Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: a20 shockmounts for schoeps cmc6... abnormally tight fit?  (Read 4369 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
a20 shockmounts for schoeps cmc6... abnormally tight fit?
« on: February 04, 2009, 12:03:25 AM »
I recently acquired a mk4/cmc6 set along with the a20 shock mounts, but find it extremely difficult to put the cmc6s in the a20s.  It is really a tight fit, and takes significant pressure to push it in (cannot snap it in from above), and even removing it is really difficult.  Is this normal or are these shocks abnormally tight?  I'd like to use them but the tightness makes them essentially unusable.  Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
Re: a20 shockmounts for schoeps cmc6... abnormally tight fit?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 02:33:28 PM »
From my experience this is normal.  The mounts are very tight and over time seem to ware down the Nexel finish a bit.

Due to this I only use the mounts with a VARK or Kwon bars - I try and avoid running full body.

If you don't have the option I would mount the mics and leave them in the A20's as long as you can (don't break them down for every show).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 02:35:03 PM by H2O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 02:42:23 PM »
you can sell yorur a20's and buy some of Busman's new 20mm shockmounts that are felt lined for $35/pair. I will never buy another set of a20s' they are a complete waste of money. Once you invest in some active cables, you will be able to run them on a vark bar or in one of my new KC Mounts

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 09:41:16 PM »
Thanks for the info guys!  Good to know that this is considered to be normal.   8)

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 10:13:29 PM »
All Schoeps sleds and clips fit tightly.  One has to be careful of scratching the Nextel Grey finish if using those.  But my feeling is that the A20 is totally worth the money as every piece is replacable....there are two types of elastics available for lighter or heavier hardware.  Most importantly, the A20 is the lowest profile shock mounts made of that design.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 10:20:28 PM »
I'm never sure what "normal" means, but what you describe is the way that many of the Schoeps accessories are being built nowadays--tight. It's as if they're afraid of getting sued for letting a microphone get knocked out of the mount. I must admit that I don't adore the trend. I've hung pairs of Schoeps mikes hundreds of times in their older-style clips, and never had one slip.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 11:29:06 PM »
I'm never sure what "normal" means, but what you describe is the way that many of the Schoeps accessories are being built nowadays--tight. It's as if they're afraid of getting sued for letting a microphone get knocked out of the mount. I must admit that I don't adore the trend. I've hung pairs of Schoeps mikes hundreds of times in their older-style clips, and never had one slip.

Do you (or anyone) know if the sg20 mic clips are super tight like the a20 shock mounts?  I would like those if they aren't scratch risks.

Thanks for the info everyone.  8)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 07:50:47 AM »
su6, the curved part of newer SG 20 clips, and other accessories with 20 mm clip-like grips, is made of rubber or a rubber-like compound which has more "give" than the plastic they used to use. This should be less likely to crack with age--though in 35 years I've had only one such part that ever cracked (a stereo shock mount), and I didn't even notice it myself; Redding Audio discovered the problem when I sent the unit back for replacement elastics.

The dimensions of this clip are the same as ever--they're evidently not part of the "tightening" campaign.

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 06:28:42 PM »
su6, the curved part of newer SG 20 clips, and other accessories with 20 mm clip-like grips, is made of rubber or a rubber-like compound which has more "give" than the plastic they used to use. This should be less likely to crack with age--though in 35 years I've had only one such part that ever cracked (a stereo shock mount), and I didn't even notice it myself; Redding Audio discovered the problem when I sent the unit back for replacement elastics.

The dimensions of this clip are the same as ever--they're evidently not part of the "tightening" campaign.

So the sg20 probably won't be a risk to scratch the cmc6 bodies you're saying?  Thanks for the info!

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 09:25:42 PM »
heat shrink can protect your bodies, but makes the clip even tighter :P  ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 09:48:08 PM »
heat shrink can protect your bodies, but makes the clip even tighter :P  ed

Thanks for the input everyone.  I've basically decided to never use the a20 shocks again.  I found that my old Neumann mic clips with a bit of gaffer tape lining fit the CMC6s just fine. ;D

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 11:04:13 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone.  I've basically decided to never use the a20 shocks again.  I found that my old Neumann mic clips with a bit of gaffer tape lining fit the CMC6s just fine. ;D

I wouldn't completely write them off.  They are the best shocks for bar type mounts with Active cables period!!!
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 01:02:01 AM »

I wouldn't completely write them off.  They are the best shocks for bar type mounts with Active cables period!!!

what he said....I use this or an A53M if I expect the A20 to get bashed around.  Now that is your best bet, an A53M....they can be drop kicked and there are no bits to break.  The isolation is not as great as a spider type mount but they are so small and made of rubber so there is absolutely no threat of scratching any finish of a mic body. 

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 08:58:15 AM »
If it's not too treasonous of me, I'd like to suggest the new Rycote "lyre" shock mounts (http://www.rycote.com/products/invision/). They're small and unobtrusive, they isolate the cable as well as the microphone (which is crucial--the Shure rubber donuts are a great thing but you have to tie off the cable somewhere so that vibration doesn't get conducted into the microphone that way), and they are extremely effective--to a far greater extent than I would have expected until I tried them recently.

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 11:26:08 AM »
Thanks again everyone for the input/advice!  I think I'll use the a20s for use with a bar/actives, otherwise use my neumann clips for use of the bodies on a t-bar. 

+Ts all around.  ;D

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 09:44:26 AM »
Update:
Before I got any replies in this thread I decided to see if the a20s are all this tight and so I tried another pair.  Interestingly, the plastic mic clip part is MUCH more flexible and it was easy to insert the cmc6 into it.  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com