Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 9v batt cable?  (Read 4040 times)

Offline jasonw

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Formerly "jb3newbie"
UA-5 9v batt cable?
« on: February 20, 2007, 03:24:31 PM »
Can someone point me in the direction of a thread with a how to on making the cable from the 9v walmart bat to the UA-5.  I can't seem to find it with the search feature.
Mics: Franken Naks / Cp2
Pre: BM2p+ UA-5
Recorders: Iriver

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: UA-5 9v batt cable?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 03:36:01 PM »
Walmart battery should have output cable, if not you can build one at Radio Shack:

B tip for battery, adaptaplug extension cable and M tip for UA5.  Remember the UA5 is reverse polarity, so you'll ahve to reverse the M tip.

Here are more instructions:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline jasonw

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Formerly "jb3newbie"
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 03:42:45 PM »
Thanks man...I knew it was pretty simple but I didnt want to goof it up.  I have been using the vr box in the past but now I am moving on from that.  t+
Mics: Franken Naks / Cp2
Pre: BM2p+ UA-5
Recorders: Iriver

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 03:50:10 PM »
Also the UA-5 is protected against using wrong polarity, so if you accidently plug it in wrong it goes into protect mode and wont power up until you plug it in correctly. So no worries about frying it that way.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 01:32:39 PM »
Also the UA-5 is protected against using wrong polarity, so if you accidently plug it in wrong it goes into protect mode and wont power up until you plug it in correctly. So no worries about frying it that way.
plug it into the wall to reset it correct?
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 01:37:11 PM »
plug it into the wall to reset it correct?

Yep

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 03:02:22 PM »
another option is to cut the cable that goes from the wallwart to the ua5, cut the cable going from the battery and splice the 2 together to form a new, custom cable using factory components.  If memory serves me correctly, polarity needs to be reversed when splicing, which means attaching the negative wire from the battery cable to the positive wire on the wallwart cable

Offline oscoastierob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Go tape SLM
    • oscoastierob's facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 01:22:36 AM »
another option is to cut the cable that goes from the wallwart to the ua5, cut the cable going from the battery and splice the 2 together to form a new, custom cable using factory components.  If memory serves me correctly, polarity needs to be reversed when splicing, which means attaching the negative wire from the battery cable to the positive wire on the wallwart cable

Yep that would be the easiest and probably cheapest way to do it, except it fucks up your original power supply. If your planning on butchering wires your best bet would be to build a custom wire out of the adapta-plug parts from Radshack.
Peluso CEMC-6 /CK2, CK4, CK21, CK41-> Hydra Silver XLRs-> XTC silver interconnects-> UA-5 BM2p+ mod-> SPDIF-> R4

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 12:13:11 PM »

Yep that would be the easiest and probably cheapest way to do it, except it fucks up your original power supply. If your planning on butchering wires your best bet would be to build a custom wire out of the adapta-plug parts from Radshack.

I butcher my stock power supplies per Richard's option.  The primary reason:  I've had trouble with the adaptaplug connectors fitting properly (yes, I used the correct plug size).  I chalked it up to low-quality (broad) production tolerances and QC at RS's manufacturer, as this has happened with multiple pieces of gear with multiple plugs.  I've never experienced the same trouble with the stock plugs, hence my butchering the stock cables.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

MPB

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 03:27:31 AM »
I can make a cable for you for $3 + postage, any length you need.

Just let me know

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 09:38:17 AM »
The "B" plug may be an issue with some WalMart Style batteries:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,19772.new.html#new

Thanks, sorry for the Xpost...

T

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.226 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com