Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: help me set up my new place  (Read 10565 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: help me set up my new place
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 08:33:46 PM »
landlord said today that plasma above the fireplace isn't really an option, since he doesn't want holes in the wood paneling above the fireplace.  he suggested i mount a plasma on the right wall.  if you're facing the right wall, he said put it to the left of the window and radiator.  there's 62 inches of space between the window and the wall.  so while that might actually work if i put the couch on the left wall (and would work perfectly for surround speakers, just left and right of the couch), it still leaves me no space for the front speakers (vr2s), unless input one in the corner and one all of 4.5 feet to the right.  not ideal.  but it might be doable if i get creative

Offline som

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 08:56:10 AM »
in front of the fireplace isn't an option.  I didn't realize there's a 1 foot slab of rock raised from the floor.  so that makes the stand be at least a foot out from the wall, and that won't work

So, you can't at least try putting in the extra foot into the room? Might be closer than you want, but it sounds like it's the only way to have it centered (important) with room for proper placement of the speakers on either side (very important). Or, could your stand sit on / straddle the rock slab?

I have the opposite problem.....there's a curved recessed "pit" in from of my fireplace, and the tv stand / speakers are in the pit!
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 09:33:45 AM »
i currently have a 3.5 year old panasonic dlp, which itself if 17 inches deep.  so putting a stand a foot from the wall means that the tv is a minimum of 29 inches out from the wall.   the couch would basically be 3 feet from there so the back wouldn't be blocking entrance to the kitchen.  it would look like the tv is in the middle of the room

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 11:40:16 AM »
in front of the fireplace isn't an option.  I didn't realize there's a 1 foot slab of rock raised from the floor.  so that makes the stand be at least a foot out from the wall, and that won't work

It would be very easy to construct a platform with an open back and just enough interior height to rest on the slab and extend the slab in the directions you need to match the DLP base of your stand - kind of like a little stage.   That would let you place the TV over the slab and it wouldn't negatively affect the property.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline scb

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 04:02:50 PM »
i was thinking about that...might work

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2008, 04:30:57 PM »
i currently have a 3.5 year old panasonic dlp, which itself if 17 inches deep.  so putting a stand a foot from the wall means that the tv is a minimum of 29 inches out from the wall.   the couch would basically be 3 feet from there so the back wouldn't be blocking entrance to the kitchen.  it would look like the tv is in the middle of the room

Someone, somewhere, is screaming:  Flat Panel LCD / Plasma Upgrade!!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline scb

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2008, 05:42:09 PM »
unfortunately you're right

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2008, 08:33:43 PM »
with a TV like that mounting might not have been the best idea anyways, I had one and it weighed a ton, I wouldn't think that would be safe to mount.

Would it be possible to find some sort of shelf/stand that would place it over the fireplace, kind of to raise it above and extend the fireplace mantle?  Without it looking ghetto.
mics & cameras

Offline scb

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 06:58:45 AM »
sanjay, if i mounted anything over the fireplace, i was definitely going to have to upgrade to plasma or lcd

unfortunately, it's looking like no matter what i do, i have to upgrade , because the dlp just takes up to much space

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 08:14:38 AM »
if you end up going LCD, at least look at the Sony Bravia LCD sets.  My dad just bought a 42" LCD and the picture is freaking fantastic

Offline scb

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 08:16:39 AM »
i ended up ok keeping my old tv but just getting a new stand.  everything is on the right wall.  now my question is: where do i put my center channel (a von schweikert lcr 15, which arrives tomorrow)?  on the floor doesn't seem right, and the tv stand isn't deep enough for it 

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2008, 08:46:50 AM »
put a shelf above the tv...I have one of these:

http://www.htmarket.com/multimount.html

though I havent installed it as I have room below the tv on the shelf directly underneath in the center.  Eventually I am going to do it

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2008, 12:44:06 PM »
good suggestion Nick, that's what I did, but my plasma is really thin... is there any way to set it on top of the TV?  Also how does it sound with the speakers that close together?   The VR-2's I'm borrowing don't sound too good at all that close so I'm trying to figure out if there's anything I can do to remedy that while working in a tight space like yours.
mics & cameras

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2008, 07:17:36 AM »
when i had mine, I thought they sounded best 8' apart (in my room).  I could get to 10' but things started to loosen up w/the soundstage a little too much

Offline scb

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2008, 08:23:06 AM »
my situation is definitely not ideal, but I think they still sound pretty decent that close.  I really have no other option, so I'm dealing with it. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com