Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mics faq?  (Read 3736 times)

Offline DCDireWolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know
mics faq?
« on: July 20, 2004, 08:06:13 PM »
Hey folks.

I did some searching over the past few days in the archive and generally for a newbie's guide to buying mics.

While there are plenty of threads on specific products, there isn't a general thread on the basics.  I don't know jack about mics, what do I need to know, what should I be considering, when I buy my first pair?  What's the criteria to weigh?  I assume there are choices to be made based on style, construction, price, technology, personal bias?

If anyone wants to share their knowledge, I'd (and I'm guessing a few lurkers) would be really grateful.

Thanks again for everyone who makes this forum possible.

Peace.
"It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness."  -Jerry Garcia

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: mics faq?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 01:18:12 AM »
First off what is your budget, what type of music would you like to record.  Open taping or stealth.  I little bit more info would be helpful.  Do you have any thing else like a pre, cables, stand, etc.  +T for joining
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline DCDireWolf

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 08:51:44 AM »
Thanks for replies, and the link.

I don't plan on doing much if any stealth taping, not at this point.  Authorized gigs only.

I'm starting from scratch here, I have a recording device (iRiver H140), and a couple of digital/optical cables, and that's it.  I have a friend's 13 foot stand I can use for now.

I can spend up $800-$1,000 total on mics, and about $400-500 on a preamp.  I'll be taping the ususal jam band subjects, so the rooms will range from small clubs and bars to festivals to outdoor sheds to basketball gyms. 

Thanks again!
"It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness."  -Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 01:51:09 PM »
ADK TLs>UA5 is definitely a great option in that price range, here are a few others:

AKG 300/ck91 ($600 new)>UA5 ($350 new)
MBHO 603/KA200n ($900 new)>MP2 ($350 used)

Any of these options will give you a couple of hundred or more left over for shockmounts, t-bar, cables, etc.

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 02:16:17 PM »
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 02:19:25 PM »
ADK TL's > UA5 (oade mod)

dgi mod + transparent mod or warm mod. i ran TLs>wmod and loved it!

Offline DCDireWolf

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 05:48:14 PM »
Thanks everybody for the suggestions and links.  Research and shopping is going to be fun. 

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 02:01:11 PM »
Thanks everybody for the suggestions and links.  Research and shopping is going to be fun. 

have fun!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 02:03:21 PM »
if you think research is fun wait til you actually start taping and listening to the shows you've taped. it gets even cooler :)

Offline DCDireWolf

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 02:25:15 PM »
Yeah!  I'm pretty excited about it!  Shit, even when i just patched in to someone and did no work other than stopping and starting my recorder I got excited about it.  When I'm running my own rig?  Watch out.  ;)

Peace.

jpschust

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 02:54:28 PM »
if you are actually in DC there are tons of people who own mics that you can patch off of for a while to see what you like

Offline DCDireWolf

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 03:13:32 PM »
I am in DC, work, live and play there.  I've met a couple guys here that tape and who are helping me quite a bit.  I definitely look forward to seeing and hearing what some of you use. 

jpschust

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2004, 03:17:22 PM »
ive got a ton of gear that can be listened to/borrowed/taped with.  im king slut in this region i think

Offline DCDireWolf

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2004, 03:27:25 PM »
Right on.  As soon as I put together some sort of rig (minus mics for the time being) together you'll definitely see me around.  I'll be the guy asking a lot of questions and not understanding the answers  ;) ???

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com