Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Laptop>LCD TV Cable?  (Read 8394 times)

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
Laptop>LCD TV Cable?
« on: October 03, 2009, 01:22:32 AM »
I want to hook my laptop up to my 37" LCD TV (Sharp Aquos) and want to make sure I get the right cable.  The manual says to use an "RCB" cable but near as I can tell this is the same cable as a computer monitor (VGA?) and it needs to be male on both ends.  I searched around a bit on the internet but was confused by all the discussion of resolutions, VGA vs SVGA vs UVGA, etc.  Can anyone advise me on what I need to get?  It looks like the connection also requires an 1/8" mini for the audio but that part is easy. 
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline momule

• Needs to get out more...
Re: Laptop>LCD TV Cable?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 02:14:36 PM »
Hey Dan, 

RCB will be a bit better quality. But more cost usually.   You could get an adapter cable such as this to go lappy > VGA > RCB > TV

Or

VGA Supports 4 bits per pixel (16bit color) SVGA supports 8bits per pixel (32 bit color) Most SVGA cables are backwards compatible to work with VGA.   

This would be what your looking for. 

(It also includes a mini cable for sound to keep things nice and organized)
10 ft cable 
http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&id=ID9429835&partno=01646&search=SVGA_CABLE&rsite=g.svga&rcode=

15 ft cable
http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&id=ID9429835&partno=01649&search=SVGA_CABLE&rsite=g.svga&rcode=

25ft cable
http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&id=ID9429835&partno=01647&search=SVGA_CABLE&rsite=g.svga&rcode=
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 02:17:41 PM by momule »
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline dgale

• Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 09:09:13 PM »
Thanks for the input - I'm a bit confused...what's the difference between a RGB cable and a VGA cable?  For my PC laptop, I presume I'd use the output that looks just like the cable you pictured above and the TV has the same input jack labeled "PC in", along with a spot for the 1/8" mini (both are female jacks).  So the cable you show should work fine but what is the rgb cable that should be better quality?  Does it use the same jacks?  As for my MacBook Pro laptop, it's pretty new to me and I'm still adjusting to the Mac world but it doesn't have any such jack...so for the MAc users out there, are there options for it that I could use?  Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, I should understand this stuff better at this point in my life.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline momule

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 09:45:24 PM »
Thanks for the input - I'm a bit confused...what's the difference between a RGB cable and a VGA cable?  For my PC laptop, I presume I'd use the output that looks just like the cable you pictured above and the TV has the same input jack labeled "PC in", along with a spot for the 1/8" mini (both are female jacks).  So the cable you show should work fine but what is the rgb cable that should be better quality?  Does it use the same jacks?  As for my MacBook Pro laptop, it's pretty new to me and I'm still adjusting to the Mac world but it doesn't have any such jack...so for the MAc users out there, are there options for it that I could use?  Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, I should understand this stuff better at this point in my life.

Looks like the mac has DVI out. Some tv's have a DVI in.  Not sure about yours.  But you would have to get a separate cable or adaptor for the mac > tv
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline Cashimero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 03:28:10 AM »
RGB cable and VGA cable is almost the same. If it is suitable then it is ok. But for me these two cables are not fit with my ports so I use S-Video.

Offline gkatz

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 03:01:40 PM »
do you have HDMI out on either computer? thats the best way to go IMO. im sure your TV has HDMI inputs. I notice the newer macbook pro's have HDMI on em.
the only potential problem with HDMI is that your laptop screen may be slightly cut off on one side, I'm not sure about this problem.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline rjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 08:06:28 PM »
VGA Supports 4 bits per pixel (16bit color) SVGA supports 8bits per pixel (32 bit color) Most SVGA cables are backwards compatible to work with VGA.

VGA cables are analog - by the time the signal reaches the cable, the bit depth has already been taken care of by the source. There's no such thing as an "SVGA" cable - SVGA is a resolution (800x600), and a reasonably well-made VGA cable can easily handle full-HD (1920x1080) without trouble.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline greenone

• Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
Dan, I support a 20-classroom building running all sorts of laptops that output to VGA cables, so I deal with these connectors all the time...the Macbook Pros sold over the last two years output their video over a Mini-Displayport connector. So you can either go MiniDP to VGA (cheapest route, as VGA cables are a dime a dozen) or MiniDP to HDMI (more expensive, but straight digital). This article might be worth looking at before you buy your connector, especially if you own the latest revision (as of April 2010): http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/04/new-macbook-pros-support-audio-over-mini-displayport.ars
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Dkrogh

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • When is my next upgrade?
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 06:03:33 PM »
...the Macbook Pros sold over the last two years output their video over a Mini-Displayport connector. So you can either go MiniDP to VGA (cheapest route, as VGA cables are a dime a dozen) or MiniDP to HDMI (more expensive, but straight digital). This article might be worth looking at before you buy your connector, especially if you own the latest revision (as of April 2010): http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/04/new-macbook-pros-support-audio-over-mini-displayport.ars

When I hookup my mac mini to my sony bravia I use MiniDP > HDMI and since it doesn't carry audio I use a 1/8 > L/R RCA.  At least that is what is on my TV to hook up.  If your TV is newer the manual should state how to hookup a laptop/computer to the connectors.  Search ebay for the connectors that you need for the mac or use monoprice.com (which I have used and make great cables).
AKG ck63 > AKG c480b > Marantz PMD670

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com