Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices 702 vs 722 question  (Read 14099 times)

Offline Petrus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sound Devices 702 vs 722 question
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 03:39:39 AM »
I love the redundant backup of the 722.
I've never realized a difference in file size (denoting dropped data) between the cf and hdd; but I usually use the hdd files for archive (out of habit, nothing else).

My SD722 is configured to recover from write failures, not stop, so the HD file was perfect, CF files were named T114 and T114A and about 20 seconds were missing between them.

Offline Dave Ferris

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 02:18:27 AM »
Hi-

Brand new here. I'm looking at the 722 to record my 2005 NY Steinway D concert grand and my vocal.
I would probably go with mics like the industry standard AKG 414 and perhaps a Royer ribbon mic like a 121/122.

I'm a pro jazz musician/pianist/vocalist who is intimidated by computer recording. I understand the SD recorders have for the best pres available, head and shoulders above the Marantz 671 and the new 661 and just about everything else. So one question would be------Am I going to be satisfied with the quality of the recording using these mics has compared to getting an entry level iMac and a good interface?

One drag for me on SD 722 is that I can't overdub vocals after putting down the piano track, where on the computer that wouldn't be the case.

I wouldn't necessarily be taking this in the field, mostly staying in my studio. I know  part of the steep price tag is the rugged build quality for the field , so I guess I'm trying to figure out if this is a good way to go.

I've been speaking with Nick in support over at SD, he's very helpful answering all my lame questions. I saw this thread and wondered if anyone might use these particular recorders for similar applications.

Thanks for any advice.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 02:28:44 AM by Dave Ferris »

Offline Petrus

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 03:26:09 AM »
As much as I like my SD722 it sounds like another solution would be better for you: if you are mostly staying in the studio and need overdubs. You have to have a DAW anyhow, why not bite the bullet and get Prism Orpheus: 8 channels of great quality AD/DA, 4 very good micpres, FireWire to PC/Mac. Does not even cost much more than SD722. I am thinking about getting one to function as my main rig with a laptop and using SD722 as backup.

There are other cheaper and perfectly passable 8 track AD/DA units, like Motu Traveller, but what I have been able to gather the Prism Orpheus is The Thing at the moment, even better than Prism's higher end studio units. There is a waiting list for them, though, the Brittish supplier I was talking to had one unit free, other 3 he had been able to source were bought by Elton John... Price was 2800€, about 300 more than what I had to pay for my SD722 (Finnish hi-tax price...).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 07:02:12 AM by Petrus »

Offline Dave Ferris

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 04:06:16 AM »
Thanks Petrus for the reply.

Regarding that Prism Orpheus it looks like I could buy 2 SD 722s, they appear to be selling at 5K.

Right now I don't have a dedicated computer in my detached studio/piano room, just an older PC in my house. Like I said earlier, I'm a computer idiot when it comes down to recording and I'm not sure I want to hassle with learning how to function on it. I spend a lot of time at the piano practicing. The overdubbing is an issue, perhaps. I 'm not really into the typical Midi/sequence thing that most keyboard guys do. I'm more of an Acoustic/Jazz/classical guy, so with vocals I could just track all at once--it would just be piano and voice. I know the bleed is an issue that I would have to deal with though.

The SD 722 seemed like a good way to go because of the mic pres. I'd get more out of those mics hopefully.

Right now I'm just fishing around for opinions and suggestions trying to figure the best route to take with this.

Thanks again.

Offline Justinasia

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 08:03:17 AM »

I wouldn't necessarily be taking this in the field, mostly staying in my studio. I know  part of the steep price tag is the rugged build quality for the field , so I guess I'm trying to figure out if this is a good way to go.

I've very new to all this, so my advice is to be taken as amateur, but maybe the guys here can say what they think of it:
If you don't need the durability of the SD 722, you could save money by getting the Fostex fr-2le. People say it is professional in terms of sound quality. Also Doug Oade does mods on it to make it better, if you buy from him:
http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/hard_disc_recorders/FR-2LE_upgrades.html

I'm not affiliate of Doug's, but have heard a lot of good things about him and about this unit since I have been also researching what to get myself.

If you don't want to work with the computer, should it not be possible to record the first track, then listen to that with your headphones while making the second track, playing with a separate player such as a ipod or stereo or something, while recording the second track (on the Fostex or SD 722)? Then fit the two together on a computer later, or ask someone else to do that even?

I would be interested to hear the answer to this as I was actually thinking of doing the same myself. I thought the only trouble might be to get the 2 separate recordings in time once on the computer. I thought to record a metronome on the beginning (extra space) of the first track, then on the beginning of the second track I could tap in time with the metronome (listened from the first track), so they could be later synched. Is this too rustic? Or are there better techniques for this?

Offline Mike R.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 12:11:28 PM »

Justin,

In general you can't count on precise synchronization between two devices unless there is some mechanism to link their clock rates together.  The problem is that the sample or playback rates are not exact.

What should be good enough is to play your beat track (recorded metronome or whatever) through the iPod and then record your multiple tracks on your recorder. (the same recorder for each).  They should sync acceptably well.  You could also use a blinking (or some other no-sound) metronome to keep your beat.

This sort is sync is probably not necessary for a voice-over type of application that Dave Ferris asked (but it might be!), but it usually is necessary for multi-track music.

Some pro devices have the ability to take an external clock signal, or produce one.  This sort of sync is one of the reasons they do that.

AE5100
AT3032  --> MixPre-3ii
M-88TG

Offline JackHenry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 10:43:42 PM »
I'm reasonably sure that if an external HDD is Firewire 800, that it can be powered directly from the 702. Firewire 400 can't.

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 07:48:50 AM »
The 702 does not have FW800, as your post seems to imply.  I am able to power my FW400 external hard drive from my 702.  In fact, the 702 will power the drive from internal battery power only, even though SD says you can't (or perhaps shouldn't) do it.  Running the 702 + EHDD off the internal battery does suck the battery down pretty fast, though.

Offline Dave Ferris

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 01:32:10 AM »
After talking with more of my studio friends, the SD 722 probably isn't the best way to go for me.

I think an iMac with the Apogee interface, Logic and a pair of the AKG 414s might be better (although I know it's more $$ to invest in) for my purposes. Like I said, this is for my studio only, not the field.

Thanks for your responses though.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 01:43:38 PM by Dave Ferris »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com