Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: external power for D50?  (Read 5460 times)

Offline j.mart

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
external power for D50?
« on: May 04, 2009, 01:53:07 PM »
maybe it's just me, but i can't frikin stand AA batteries (esp. when it won't take 1.2V rechargeables)... so what's everyone using as an external power source for their D50?
semi-retired

rec:
AT943 (o, c) / DPA SMK4061
Wendt X2 / ST-9100
PCM-D50 / SD 744T

archive
last.fm

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: external power for D50?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 02:08:02 PM »
maybe it's just me, but i can't frikin stand AA batteries (esp. when it won't take 1.2V rechargeables)... so what's everyone using as an external power source for their D50?
It runs forever on AA batteries.  It even has a great standby mode that lasts forever.  No need for external power unless you need more than 12h, or perhaps as some kind of permanent/installed setup.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline j.mart

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 07:37:30 PM »
It runs forever on AA batteries.  It even has a great standby mode that lasts forever.  No need for external power unless you need more than 12h, or perhaps as some kind of permanent/installed setup.

Richard

second would be correct. i don't mind dragging around an extra piece of equip if that represents me not having to worry with batteries after 10h. anything but having the D50 crap out during an important set.
semi-retired

rec:
Wendt X2 / ST-9100
PCM-D50 / SD 744T

archive
last.fm

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 10:37:17 AM »
The D50 can use 1.2v NiMH rechargeables -- that's all I ever used.  I think you can easily get 10-12 hours off a set, which has always been plenty for me.  I can't envision a scenario where I cannot find time to change the batteries given that time window.

That said, I haven't used an external battery pack, and I don't know anyone who has.  I do wonder if it will work, though.  I got my D50 used and it didn't come with an AC adapter.  I tried 4-5 6v adapters I had on hand, including two different ones made by Sony themselves, and none of them worked.  It seems like the D50 is very particular on what will work as external adapter.

Please let us know if you find anything that works, but I'd recommend getting a couple sets of NiMH batteries and swapping them out if necessary.  I have a couple sets of "pre-charged" NiMHs (aka, enloop, energy-on, etc).  These batteries lose very little of their charge over time, so you can keep an extra set or two charged and ready in your bag for months at a time.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline j.mart

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 06:17:55 PM »
The D50 can use 1.2v NiMH rechargeables -- that's all I ever used.  I think you can easily get 10-12 hours off a set, which has always been plenty for me.  I can't envision a scenario where I cannot find time to change the batteries given that time window.

really? i bought 4 *really* expensive duracell batteries and it won't turn on... i'll try another brand sometime

true that on the DC. that's what i was wondering too, if anyone found something that works on the wall for the D50.
semi-retired

rec:
Wendt X2 / ST-9100
PCM-D50 / SD 744T

archive
last.fm

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 09:25:21 PM »
i'd dig on a wall wart for the d50 as well. bought used, runs flawless but came with no accessories.  i've gotten at least 12 of run time.  which will just about fill up all the memory ive got in there.

i keep a set of AA's in the bag and some AA rechargable (powerex - i don't think they are slow drain, so i charge them every couple of weeks)  wonder if any of those wally world batteries would power it.

mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline dgny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 03:44:02 PM »
I use an eco-charge. It powers the D 50 with no issues,I also run the eco to my SD mp2.
Never ran low on juice for a show.Also My D-50 came with an Ac adapter,so sony must
sell them.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 04:03:03 PM by dgny »
MBHO 603 ka500>SD mp2> Sony D-50

Offline rexy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 08:11:16 PM »
Hi ,

I use rechargables 2500mah. no worries. lasts for ages...
(I also have some 1.5v lithium AA's in the kit bag in case)

re external plug pak, in Australia you don't get one supplied.
I happened to have an old nokia phone charger, nominal 5.7v 800mah. (open circuit voltage of 6v)
Bought an appropriate plug to suit D50. works fine.

Rexy

I have had my D50 for about 2 months now. I love it!!

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 02:28:58 AM »
A warning about lithium batteries, as I ran into a problem with them tonight.  They do not display their true power state on the battery meter on the D50.  I was at a show tonight with Tombs, Pelican, and Isis and my D50 completely died before Isis when it was showing full battery power during the Pelican set.  How it went from full power to completely dying is beyond my comprehension, but the battery meter probably has something to do with it.

These were a set of lithiums with many hours on them so it is not like I put in a fresh set and the thing immediately died; I think they had around 40 hours on them.  I am going to stick with alkaline from now on, however, so I can have an accurate reading on the battery meter.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline johnfitz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 05:53:01 PM »
This thread is several years old, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience powering a D-50 since it's been active.

I'm hoping to get an external battery that would power both a usb device like the SD Pre2 and the D-50 at the same time.

Even with the fantastic AA battery life on the D-50 it would be nice to be able to just plug it in and never worry about recharging/replacing batteries again, especially since I'll have to power a pre-amp anyway.

I was also wondering if anyone knew if the the DC adapter tip for the D-50 is Sony's usual proprietary design or if I might have any luck finding one for it.

Thanks for any input anybody can offer!

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 11:15:43 PM »
The D50 can use 1.2v NiMH rechargeables -- that's all I ever used.

really? i bought 4 *really* expensive duracell batteries and it won't turn on... i'll try another brand sometime

yeah, I'm with Todd, I use 1.2v nimh rechargables. Can't remember the brand but they aren't special. I change mine after about 6 hours of run time because I have trust issues with power anyway, but I've never had them fail.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

cashandkerouac

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 11:31:35 AM »
The D50 can use 1.2v NiMH rechargeables -- that's all I ever used.

yeah, I'm with Todd, I use 1.2v nimh rechargables. Can't remember the brand but they aren't special. I change mine after about 6 hours of run time because I have trust issues with power anyway, but I've never had them fail.

i've also had no problems running rechargable AA batteries with the D50.   

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com