Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 744/722 "Media too slow" Message  (Read 65418 times)

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
744/722 "Media too slow" Message
« on: March 30, 2005, 11:03:40 PM »
Careful folks, got this one tonight. 

Running 4 channels and it gave me this message.  The drive stopped and reset to the next 'track'.  Pressed record again, and it flew for a few more seconds and it repeated.  Shut down.  Let it sit for a few seconds, then turned it back on.  No more problems for the rest of the session.

Fortunately this was a remote closed session and the talents could be stopped and re-directed.  At a show, different story.

Will send to SD and give you guys an update later...
Southern Recording, Inc.
High Fidelity Audio Capture

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 744/722 "Media too slow" Message
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 11:24:31 PM »
What speed does that drive test at using the internal utility?
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 11:09:18 AM »
4 channels at what data rate?
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 02:14:52 PM »
Update:

The drive is heavily fragmented.

Get in the habit of reformatting the drive as much as you do your desktop - SD suggests even more frequently.
I had reformatted the drive before the Panix Fox run, but they figured that after four days of 3+ hours/day of running 4 channel 24/96 into the drive which populated 95% of the drive space - then to follow it up by jamming a 16/44.1 file at the very end a few days later (without reformatting) taxed the crap out of the machine.

Hindsight is always so transparent.

A warning for the festival season coming up. I'll definitely have to tote the powerbook to festivals in order to dump the files and reformat the drive.  I would certainly think that something on the scale of Tride, HSMF, or even Broo, etc would be just as much or more processing on these drives than the Fox run was.
Southern Recording, Inc.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 02:23:26 PM »
I reformat before every show, so long as I have time to transfer the stuff off in between shows.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 08:44:45 PM »
Update:

The drive is heavily fragmented.

Get in the habit of reformatting the drive as much as you do your desktop - SD suggests even more frequently.
I had reformatted the drive before the Panix Fox run, but they figured that after four days of 3+ hours/day of running 4 channel 24/96 into the drive which populated 95% of the drive space - then to follow it up by jamming a 16/44.1 file at the very end a few days later (without reformatting) taxed the crap out of the machine.

Hindsight is always so transparent.

A warning for the festival season coming up. I'll definitely have to tote the powerbook to festivals in order to dump the files and reformat the drive.  I would certainly think that something on the scale of Tride, HSMF, or even Broo, etc would be just as much or more processing on these drives than the Fox run was.

good info. Thanks.
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 03:53:35 AM »
Very upset that this error popped up last night at the Mule...  Set 1 went great.  Set 2, about 40 minutes in, I noticed the error message pop up...  Sucks b/c we were the only folks FOB and it didn't sound too good in the back

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005, 05:35:30 AM »
i format even the jb3 every few shows unless im at a festi.
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Flarnet

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005, 12:14:06 PM »
Pardon me for mentioning this but...

If the fragmentation of the 7xx works anything like a computer then it will not become fragmented at a festival where nothing is deleted and things just gets added to the drive.
So nobody has to go out and get laptops for the summer.

Offline trajhip2000

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 01:29:22 PM »
happened with my 744T last night - I still had files on it I wanted so I ran "drive repair". missed a couple minutes of music but it seemed to run fine after that.

Steve

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 01:35:10 PM »
This happened with my 722 last night.  Mine is configured to start a new file on drive error so it kept rolling but I have not checked yet.  It happened twice.  If the software was written properly, there should not be any glitch between the two files as long as the time to start a new file is less than the size of the pre-roll buffer.  When I get a chance to open the files tonight, I'll know.  I had the unit locked.  It displayed the error message and then cleared the error message when I started the unlock sequence.  I recall that the new take was about 8 minutes in, so maybe my files are OK.   (This is what I remember, I was nodding off during the entire show).

After originally reading this thread, I reformated my drive.  I've done 6 or so sessions since the format operation and they were all sequentially recorded with no files deleted from the unit since the format.  There should be 0% fragmentation, so that is not an excuse for the behavior on my machine.  One thing that came to mind last night is that I did not see this issue before I upgraded to the recent firmware and before this thread raised my concern about fragmentation, I was selectively removing little files before recording new takes and generally doing everything to cause fragmentation. 

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 01:41:34 PM »
so I ran Tims 722 last night, reformatted on the weekend, and have not seen this error yet...not saying I wont see it, just have not yet...thinking outloud...has anyone had this problem with a 722 that has the stock HD in it?  Just trying to think if there is a common thread here...

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 01:48:01 PM »
on the SD support fourms they mention another firmware comming out soon. Hopefully this will help.

Retired Taper

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005, 07:54:55 PM »
Careful folks, got this one tonight. 

happened with my 744T last night - I still had files on it I wanted so I ran "drive repair". missed a couple minutes of music but it seemed to run fine after that.

Did either of you guys have success pulling the truncated files off of the harddrive? 

Both of the files that were in progress when the error occured are detected as "corrupt" by windows when I try to copy them to my workstation.  ie: I can't get the damn things off the drive.  I ran the 722 HDD repair utility and it reported 9 detected/7 fixed errors.  The files seem to play correctly and sound fine where I sampled them.

Something else wierd is that both files that were in progress at the time of the failures have the same timestamp and sample time span. 

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2005, 10:49:07 PM »
My files came off my drive okay.  They were only as long as restart>drive to slow msg, but I was able to pull them off and see them in PTools.  I was working off a mac platform, but it shouldn't make a difference because in effect it is what the SD drive has done with it.

Boswell, got your message a little late.  Was at RCMH.  Just now getting my shit together from that run.  Now for a short two day break before ... Jazzfest.  Ugh!    ;D

What I'm curious about is the defrag/re-format process.  For a drive this big it seems to do it too fast.  It reformats a 40gig faster than my old G4 can rebuild a 20 gig drive.

Just some thoughts.
Southern Recording, Inc.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com