Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: {TSKB} Computer Networking Problem??? EDIT: Scratch that...it's a power issue.  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
I am having a problem transferring files to and from my desktop running Windows 7 Pro to my Server 2008 machine.

I can save small files from Win 7 > Server 2008 (I have uTorrent on the Server and save the torrent files to the Server so uTorrent will automatically start downloading the files).

I can stream music (including FLAC files) from the server to my desktop. That sort of has me stumped since streaming the FLAC's is pretty much the same as transfering files (although I guess it's at a slower pace).

The problem is when I try to copy large files in either direction. When I do that it causes the Server to lose network connectivity. The Server is headless, so it is possible that the machine actually re-starts. After I wait a bit I can again see the Server machine on the network. When I remote desktop to the Server it prompts the Shutdown Event Tracker.

This just started happening. I have previously been successful at transferring large files.

The 2 machines are connected (along with my Roku) through a Gigabit Switch which is coming out of my wireless router.

I also connected the Windows 7 machine directly to the Server 2008 machine via CAT5e and had the same issue.

I think the problem is with the Server 2008 machine.

Here is a outline of my network (everything is connected with CAT5e cabling):

Server 2008 Machine
                                                                                                                                                                                                       /
Cable Modem -->  Linksys WRT54GL Wireless Router (running Tomato 1.23 w/DHCP enabled) ---> D-Link 5 port Gigabit Switch -> Windows 7 Machine
                                                                                                                                                                                                       \
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Roku Digital Video Player

Any idea what is going on here, or what I can do to find out what is happening?

My work flow for transferring recording is to dump the raw files onto my desktop, and when I'm done editing I copy the master and tracked out files to the Server for torrenting/backup, so this is a little frustrating.

Hopefully I can figure this out. I'd like to learn more about Server 2008, but this is making me want to just buy a Home Server (and I'd prefer to spend my money on taping equipment vs. a new computer).

EDIT: AH HA! Not a networking issue. I think this is a power issue. I just copied all of the files I was trying to transfer on to a USB thumb drive and plugged it into the Server. It copied about the same amount of data that it makes it though via the network and the machine appears to have shut down (remember it's headless so I can't tell it restarts). I'll have to dig into this further. I do have 5 hard drives in there, but it also has a nice and almost new 550 Watt power supply, and only a 2Ghz Celeron proc so I think I have enough juice...maybe not.

Okay...new question. Any ideas what is going on with my POWER problem?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 12:08:54 PM by Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B) »
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: {TSKB} Computer Networking Problem???
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 12:08:46 PM »
You might FTP to transfer large files; life is a whole lot easier with auto-resume.  There are also other file copy utilities like Robo-copy (command line) or Beyond Compare (GUI) and may provide a workaround.

It almost sounds like it is failing on the reverse name lookup (ip to name, rather than forward name to ip).  Try adding hosts entries to all the machines so that DNS doesn't hiccup and drop the connection.

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+add+hosts+entries&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Thanks. I think I've narrowed this down to an issue with the particular drive I am trying to copy to.

I just copied 4GB of data to another drive in the system over the network without any issue.

I also copied about 10GB from the USB drive to another drive in the system without an issue.

Now I need to figure out what is wrong with that drive. Hopefully it's not about to die (not a huge problem since I have everything backed up in 2 additional locations). I go through hard drives like crazy. I've sent 2 back for warranty in the past 6 months.

The drive in question does serve up a lot of my recordings via bit torrent, so it's lived a hard life.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.197 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com