Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MP-2 vs. Sound Devices MixPre  (Read 14401 times)

Offline tbrown4

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Tim's Adventures in Sound
Sound Devices MP-2 vs. Sound Devices MixPre
« on: May 01, 2009, 05:50:04 PM »
Anyone have any A/B comparisons?

Any thoughts from folks who have used both?

Besides the lack of M/S on the MixPre and the different color scheme, are there any major difference that I should be aware of. I think I'm sold on a Sound Devices pre, just not sure which to go for.

I do like the results of the MP-2, just curious about the MixPre.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 06:16:20 AM by tbrown4 »
AKG C460Bs/A61s/CK61s or CK63s -> Naiant LittleBox -> Edirol R09-HR

http://timothydavidbrown.blogspot.com/

FS: Dead Muppets. Custom "dead rat" style windscreen covers
$25/pair, shipped. Various color/pattern choices
Currently not building orders, the "shop" is temporarily closed. Accepting names on a waiting list.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=137563.msg1786318

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
Re: Sound Devices MP-2 vs. Sound Devices MixPre
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 09:21:43 AM »
And Don't forget the Shure FP-24 is the same as the Mixpre, just rebranded

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 09:28:56 AM »
I've used the MP-2, MixPre, and Shure FP-24 and, while I didn't do any direct, head-to-head comparisons, didn't hear a difference between them.  YMMV.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 09:41:34 AM »
If you check the knowledge base on Sound Devices website, they actually discuss the differences between the Mixpre/FP24 and the MP-2 somewhere, you just have to use the search function to find it.

Besides the already mentioned M/S option on the MP-2, I think there is a slight difference in how the outputs are balanced between it and the FP24. Neither have output transformers, but one of them is active balanced and the other is impedance balanced, but I forgot which is which. I have not heard much difference in the recordings made with either of them, though.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 08:52:10 PM »
i think the mixpre outputs a hotter signal, iirc.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 12:23:29 PM »
i think the mixpre outputs a hotter signal, iirc.

Actually the MixPre is much more versatile in that regard. According to the manuals, the MixPre line output has a gain range of 0-66 db (MP-2 is 16-66 dB) and 0-52 dB tape out (MP-2 is 6-56). When recording loud stuff the MixPre would be much less likely to overload your recorder-especially when using the line out. This is why I decided to buy a MixPre instead of MP-2.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 04:48:40 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 08:24:05 PM »
i thought the mixpre had less headroom than the mp2?  it's been years, so i might be way off on that one

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 07:16:43 PM »
Bumping a older thread.  But since I am about to start using a mixpre AND an MP-2 I'm wondering if there are any real differences?  Or maybe I should look to trade the mixpre for an MP-2 to keep them the same.  The MP-2 is a loaner so I can't trade that for a mixpre.  From what I've read there are some slight differences but both boxes sound the same?  Thanks for any input, Kirk

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 08:29:21 PM »
The functional difference is that the MP-2 has the M/S matrix.  The mixpre doesn't.  The FP24 is basically a rebadged mixpre.  There might be more to it than that.  But the MP-2 is discontinued, and the FP24 might also be discontinued.  Meaning only the mixpre can be had new.

I just bought 2x MM-1's less than two weeks ago.  MP-1's on steroids.  Ordered MP-1's consecutive serials, got two MM-1's consecutive serials.  I wanted more battery life, without using externals.  The basic preamp circuitry is supposedly very similar across all of SD's devices.  So you might not hear any differences.  Spec wise the battery life portion is about all that varies between the MM-1 and MP-1 (20 hours vs. 24 hours / no phantom).  The MM-1's having a few extras that the MP-1 doesn't have.  Great for resale, not so good for battery life.  Meets my needs though, and rather nice sounding compared to my previous kit. 

One downside is no stereo monitoring without using something external with 2x MM-1's.  Or maybe it is, but the spec sheet doesn't look pretty for that configuration.  I don't need that (yet) since the input device (Korg MR-1000) has that facility.  The mixpre has monitoring AFAIK (but NO M/S matrix).  The mixpre runs on 2x AAs for BOTH channels.  2x MM-1's run on 2x AAs for EACH channel, which is why I went that route.

kirk97132

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 12:05:40 PM »
Shadow I had followed your post in another thread.   For me, I use external batteries and that is what I wanted.  And as for the obvious differences like MS I know those.  I also thought I had read somewhere on here that the MP-1 has input AND output transformers.  Not sure and I didn't feel like looking for it right now.  What I'm interested in is the actual field use and results that people have experienced.  I use an MP-2 all the time and have for awhile.  And type of MS encoding, for me will be done on  DAW.  So that feature is a waste in my case.  And I also know that the Mixpre can turn down the gain to zero where the MP-2 will not allow that.  I believe it is at +6db of gain all the way down.   I'd have to look and see but I thought the metering scale was slightly different too.  And yes the led color are different.  But is there any sound, operational differences or quirks that folks have found in using them. Unlike you Shadow I do not want two single units.  Well not unless there is a difference in quality of sound.  Thanks Kirk

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 08:12:15 PM »
I think I remember DATBRAD sayin that the MP-1 has a transformer at both input and output....  the MixPre has only transformer based input.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 08:50:44 PM »
There's a sound devices forum if you wan't more in the know of technical specs.  If you want more real world use results, obviously here would be the more likely place for results.  In any case the choice might have already been made for you in that the mixpre is the only one still available new AFAIK.  Or get a 302.

My 2x MM-1's make a big difference when used with my Avenson STO-2's.  Lower noise floor, better low end, limiter that works.  I still need mics with a bit more low end reach (MKH 8020's?).  But I'm mostly happy that I have the preamps to do what I want to now with what I've got.  I'm also looking at more of an all weather setup, so having internal batteries has it's plusses towards that use.

Offline taperj

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 10:51:55 PM »
I run a late model mixpre(it is noteworthy that there are 2 models of mixpre in addition to the mp-2). As far as what I've noticed/heard the early model mixpre's which are more akin to the mp-2 still have the difference in gain. The closest comparison I can give you is one taperjoe and I did a few weeks back. We were actually doing a comparison of my skm184 and skm140 since they are supposed to be the same mic. My skm140 source is the new model mixpre and Joe's skm184 source is the old model. It should serve as an effective A/B for you. After doing our own listening Joe and I both agreed the second set was a better comparison. We got hit by a balloon in set 1 which we think threw things off and readjusted for second set.

Trey Anastasio Band, The Riviera Theater, Chicago, IL, 2010-02-19
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
skm140 > mixpre(new model) > mr-1
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=532775

skm184 > mixpre(old model) > mr-1
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=532788

pictures of the rigs:
http://205.234.187.219/tab2010-02-19pic1.JPG
http://205.234.187.219/tab2010-02-19pic2.JPG

Hopefully this is some help. Best I could do on short notice!
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 11:00:15 PM »
I run a late model mixpre(it is noteworthy that there are 2 models of mixpre in addition to the mp-2). As far as what I've noticed/heard the early model mixpre's which are more akin to the mp-2 still have the difference in gain. The closest comparison I can give you is one taperjoe and I did a few weeks back. We were actually doing a comparison of my skm184 and skm140 since they are supposed to be the same mic. My skm140 source is the new model mixpre and Joe's skm184 source is the old model. It should serve as an effective A/B for you. After doing our own listening Joe and I both agreed the second set was a better comparison. We got hit by a balloon in set 1 which we think threw things off and readjusted for second set.

Trey Anastasio Band, The Riviera Theater, Chicago, IL, 2010-02-19
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
skm140 > mixpre(new model) > mr-1
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=532775

skm184 > mixpre(old model) > mr-1
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=532788

pictures of the rigs:
http://205.234.187.219/tab2010-02-19pic1.JPG
http://205.234.187.219/tab2010-02-19pic2.JPG

Hopefully this is some help. Best I could do on short notice!

How do you determine which one you have? I have the mixpre. are the two identical?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline taperj

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 11:15:12 PM »
We noticed it looking at the power connector initially. The late model mixpre is 4 pin hirose for external power, the early model was a barrel connector.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 11:18:01 PM by taperj »
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com