Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps - "old" microphone applications guide?  (Read 7453 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Schoeps - "old" microphone applications guide?
« on: August 24, 2015, 09:24:44 PM »
A few months ago, DSatz shared a link to the old Schoeps microphone applications guide before they switched to the "Showroom" on their website.  I cannot locate that thread or the link right now.  Would someone please point me in the right direction?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)

Offline voltronic

Re: Schoeps - "old" microphone applications guide?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 10:20:02 PM »
http://www.schoepsclassics.de/classics_overview.htm

That's a cool site, but that's not what I was talking about.  What I was looking for was the application / usage guide on the current site - sort of the equivalent of DPA's Microphone University.  See the attached PDF, which I got from who-knows-where.  I thought there used to be an "educational" section of the Schoeps site that included things like this.  Maybe I'm remembering something that never existed?

This isn't for me - it's to give others I'll be talking to soon who are new to recording a variety of places to go for information.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 10:46:10 PM »
Here maybe?

http://www.schoeps.de/en/downloads/catalogues_and_brochures

Hmm, that wasn't what I was looking for either, but it may actually be better.  I'm skimming through the "Stereo and Surround" presentation by Mr. Wittek right now - really great stuff!
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline heva

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 07:39:55 AM »

Offline voltronic

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 02:26:40 PM »
This?

Yes, that's it - I think they used to have an English version at some point - I'll poke around the Archive.  Thanks!
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline OhioHead

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 08:15:52 PM »
If you find the English version will you post the link?

Offline voltronic

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 08:29:16 PM »
It's actually hosted on the current Schoeps site, but only in German.  Maybe I'm mistaken that I ever saw this guide in English, but the chart I attached in Reply #2 appears to be from this same document, translated to English.  DSatz, if you're following this, would you please set the record straight?

http://www.schoeps.de/en/downloads/papers
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 08:31:11 PM by voltronic »
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 03:53:29 PM »
(sigh) I think this thread is referring to Jörg Wuttke's essays on microphones, which Schoeps published ~15 years ago as a printed softcover book, and later made available as downloadable PDFs. I translated the essays back then, at least to a preliminary level, but have lost track of the project--I think there was some reason that they didn't get printed or turned into PDFs at the time, or maybe we simply never finished reviewing them all.

Then Jörg retired from the company and set up his own Web site (on ingwu.de) which carries the essays as PDFs in German, but not in English.

He's coming over for the AES convention in October and I'll see him then--maybe we can revive this project. Some of the essays are of less interest now than in the past (some are based on Schoeps products that are no longer available, such as the original PolarFlex system which he invented and patented), but the majority should still be worthwhile.

Also, he's made a number of educational presentations that have been recorded on video and uploaded to YouTube, and if I remember correctly, he gave at least one such presentation in English. Those are quite good--he has fun with an audience.

--best regards
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 06:56:33 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline voltronic

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 04:10:43 PM »
Thank you.  I have looked around Mr. Wuttke's personal website before, but all of the best content does appear to be German-only, and I'm pretty limited in that regard.  I've also seen one of those videos you're referring to where I believe the head of engineering at DPA is in the audience, which he refers to as "the other good microphone company."

So what I'm looking for it seems doesn't exist at the moment.  I'm sure if there are any future developments you'll keep us all in the loop.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 02:58:11 PM »
voltronic, when Jörg was here for the AES in October, I did ask him about finishing the translations of the microphone essays. He told me that he's planning a complete redesign of his Web site over the coming year, and he said he didn't want to approach the project before that is complete.

However, if I can add my own interpretation, I sensed a more general reluctance to take up that kind of work again at this point in his life. There are personal circumstances that contribute to this, which I understand. At this point, while he still enjoys giving the occasional talk about microphones and recording, and can still deliver the goods in any of the three languages that he speaks, he prefers to point people toward the consideration of larger social issues if he can.

I will stay in touch with him about this, however.

--best regards

Offline voltronic

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 03:09:38 PM »
voltronic, when Jörg was here for the AES in October, I did ask him about finishing the translations of the microphone essays. He told me that he's planning a complete redesign of his Web site over the coming year, and he said he didn't want to approach the project before that is complete.

However, if I can add my own interpretation, I sensed a more general reluctance to take up that kind of work again at this point in his life. There are personal circumstances that contribute to this, which I understand. At this point, while he still enjoys giving the occasional talk about microphones and recording, and can still deliver the goods in any of the three languages that he speaks, he prefers to point people toward the consideration of larger social issues if he can.

I will stay in touch with him about this, however.

--best regards

Much appreciated.  I enjoy his perspectives on microphones and recording, in the way that he isn't afraid to give his opinions and it's clear those public opinions aren't completely in service to driving sales (though I'm sure he would prefer everyone use Schoeps! :))
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 05:27:28 AM »
(in case anyone's still interested) Rather suddenly, a project is underway to finish the English translations and publish them. I'll be working on them over the coming holiday vacations.

--best regards

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 08:48:57 AM »
(in case anyone's still interested) Rather suddenly, a project is underway to finish the English translations and publish them. I'll be working on them over the coming holiday vacations.

--best regards
Go Go Go! dsatz-thanks for the update and input on this. marking thread for the results.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 06:20:06 PM »

--best regards

Nice.  Thanks. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.134 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com