using thin aircraft cable over fishing line if possible.  Unless you have a bracket or mounting points on your speaker cabinet, you'll probably need to screw a couple eye-bolts into it.

Let me know if you need aircraft cable, as I can probably get you some.

:)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.144 seconds with 69 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com