Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Adaptor/hinge for use between a 5/8th stud & a pole?  (Read 5778 times)

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Adaptor/hinge for use between a 5/8th stud & a pole?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 02:07:26 AM »
To be fair, I've run the umbrella joint only a few times, in a pinch, and it did make me a bit nervous but it worked. My preference is to use 2x superclamps and a joining stud. You can swivel the 2nd super clamp and hold the pole in its jaws. Super sturdy and you can use a regular stand or extension pole.

I mostly use the the umbrella joint in the same way tgakidis does.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 02:55:51 AM »
One difference is that I don't run full bodies, so weight restrictions will be different. su6oxone does the same, so maybe that's what it is. I don't know, but I'd rather know now (or soon) instead of during a show.

The two superclamps technique is probably the best method, although I only have one so I've never tried it personally. 

So I attached my superclamp > umbrella bracket > extension pole to a chair in living room and it is pretty sturdy.  If you pull on the pole the umbrella swivel will widen/open but you would need to exert some force to make it move.  I would say it's pretty sturdy in that it won't topple over by itself and it will only move if you grab the pole and pull on it, but then it still resists movement requiring active pulling to make it open up.  I would say that unless a drunk grabs it and goes down, the bracket and pole will be pretty secure.  In a tabled seating setting it should be fine I would think.  Pics below.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 03:19:16 PM »
I keep looking at this Boom Clamp...it appears beefy but you must have a 1 1/8" boom pole....or a $154.79 Heavy Duty Boom which doesn't appear to nest....

I assume the stud from Super Clamp would fit in the 5/8" receptor on the Boom Clamp...

The second section of my 13' Bogen light stand just happens to be 1 1/8"...may be trying to figure out how to disassemble the stand...I'd get a 8 1/12' boom pole to use...

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com