Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M-Audio Microtrack  (Read 14672 times)

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
M-Audio Microtrack
« on: April 12, 2007, 02:02:12 PM »
A lot of people have said they have some reservations about the M-Audio Microtrack, but to me it looks awesome, and I'm seriously considering buying one. What are your opinions on it? I don't wanna hear things like "I'm not comfortable with TRS connections," I wanna hear why. Thanks.
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: M-Audio Microtrack
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 02:09:39 PM »
I am wrong.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 07:30:23 AM by windorabug »
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 02:19:16 PM »
You might not get a ton of responses here, as this topic is not a new one.  Give the search feature a try.   :)

Agree - but time has passed since some of those threads -

Im sort of reconsidering the Microtacker myself - I have three 24 bit A/D converters (and one 20 bit) - might be nice to take advantage of the extra bits - rather than running 16/44 all the time with the JB3...

Seems like they have stayed on the firmware updates - most of the workarounds have been...well, worked out...and only one has exploded!  :P

Am I correct, this is the only 24 bit device with digital input - in its price range?

Also with some cool new Edirol Mixers with built in 24/96 A/Ds in the works - a Microtracker might be nice to have...
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,80916.0.html

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 02:39:29 PM »
You know, there's actually no issues/problems with the MT now after they updated the firmware. It has worked perfectly now. When it just came out there were serious issues - like a lot of stuff. I guess now is the best time for you to get one! (BTW, I don't work for M-Audio or any vendors ;D )

PS Yes, It's the only cheap portable 24 bit recorder with digital in.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 02:43:19 PM »
I think it's an excellent option for a low-cost, 24-bit digital recorder (bit-bucket).  For analog > recorder, I like what I've heard out of the R-1 / R-09 better.  $0.02
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline dkarDaGobert

• Taperssection Regular
  • my english sucks!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 03:43:23 PM »
You know, there's actually no issues/problems with the MT now after they updated the firmware. It has worked perfectly now. When it just came out there were serious issues - like a lot of stuff. I guess now is the best time for you to get one! (BTW, I don't work for M-Audio or any vendors ;D )

the mt can still freeze after loosing the spdif signal (disconnection the spdif-cable while recording or due to low batteries of the a/d preamp)
Mics: MBHO MBP603A / KA200N, Soundprofessionals CMC8-C
Preamps: Sony XLR-1, CoreSound Mic2496, SPSB8
Recorder: Sony PCM-D50, Microtrack 2496, Sony MZ-RH1

Camcorder: Panasonic HDC-HS700

Roving Sign

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 03:46:07 PM »

the mt can still freeze after loosing the spdif signal (disconnection the spdif-cable while recording or due to low batteries of the a/d preamp)

Good to know - I almost always run on AC...and when Im not - my Flying Calf will run for days on a 9V Wally Battery...

Offline JoeKiller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 04:56:10 PM »
The only thing that really sucks about the MT is the non-seamless split.  Otherwise I love mine.
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 05:59:26 PM »
The only thing that really sucks about the MT is the non-seamless split.  Otherwise I love mine.

"Non-seamless split?" Do you mean when tracking a recording in the unit itself?
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline dkarDaGobert

• Taperssection Regular
  • my english sucks!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 06:12:27 PM »
When a file reaches the 2gb limit the mt don´t begin a new track without loosing some seconds
you´ve to press the recordbutton to save the file and press it again to start a new file.

if you´ll record in 24/48 mode the files reaches 2gb after around 1h50min
Mics: MBHO MBP603A / KA200N, Soundprofessionals CMC8-C
Preamps: Sony XLR-1, CoreSound Mic2496, SPSB8
Recorder: Sony PCM-D50, Microtrack 2496, Sony MZ-RH1

Camcorder: Panasonic HDC-HS700

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 06:36:51 PM »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline hawghunter

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Planet of Sound
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 11:21:53 AM »
I would love mine if I had it. Still in the shop, need it for this weekend. I hope it shows up.  Mine died when upgrading firmware. The Customer Service woman was very nice, I told her I need the unit back by the 14th. She said she would move it up in the line for tech and get repaired or replace and have back to me. So I hope it shows up today, my fingers are crossed.

Edit: Just got of the phone with them, they screwed up. Unit won't be delivered till Monday, so I'll miss a show I wanted this weekend. Then she saw we had spoke in the past about needing it the 14th. She says I'll air out another  unit to you for Sat delivery. Then when the other one gets there Monday refuse the shipment. I thought that was very classy of them. What if I forget to refuse the shipment? hhmm....  ;D or  >:D. Nah can't do that.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 03:35:26 PM by hawghunter »
ISO: NIRVANA :), 8/15/91 - The Roxy

930's > MMe

Offline Nixoo

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 04:57:41 PM »
I was thinking about buying the Microtrack, had to choose between the mictrotrack and the Edirol R-09. Didn't need digital inputs, so that argument wasn't of any value for me. Now I had to choose between the non-swappable batterie device and the linejacksmightgetloose-device. I picked the Edirol, white version. Hope they fixed that linejack issue  :o
Now if Microtrack would address the battery issue.. I don't like external battpacks.
Recorders: Edirol R-09, Zoom H2
Mics: Soundman OKMII Pop, AT853 (4.7k mod), DPA4061, CA11 Cards, CA11 Omi, CA14 Cards
CA-Ugly 2 preamp, SP BB, CA BB
Photo/Video: Panasonic TZ40, Panasonic LX100, Canon 550D

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 09:02:05 PM »
External battery packs rule.  Almost everyone uses one or another with almost all gear here.  Hours, sometimes days, of worryless operation.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline king_rhoton

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 02:05:11 PM »
I've got one and used it for over a year now.

Plusses: Small, lightweight, solid-state make it travel-friendly.
            Sound quality seems fine to me.
            I've never had a firmware problem with the unit except when trying to use it for playback with early firmwares.  Recording has been rock-solid for me.
            The level meters are acceptably responsive, but the peaking red LEDs end up being what I watch more (and they're quite handy and visible).
            It'll power and charge via USB, so you can use a laptop as an external battery if you're on the road and have a laptop with you anyway.
            I actually like TRS connections--they make the unit much smaller, and the cables I have to carry can be more compact.

Minuses:  Yes, the non-seamless split is a major drag--fixing it's been a feature request of mine in their support system from almost the beginning.  Thanks to this, I can't just set it recording before the opening act and expect that it'll span through to the end of the show, even though my card's big enough.  It also means that I'm only recording at 24/48 (24 mostly for additional headroom, but it's not clear that it buys you much on the MT) due to trying to work around the 2GB WAV file size limit.
             The internal battery is more of a curiosity than anything useful.  I always end up plugging into AC or using a battery box, and that's more gear and more fuss.  And all external power is via a USB mini-connector, which doesn't lock, so it can pull right out.
             Even though it'll take professional (balanced) cabling, mine doesn't even come close to handling pro-line-levels.  I guess the silver lining here is that I always run with the unit's gain ALL the way down, so I avoid a lot of noise from the unit itself.  Of course, the sound guys don't like cranking my feed SO far down, so occasionally I get clipping; need to get some -20db attenuating 1/4" cables.
             I believe the 1/8" input is only mic-level.
             The supplied mic is, as you'd no-doubt expect, useless for pretty much any music purposes.

Any more questions?  I'm happy to help.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com