Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Denecke PS2  (Read 9071 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Denecke PS2
« on: May 14, 2014, 01:23:30 PM »
Anyone doing the 3.5mm mod to these? I see Sound Pros no longer offers it. A buddy needs one for Busman BSC1>???>M10. How much did the PS2 mod cost? I'm also suggesting TinyBoxes or a SD USB Pre. He's on a tight budget. Thanks!

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
Re: Denecke PS2
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 01:41:16 PM »
No experience with PS2 or the mod, but I can't say enough good things about a tinybox. If it's in budget and he's looking for a small rig it pairs really well with an M10. Seems like it could be perfect for this scenario.

And beware of the SD USB Pre versions prior to version 2. Anything going for less than about $650 on ebay is NOT something he probably wants. Pay close attention to the version. They only work when connected to a computer and it must be a computer running a 32 bit OS like Windows XP.

I'm guessing that version 2 is out of his price range but it's a great Pre and runs in standalone mode as well as connected to a computer.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 01:42:51 PM by Ultfris101 »
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline ts

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 01:55:46 PM »
No experience with PS2 or the mod, but I can't say enough good things about a tinybox. If it's in budget and he's looking for a small rig it pairs really well with an M10. Seems like it could be perfect for this scenario.

And beware of the SD USB Pre versions prior to version 2. Anything going for less than about $650 on ebay is NOT something he probably wants. Pay close attention to the version. They only work when connected to a computer and it must be a computer running a 32 bit OS like Windows XP.

I'm guessing that version 2 is out of his price range but it's a great Pre and runs in standalone mode as well as connected to a computer.

Thanks for the heads up on the USB Pre. Had no idea. :facepalm: He really needs a 48V TB.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 05:29:18 PM »
If he doesn't require the computer interface of a USBPre, tell him to look into the original Sound Devices MixPre (not the "-D" version) or Shure FP24.  Bomb-proof, very transparent, and very portable.  Don't know how tight your friend's budget is (or how much Tinyboxes cost nowadays; Jon makes an excellent product, too) but the used prices on these older preamps have dropped significantly. 

Offline nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Cleveland,USA
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 07:31:10 PM »
Anyone doing the 3.5mm mod to these? I see Sound Pros no longer offers it. A buddy needs one for Busman BSC1>???>M10. How much did the PS2 mod cost? I'm also suggesting TinyBoxes or a SD USB Pre. He's on a tight budget. Thanks!

SoundPros sold the PS2s w/o the mod for $150 and with for $199 (if I'm remembering correctly, or that is what it was in 07' when I got mine)
ATu853 (c/o)
Denecke PS-2
Sony MZ-M100 (x2)
Sony PCM M-10
Ixxx XX-X
Ixxx XX-X

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46018790@N03/sets/

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 10:14:48 AM »
I did a hack job 3.5mm cable tail. If you have a good desoldering tool it would be easier.

On a side note I'm wondering if anyone has been able to put a preamp circuit in there.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 10:40:39 AM »
I considered modding mine, then was talked into leaving it stock. I built a 2)FXL to 1/8" mini adapter cable instead.

Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline ts

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 11:37:42 AM »
I considered modding mine, then was talked into leaving it stock. I built a 2)FXL to 1/8" mini adapter cable instead.

Can you give more detail on the cable? Thanks.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 12:09:56 PM »
Standard balanced to unbalanced wiring.

XLR (Left)
Pin 1 - Ground
Pin 2 - Red
Pin 3 - Ground (short jumper to pin 1)

XLR (Right)
Pin 1 Ground
Pin 2 - Black

1/8" Tip Ring Sleeve connector
Tip - Red
Ring - Black
Sleeve - Ground

You can find pre-built at many music stores, or you can have one of our TS.com cable builders help you out if needed.

Offline ts

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 01:04:10 PM »
Standard balanced to unbalanced wiring.

XLR (Left)
Pin 1 - Ground
Pin 2 - Red

XLR (Right)
Pin 1 Ground
Pin 2 - Black

1/8" Tip Ring Sleeve connector
Tip - Red
Ring - Black
Sleeve - Ground

You can find pre-built at many music stores, or you can have one of our TS.com cable builders help you out if needed.

So all I need is a standard off the shelf dual female XLR>3.5mm? Since you have BSC1's, I'll assume an off the shelf cable works.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 01:23:42 PM by ts »

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 01:33:19 PM »

So all I need is a standard off the shelf dual female XLR>3.5mm? Since you have BSC1's, I'll assume an off the shelf cable works.

Correct, been running this setup for 3 years with my Avantone CK-1s and Busman BSC1 mics.

In a pinch, you can use FRCA to FXLR adapters and an 1/8" to dual RCA cable.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 02:18:35 PM »
Correct, been running this setup for 3 years with my Avantone CK-1s and Busman BSC1 mics.

On average, about how much runtime do you get off a fresh battery on the PS2, Scoobie?  TIA.

Offline danny3

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 03:46:14 PM »
My PS2 hasn't been in use for a good while, but I will be using it soon with my third rig at a multi-stage festival. Problems can occur with some mics when you output to an unbalanced feed from the PS2.
I was looking back to an older thread (linked below) before I saw this one and remembered that I wanted to get these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/844682-REG/Energy_Transformation_Systems_PA912_PA912_2_CH_DSLR_AUDIO.html They are coming tomorrow; I will report back after using them.

At outdoor shows without electricity I used to run Samson CO2 mics > PS2 > DR-2d. Frequently I would get some distortion/noise that I couldn't explain. (Some home testing led me to suspect that the recorder was in too close proximity to my battery pack.)
Also, the cable I was using - female xlr to mini -  was very long, which may have played into my issues.

I don't recall the run time I would get powering the PS2 with rechargeable 9v batteries, but if you are doing long runs (like an all day festival) I would recommend an external battery pack. I plan to use a Naztech PB1500 to power both the PS2 (with a Gakable) and a DR-2d via a Gakcable (usb out to DR-2d power in.)

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=165258.0

update: I've found that constant noise is recorded when running both the PS-2 and recorder (DR-2d) off the same battery. Records fine when I power each with a separate battery.
              Not certain if I really need it, but the 2 channel balun cable I linked works well. Although it is pretty heavy duty and not too flexible. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 04:04:48 AM by danny3 »

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 06:45:19 PM »

On average, about how much runtime do you get off a fresh battery on the PS2, Scoobie?  TIA.

off a fresh 9v alkaline 4-5 hours, with an easy hour after the red light goes on, but...

I use an RC battery 1800mAH and can go for quite a bit longer. The PS2 has a 1/8" Tip Sleeve jack to take an external battery pack.
I carry a 9v as a backup.

Offline ts

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 10:13:55 AM »
Probably should have mentioned this earlier but this is for a permanent setup on a baby grand so he will be using an ac adapter. Also the reason why he doesn't want a full blown pre. He just needs 48V phantom. I thought at $127 from B&H, the PS2 would be the best solution, plus a few extra bucks for a cable and ac adapter.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:19:10 AM by ts »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com