Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R09HR's rubber finish is becoming sticky  (Read 21881 times)

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Re: R09HR's rubber finish is becoming sticky
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 10:56:12 PM »
There's this...  http://www.markertek.com/Chemicals-Cleaning-Supplies/Chemicals-and-Maintenance/Caig-Laboratories-Inc/RBR100L-2.xhtml?RBR100L-2

MSDS Here

I've not used the Caig variety myself since I still have a bottle of Tascam/Teac Rubber Cleaner that they used to sell for use on pinch rollers which I've also used on rubberized shuttle knobs that became sticky and it did help.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 09:23:59 AM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 11:31:27 PM »
I have an old Sony D3 DAT that has this issue on the little rubber bumpers on the edge of the unit.

Never really tried to clean it...but I might now.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 07:01:38 PM »
Hi!

My R09HR's rubber finish is becoming sticky. Probably, rubber particles are starting to dissolve. Is there any way of stopping dissolution, or to recover from this situation?

Thanks.
Best regards.

The exact same thing is happening to my unit. It's all sticky and gummy. Have you heard from Roland Brasil at all?
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 09:10:38 PM »
I have had some rubber/plastic items do this
Never been able to figure out out or clean it
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 10:50:55 PM »
Both natural and synthetic rubber (bio)degrade over time. You can clean off the degraded sticky stuff with ammonia or probably the Windex that has ammonia in it. Unfortunately once it starts degrading it will keep degrading.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 12:34:14 PM »
I have a rubber case that covers my R05 that tore in 3 places. I wanted to repair the tears, but I couldn't find anything to adhere to it. I finally tried a bicycle tire tube patch, which worked great. It adheres to the rubber and gives it a non tacky finish. It also was very thin, so it didn't add any thickness to the case. I only needed three small pieces, but if I were to try an save my deck, I'd test a piece on the side or somewhere first, but assuming I liked the results, it probably wouldn't be too tough to buy a larger patch, cut to fit, and apply that as a new coating. It has an adhesive on one side and you peel and stick. Some of the other solutions would seem like they'd eventually ooze some sort of stickiness, the bicycle patch becomes part of the rubber, so it seems less likely to degrade over time.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 12:48:18 PM »
Since posting a couple years ago, I've completely removed highly-degraded/sticky rubberized coatings from a few other pieces of gear using a rag, denatured alcohol and elbow-grease.  In each case, I ended up with a smooth, black, hard-plastic surface with a perfectly acceptable finish without any remaining rubberized coating.  I speculate that the extensive degradation of the coatings to the point where they had become quite soft/sticky may have actually made their removal easier than it may have been when in better condition with it better adhered. YMMV.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jjazzfusion

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 08:08:53 AM »
I just sent an email to Roland Brasil.

Let's see what they say.

Thanks.
Regards.
Have you ever got a response from Roland? I just saw that apparently the R-09HR has been discontinued. Wonder if this issue had anything to do with their decision? I've owned mine since '09, kept ou it in a small Ziploc bag, without any problems, until about a year and a half ago. I think the reason it was designed this way, was to make it  slip-proof, and they way it is now, they did a pretty good job...lol

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2017, 01:43:57 PM »
As I was cleaning out my closet I found my Edirol R09HR and it was a sticky mess.  I used Goo Gone, and the Goo is Gone.  With minimal effort I was able to wipe down the entire R09 and the rubbery stickyness is completely gone.

https://googone.com/products/original/
Occasionally....music mics record

mfrench

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2017, 02:02:14 PM »
As I was cleaning out my closet I found my Edirol R09HR and it was a sticky mess.  I used Goo Gone, and the Goo is Gone.  With minimal effort I was able to wipe down the entire R09 and the rubbery stickyness is completely gone.

https://googone.com/products/original/

thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com