Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

Best All-purpose Closed-back Headphones?

(1/3) > >>

jmz93:
Hi. I'm looking for your opinions on closed-backed headphones for home studio use.

I know that open-backed cans provide a wider, more natural sound stage (I'm thinking Grado here), and probably a flatter frequency response. But, I need to switch to something close-backed here for greater leakage control.

I'm interested in your thoughts on the following models. My criteria, in order of importance are:
1. Flattest possible frequency response,
2. Comfort
3. Leakage control/isolation.

Sound quality is my chief concern here, for tracking, but also some mixing/production duties if possible.

I'm considering:
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Beyerdynamic DT 700 PRO X
Adam Audio SP-5
Sony MDR-7509HD

I regularly use and love a pair of Adam Audio A7X powered monitors. I was curious about their headphone offering, the SP-5, until I read the Sound on Sound review, which described them having almost a smile curve... hyped bass and treble, with thinner mids. That gave me pause. I want accurate reproduction if I can find it in a close-backed headphone.

Are there any models not on my list that I should also investigate?

Whatever I buy will be driven by an RME Babyface Pro FS, so that gives me flexibility in terms of impedance.

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

rocksuitcase:
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x      user here. I was gifted my first pair by my wife after she consulted with kindms. About 7 years later I bought a new pair. Advantage with detachable cable.
YEARS ago, I had a pair of Beyer headphones for my studio use. All of the engineers I worked with had a choice, but most used Beyers of differing models.

grawk:
my experience is generally iems will be better at accurate monitoring than most closed back headphones. The market went open back for headphones because closed were hard to do well. That said, the sonys and ath headphones are at least known commodities.

Ronmac:
Personally I split my main headphone time between 3 different products:

Grado SR225i open back: Flattest response and very comfortable on the head, although the cable is very thick and not flexible

Audio Technica MT50x: A bit bass heavy but comfortable to wear

Sony MDR7506: A bit bass light and the lightest to wear. I have been using my current pair for 20+ years and they are still ticking! They are part of my bag/mobile rig, so don't get the same amount of use as the other two. Although they don't sound as "nice" as the other two they reveal more in the field environment.

I also use Shure IEMs in the field and a few lower priced Sonys for "sanity checks" during editing/mixing.

When my Grado phones fail I will buy a set of closed back Beyer DT770 250ohm. Having demoed a dozen or so different open backs during the last year I didn't find any that excited me. To me, the closed back Beyers sound great and are not expensive. In fact during my last serious demo session they were the least expensive of all the models I tried (open and closed) and revealed all of the issues I knew were in my source material. Not everyone will have the same experience as me, and that only proves that you need to pick a pair that are comfortable, and get to know them well by listening to a lot of good, and not so good, material.

jmz93:
Thanks for all your thoughts guys.

I've narrowed it down to AKG K371's and BeyerDynamic DT-770 pro's.
Anybody tried both?
I haven't been able to audition either yet.

The AKG's have a detachable cable. I generally take care of my things and don't plan on using these in the field though...

Any pros/cons on 80 versus 250 ohms for the DT-770's?
I'm thinking my RME interface will probably bet a better fit with lower impedance.
I honestly don't understand the difference that much. Higher impedance equals more resistance equals needs a bigger amp to drive them adequately?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version