Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How reliable is the microtracker?  (Read 15707 times)

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: How reliable is the microtracker?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2006, 05:14:14 PM »
if you have any real use for a windows mobile pda, the dell axim x51v, a (gasp) core sounds pdaudio card coupled with the excellent live2496 software has been a VERY reliable bitbucket setup for me.  I'm able to do seamless autosplits on 4gb sd media at 24/96 too

The axim has proven to be quite sturdy so far too.  I don't use any special case (though there are plenty) and I've read of field testers repeatedly dropping axims from 10'+ onto concrete floors without damage.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 06:10:43 PM by dnsacks »

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 05:36:17 PM »
Using it as a bit dump, only user error. 
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2006, 02:58:44 PM »
i had trouble w/mine, but after some firmware upgrades to 1.4.3 everything worked out fine and dandy at that point.
dont own it anymore though.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2006, 08:11:53 PM »
i had trouble w/mine, but after some firmware upgrades to 1.4.3 everything worked out fine and dandy at that point.
dont own it anymore though.

You must've hosed it, Nick, b/c it worked fine for me on the old firmware.  :P
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2006, 07:42:24 AM »
yup.  it worked great w/the 1.2.3 firmware.  then I had to go and upgrade it and fudged it all up.  the 1.4.x software fixed its wagon though.

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2006, 12:55:46 PM »
yup.  it worked great w/the 1.2.3 firmware.  then I had to go and upgrade it and fudged it all up.  the 1.4.x software fixed its wagon though.

Exactly, It worked fine with 1.2.3, and then it started working fine with 1.4.3 .

I had some problems with 1.3.X, and went back to 1.2.3 until everyone ok'd the 1.4.3 .

I didn't feel like being the firmware tester anymore.

I always run 24/48.

Once again, I run a JB3 backup, and have never lost any data. Maybe just 8 bits here and there, when I had to go with my backup.

I am also suprised that I really can't tell any difference between the truncated 16 bit copy and a dithered and resampled 16 bit copy.
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2006, 04:20:26 PM »
Once again, I run a JB3 backup, and have never lost any data. Maybe just 8 bits here and there, when I had to go with my backup.

I am also suprised that I really can't tell any difference between the truncated 16 bit copy and a dithered and resampled 16 bit copy.

I really don't think any of us can hear a difference.
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2006, 04:25:29 PM »
it's pretty solid for me on the new firmware.  i've had more issues with the v3 battery running down than the MT crapping out.

my only complaints are:
1) no true lossless auto-split...you still lose a couple seconds automatically starting a new file, which admittedly is only relevant to running at 24-bit...due to this, and the price of CF media, i also only run at 24/48 and haven't even attempted 24/96.
2) no way around 2GB limit
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2006, 04:26:32 PM »

I really don't think any of us can hear a difference.

Really?  I've always found my 24 > 16 bit truncation accidents awful sounding.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2006, 01:01:16 PM »
I have not any real problems in the year plus I had the MT. The original firmware was terrible compared to the latest, but for the most part the last few firmware's were fixing small things.

It is important to find a CF card that the MT likes, and there are threads on that, and I always record at 16 bit, since that is how I play the file too, so I don't really have the 2gb filesplit issue.

I have used the deck as a bit bucket and as a stealth recorder, and found both ways fine. I have not lost any recordings, but of course I have missed a few seconds of the beginning of a show here and there... :-X

Currently I am back to just using the MT as a stealth recorder. I do slap on a battery pack, because I have a 5gb microdrive and it eats power. At some point I'll change when I find a good reliable 4gb card that is cheap. I also recently added the SP powered battery box that snaps right on top of the MT, I like that a lot too, it takes up much less room than my home made 1/4trs>1/8 dongle. I recently got a Tascam HD P2,for wide open recording and that is simpler than using the MT along with a UA-5 which I used for many months with no problems at all and great results.

I don't think you can get anything better for stealth or portability. That deck is amazing for it's size, and whether with the t-mic or a little better set of small mics, it is fantastic, a whole world away from the cassette shows I made in the last 3 decades. 8)
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2006, 05:29:53 PM »
I think most of the people that use microdrives do so because they are cool! not because they perform better then Flash ram.
I use Schoeps MK-41's because they are cool, i use a v-3 because they are cool.
I use microdrives in my mt 24/96 because they were 1/2 the price of flash cards!
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline svenkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2006, 06:39:20 PM »
V3 bc Im cool  8)
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline phatDats4u

• Balloon Slayer
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • The best things are not things
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 02:14:55 AM »
I had a lot of problems with the MT- it lost about half the sets I taped with it.  On paper you can't beat it though.  When it comes down to it, it is what it is, a recorder made by m-audio to be cheap and do it's job- just barely
MC930's > Mini-Me > MTII

My shows on archive

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 04:38:58 AM »
I had a lot of problems with the MT- it lost about half the sets I taped with it.  On paper you can't beat it though.  When it comes down to it, it is what it is, a recorder made by m-audio to be cheap and do it's job- just barely

Can you be more specific in describing the problems you experienced? 

Sometimes a deck is only working as well as user settings, battery capacity, and quality of connected devices allows.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 07:07:53 AM »
"eh"
sure, it works for 24/48, but remember to start that new file!!, and if a set runs longer than 2 hours, be prepared to do a quick stop/start or have a gap in the new file if it starts by itself in the middle of a song.
not good.  not acceptable, imo.

its analog inputs sound like ass comparred to the R9.
Unless you are running a V3/Mm3 or some other outboard DAC..., I think 99% of the people here would be VERY satisfied running "line in" and letting the little deck handle the A/D.  Its not SD 7xx quality, but it sounds really nice.
imo.

Bit buckets are dead to me, once these Korgs come out.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 07:09:35 AM by Nick's Picks »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com