Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: pre w/ compression, line in, and low-z  (Read 6944 times)

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Old and in the way.
Re: pre w/ compression, line in, and low-z
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2005, 03:06:59 AM »
Simply put it's a dynamics processor.  a Finalizer is a multi-band compressor/limiter. But it does so much more.  Tightens Bass, helps to optimize your levels to their fullest, Soft limit, High Quality A/D, D/A converters,   You use it between the source and your 2 track mixdown.  Alot of FOH engineers use them between the board and the PA. A nice finalizer is key to mastering.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2005, 12:10:02 PM »
I often use a plugin called a "puncher" in my final mastering and that sounds like a similar effect.  My understanding is that it adds harmonics.  It certainly makes things sound more punchy.  I'm not sure exactly how it does it so maybe it is a totally diferent animal.  I'm not looking to add more rack gear, are there finalizer plugins?  I have tons of plugins so most likely I have something.   I will look tonight.
     Thanks again Brad, good info!

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2005, 01:04:52 PM »
I often use a plugin called a "puncher" in my final mastering and that sounds like a similar effect.  My understanding is that it adds harmonics.  It certainly makes things sound more punchy.  I'm not sure exactly how it does it so maybe it is a totally diferent animal.  I'm not looking to add more rack gear, are there finalizer plugins?  I have tons of plugins so most likely I have something.   I will look tonight.

Matt

That sounds like it is more akin to an Aphex Aural Exciter or one of the BBE Sonic Maixmizer units, which do add harmonics.  A finalizer doesnt add harmonics. Im sure TC has a finalizer plugin, but not sure about which platforms it supports.  One thing Ill bet is that it isnt cheap.  Here are links to a couple of rack models.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/Finalizer96k
http://www.tcelectronic.com/FinalizerExpress
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2005, 05:39:01 PM »

Matt

That sounds like it is more akin to an Aphex Aural Exciter or one of the BBE Sonic Maixmizer units, which do add harmonics.  A finalizer doesnt add harmonics. Im sure TC has a finalizer plugin, but not sure about which platforms it supports.  One thing Ill bet is that it isnt cheap.  Here are links to a couple of rack models.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/Finalizer96k
http://www.tcelectronic.com/FinalizerExpress

That looks pretty sweet Brad.  Most likely a simple compresor switch on a pre isn't going to give me what I need.
     Now does anyone want to recoment a portable pre that will do line in, Hi-Z, analog out,  and phantom?

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2005, 05:47:53 PM »
Have you thought about any of the products by FMR audio.  I have heard good things about them, especially the compressor.  They are small (1/3 rack space).  They have a mic pre, a compressor, and a leveling amplifier.  The only problem is they are AC powered.  The pre has insert points as well. Small enough to easily fit in a bag.

http://www.fmraudio.com/productspage.htm

PS - The pre has 1/4 inch inputs as well as XLR and also has a phase switch.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 05:51:53 PM by bluegrass_brad »
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2005, 06:00:11 PM »
Anther one to consider.  A little pricey, but it is a Neve, so you cant really go wrong.  There is also a thread here on how this is powered in the field. Not sure if it has 1/4 capability though.  You could always use a direct box for Hi Z input when needed.

http://www.rupertneve.com/
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

Offline cfbarlow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I can See Audio
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2005, 05:33:08 PM »
Hay Matt have you checked out the Edirol UA-25,  I think it has everything you need

"Edirol UA-25 USB Audio and MIDI Interface at a Glance:

* Stereo audio interface with phantom-powered mic/line preamps and S/PDIF digital I/O
    * Includes +4dBu balanced outputs for pro connections
    * Zero latency direct monitoring
    * Built-in analog compressor for clip-free field recording
    * Completely portable: rugged, USB powered, never needs a wall socket

Premium quality stereo audio interface
The UA-25 uses powerful analog electronics coupled with well-matched A/D & D/A converters for superior audio fidelity. You'll find a wide range of inputs and outputs in a compact case - a pair of Neutrix XLR/TRS combo jacks with phantom power, a Hi-Z port for guitar direct connection and 24-bit/96kHz S/P DIF optical I/O ports. The UA-25 also features a pair of high quality microphone preamps using premium analog components. It provides a clean recording environment to give you crystal-clear recording.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UA25/

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2005, 06:01:20 PM »
focusrite voice master.  notn sure about the price though.  1 channel, compression, tube emulation, harmonics....

the focusrite octopre is 8 channels and all have compression.  all can be used as a line input as well. it's output is DB25pin though. 800 bucks

presonus might have a unit you are looking for but i'm not a big fan of their products.

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2005, 06:14:24 PM »
good info - thanks for the discussion   +T
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2005, 06:21:15 PM »
Thanks guys,
the ua-25 seems like it would work, but I don't know if they can be digi-modded.
I think I'm just going to go kinda backwards.  I'm planning on picking up a digimod ua5 and keeping my v2.  2 chan I'll go v-2 > ua5 > jb3, and 4chan I'll use some attentuaters if the board is too hot.  I REALLY like the v2 with the mbho omni's and also with my c-1 LD's.  A little warmth would suit the mbho cards, but even then it is still a nice combo IMHO... I don't think I could loose the v2.  That will give me everything but the compression and I'm not going to stress about that... This will be a fun rig and if I want to do it right I'll bring my multi rig out.  Then I still have 2 more pre's for the multi rig, and one can be used as a instrument input.

Matt

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2005, 09:11:13 AM »

the UA-25 cannot be digi-modded, unfortunately.  Atleast that is what Doug has said.  YMMV
I thought I remembered that being said as well.  Either can't be done or there was another reason that it was pointless.

Matt

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com