Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need Audacity help in reducing spike  (Read 14375 times)

Offline taylordb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Need Audacity help in reducing spike
« on: April 22, 2007, 02:31:22 PM »
I recently recorded Umphrey's McGee and need some advice on how to handle a situation with Audacity.  Right now the entire show is in one large wav file.  The last thing I will do is break it up into individual tracks.  To bring the levels up so I don't have to crank up my playback system I want to select the entire file and either normalize or amplify (I still need to figure out what the real difference is) to the maximum extent without clipping.  My problem is that I have one very small instant in the recording where there is a spike.   This spike will control the amount of amplification that will be made to the entire show (because the spike is the part that will clip 1st).  Is there any way in Audacity to reduce that one spike to a lower level?  I have looked into the draw function, but I have to be zoomed in so tight that I loose perspective in what I am doing.  Just wondering if anyone has experience in this.

Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Need Audacity help in reducing spike
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 02:35:58 PM »
At least two options:

Volume envelope or compression (either soft-knee or limiting).  Not positive Audacity's compression works properly, but I think the limiting does (just doesn't sound as good to my ears as softer compression).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline taylordb

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 03:11:08 PM »
Thanks Brian.  I'm guessing that I apply the volume envelope or compression to just the affected region?  The spike region is very very small so I'm not sure that the degradation would be too noticeable.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 06:37:35 PM »
If the spike is small, like you say it is, do what I do............zoom in and highlight the spike, and use Amplify ----- but amplify a negative amount of dBs (say, -9dB).  You'll fix it and never even hear what you did, if you do this right.  I weed out loud clapping spikes like this all the time.

Like Brian says, the compressor function is either broken or doesn't work at all (V1.2.4).

VIVE` AUDACITY!

;D
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 11:23:43 PM »
In SF8, as well as Audacity, I use the draw function to correct isolated problems like this.  Once you get used to what the waveforms look like zoomed in, you can easily see where the problem is.  You can always zoom out a little, and then back, if you feel lost.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline taylordb

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 11:06:58 AM »
Thanks guys.  I went in and practiced using the draw function.  It took a while to get use to it, but after a while I got pretty good at it.  I was able to get rid of them fine without affecting the sound (at least to me).  Although I don't have any to give, +T's for all your help  :)

dorrcoq

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 11:08:17 PM »
...zoom in and highlight the spike, and use Amplify ----- but amplify a negative amount of dBs (say, -9dB).  You'll fix it and never even hear what you did, if you do this right.  I weed out loud clapping spikes like this all the time.

Now THAT is a hell of a good tip!  Thanks, +T

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 11:33:57 PM »
...zoom in and highlight the spike, and use Amplify ----- but amplify a negative amount of dBs (say, -9dB).  You'll fix it and never even hear what you did, if you do this right.  I weed out loud clapping spikes like this all the time.

Backatcha!  Payback for all the great info I get around here  ;) :) ;D

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 01:26:42 AM »

QFT.  Do this all the time and it's a real time saver.  Additionally, there's a Repeat function in the Effect menu, so you can match the de-amplification percentage each time you highlight a spiked area. Short cut is apple-r.   :)
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 07:13:47 AM »

QFT.  Do this all the time and it's a real time saver.  Additionally, there's a Repeat function in the Effect menu, so you can match the de-amplification percentage each time you highlight a spiked area. Short cut is apple-r.   :)

Ahhhh.....that's what the repeat function can be used for.  +T   

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 05:44:32 PM »

Ahhhh.....that's what the repeat function can be used for.  +T   

You'll love it!  It's a way of life!   ;)

Backatcha!
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 09:53:35 PM »
Bumping a super old thread...but just checking if we still feel this amplify by negative db's is still a good option. I've been playing around with compression and the envelope tool for clapping, but this -db option seems like a good idea too.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 10:01:15 PM »
I'm faster at zero-ing in on the spike, and pulling down the envelope nowadays.  Do a few hundred, and you get fast.... 8)

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 10:14:51 PM »
I'm faster at zero-ing in on the spike, and pulling down the envelope nowadays.  Do a few hundred, and you get fast.... 8)

Is there a difference in sound?

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 11:03:38 PM »

Is there a difference in sound?

Do it both ways, invert one, then combine them.  There's the difference.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com