Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic upgrade for my mini disc recorder  (Read 3061 times)

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Mic upgrade for my mini disc recorder
« on: February 28, 2008, 03:44:43 PM »
Hello all,
I've been looking into get a new microphone for my mini disc recorder and Church Audio battery box. I would like to keep the price low but still turn out a decent response. The current mics are either cheap and barely register through the BB or the Audio Technica ATR35 I have has an incredibly long cord that is a bit difficult when stealthing. I usually record metal shows in clubs but vary at times to other genres. I'd like to keep the price under $50 if possible. Any suggestions?

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mic upgrade for my mini disc recorder
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 04:25:25 PM »
Hello all,
I've been looking into get a new microphone for my mini disc recorder and Church Audio battery box. I would like to keep the price low but still turn out a decent response. The current mics are either cheap and barely register through the BB or the Audio Technica ATR35 I have has an incredibly long cord that is a bit difficult when stealthing. I usually record metal shows in clubs but vary at times to other genres. I'd like to keep the price under $50 if possible. Any suggestions?

I suggest you save up a little cash $50 does not buy you anything but junk IMO. I dont care who you get your mics from just dont waste your money on cheap mics. For $100 or more you can find some nice used mics that will work much better then anything you will find for $50 I am not trying to sell you anything BTW.

Chris

ps... check out the yardsale section and save up your cash.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 04:45:58 PM »
For $50, here:
http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com
 Cardioid Stereo Microphone
$65 $55 SALE PRICED

Don't expect something great from these even in ideal conditions. You may like them if you don't mind editing afterwards but I would save your money.

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 05:07:40 PM »
I think Chris is spot on with this one.  Buying a cheap set will cost you twice: money spent on not good mics and money spent that could have been put towards better mics.  The mics are critical.  They do the hearing.  You are better waiting a bit and getting good ones.  And it will save you cringing when you listen to those recordings you made on cheap mics.    8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 04:29:25 AM »
Hello all,

I suggest you save up a little cash $50 does not buy you anything but junk IMO.

I actually picked up my set of used Nak CM100's for $47, boxed, complete with cables and mounts.   ;D
So you could get lucky.
But then again I get the impression that you're looking for stealth gear, right?!
What Chris and the rest meant (and I agree) is that the usual going rate for good mics are normally way above the $50 mark.

/J
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 05:41:42 PM »
For $50, here:
$65 $55 SALE PRICED

Don't expect something great from these even in ideal conditions. You may like them if you don't mind editing afterwards but I would save your money.

I bought those as my first mics and wish i hadn't, they are not so good, do yourself a favor and save the money, also look on ebay for some at853's, you can usually pick them up if you keep with it for under 100.00 for 2 , then just put a mini plug and a 4.7mod(see mr. church) to them and they will handle anything you throw at them, good sounding mic for a nice price

Offline DaveH

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 09:09:59 AM »
Thanks for the information. Here's one I came across that was originally $199.00, it's now $59.00. Is this any good or is it lower in price for a reason?

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-CMC-19

Dave H

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 10:38:58 AM »
Thanks for the information. Here's one I came across that was originally $199.00, it's now $59.00. Is this any good or is it lower in price for a reason?

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-CMC-19

Dave H

I am not going to knock Sound Professionals they are my competition. The mic your talking about is only good to 105db as per SP specs.. I would recommend saving up and buying at least the  SP-CMC-2 there was a pair for sale in the yard sale section here for $100 used. I really cant stress it any more you need to save up your money dont waste it. Sound Professional has some good mics but you have to spend at least 150.00 for a good pair that will do a good job of recording. SAVE YOUR MONEY...

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 11:34:26 AM »
For $50, here:
$65 $55 SALE PRICED

I bought some of these. After replacing the mic elements and all of the electronics inside the battery box, these were great mics. ;D

Actually, I bought the omni version and they weren't completely terrible.  I made a couple of recordings with them and they were quite listenable.  And seriously, after I replaced everything but the connector, the cabling and the battery enclosure itself, they turned out to be pretty decent mics.  Looking back on it, it was a lot to pay for a battery enclosure, a connector and some cabling.

I think the original mic bodies were made from the body of a black BIC pen and some heat shrink, but it's a hell of a battery enclosure that comes with them!  Since then, I've learned to make my own mics from information I got from the Yahoo Mic Builder's group.  That's a time-consuming way of doing things, but you can learn a lot by doing it.  On the other hand, you can get decent mics in the first place by spending a bit more money with the right merchant.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 11:39:06 AM »
I wouldn't recommend the SP-CMC-19 or SP-CMC-20. Not that they are bad mics, but as Chris says you should aim a tad higher to get something that will pull good results. I had both of the above mics and didn't like them at all.

If you want to go the Sound Pro's route, I recommened the following:

SP-CMC-2
SP-CMC-4U
SP-CMC-8

The SP-CMC-2 are the cheapest of those but they are great mics. I think they would suit your needs very well indeed.

Of course, there's always the Church Cardioid route which are also very nice mics and I've made many a fine recording with them (and I tape rock/metal a lot).

SP-CMC-2 or Church Cards. Slightly over your budget but both mics will give you good results. Save up for a while if need be, its worth it.

Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline DaveH

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 12:31:31 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I think I will save up. In the meantime, is there anyway, or one that could shorten the cord on the one I already have? It is a Audio Technica ATR-35S omnidirectional mic but the cord is 20 ft long and a pain in the rump when stealthing. If I could get it down to 3-5 ft it would be enough to hold me over for the next several months.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.125 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com