Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Crash! But Rising from the Ashes!!!  (Read 7200 times)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
Crash! But Rising from the Ashes!!!
« on: April 09, 2011, 07:33:25 PM »
Dam computer crashed.....bad. real bad...........can't get it to recover...tried to intsall xp repair...........still f'up.  lost my most recent show I was working on...didn't burn a backup copy....yet but erased it from my card..........lost my most recent concert photos.........grrrrr....problem is when I went restall the fix I think I might have wiped the drive.....double grrrr.  been saving to replace the dam machine...........looks like it might have forced me into it.....
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 09:38:30 PM by OtheroneK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Crash!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 08:18:01 PM »
1. Download Ubuntu (on another computer obviously).
2. Burn a CD-R. Pop it in your CD drive.
3. Boot from the CD drive (this will probably require you to go into the BIOS and change your boot drive)
4. Run Ubuntu from the CD.
5. Mount your drive in your computer.
6. Copy the drive to a external drive (you will need to mount this in Ubuntu as well).

Obviously those are rough instructions, you will need to fish around in Ubuntu to get some of that done, but it's generally pretty easy.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

Another option is to buy a new drive. Install Windows on the new drive, then use your old drive as a storage drive. One thing to consider is the computer may have crashed due to the drive being bad. Might not be a bad idea to just recover data from the drive that crashed and stop using it.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 10:54:17 PM »
Thanks man but it didn't work..............
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 11:04:56 PM »
Thanks man but it didn't work..............

What didn't work?

If you got as far as mounting the drive(s)...you might need to try some sort of hard drive recovery/repair program. I've used SpinRite with limited success. It's $89...but if it doesn't work I believe they will refund your money.

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 11:17:57 PM »
I can't even get the computer to boot it starts xp then blue screens...

I have tried safe mode..........again it won't complete the boot process...

I tried downloaded ubuntu....followed you insrtuctions....booted thru the bios........nothing.... retried followed the suggestions on the ubuntu site....couln't get it to work..

won't boot
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 12:40:35 AM »
in bios, you're selecting the CD drive, right? You want it to read the CD first and then HDD later.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 12:41:28 AM »
in bios, you're selecting the CD drive, right? You want it to read the CD first and then HDD later.

yep.....nothing
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 01:14:29 AM »
That is strange. I would choose to boot the CD drive and eliminate all other options from the boot order.

If that doesn't work, then try removing the HD and just keep the CD in the drive as the only boot option.

Some computers will also allow you to choose another boot option besides the BIOS. I think my laptop you press F12 during boot and it will bring you to a boot drive option. Might want to give that a try as well.

How old is this hard drive?

More often than not, Blue Screen during boot is a hard drive issue, but may also be bad memory. Here is a free Memory test option:

http://www.memtest86.com/

Might want to give that a whirl too. But you need to be able to boot from the CD drive first.

Offline TimeBandit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 07:13:10 AM »
the Ubuntu is an ISO, you should take the option "Burn ISO to disk" on the burning software.
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 12:40:40 PM »
How old is this hard drive?

http://www.memtest86.com/
The drive is 10 years old...............as is the machine.............Iknow Iknow I hear yeah time for a new one..............It ran solid..........right up until the blue screen....did weekly maintence keeping it clean, running scans, removing malware, virises etc etc...

I am saving for a new machine and software.....I have mics for sale that are going to help with this purchase once they sell....this just caught me off guard and renforces why I don't save stuff to hard drive....even tho I got ten years out of it you never know when they are going to go....

can't do the memory test.........have to get it to boot first...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 12:45:00 PM by OtheroneK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 01:17:34 PM »
you can run the memory test from a cd (it was included on some of the early Ubuntu live discs) and possibly from a floppy, no need to get the OS to boot

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 01:38:19 PM »
Thanks...

but I can't even get the cd to boot....
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 02:29:45 PM »
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6174378/Hirens.BootCD.13.1

Download this torrent of HIRENS Boot CD.   When you get the image downloaded burn it to a disc.  You'll have to burn as an image NOT as a data disc.

Once you've burnt HIRENS put it in the cd tray and restart.  Most computers will allow you to access the boot menu via F12.  So as soon as the BIOS screen comes up start hitting F12.   When you get to the boot menu choose CD or optical disc, however your older BIOS calls it.   

HIRENS is a bootable version of Windows that should be very familiar to you.  The Ubuntu stuff is nice but not as practical for someone who has dealt with Windows for the most part.

You could start by running diagnostics but you'd be better served just copying you data to an external drive.

Ten years out of a HD is amazing.   That reason alone should be proof that you CAN trust a HD with your data. 

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 04:35:22 PM »
Alrighty this didn't work either.  burned as image....booted the rom drive only... boot failed systemed halted.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 04:37:33 PM »
If the drive is 10 years old you can skip the whole deal booting from the CD. Just go buy another drive (make sure you get an IDE drive and not a SATA drive), you won't be able to salvage the old one. If you're lucky you'll be able to get the data off the old drive.

Remove the old drive from the machine (unhook it) and install Windows on the new drive. Then plug the old drive back in (you'll probably have to change the jumpers on the drive to set it to slave since it's going to be an IDE drive). Make sure you DISCONNECT the old drive when installing Windows to make sure you don't copy over your data (done that before...not good).

If you can read the old drive copy the data off of it, and then recycle the old drive. If you have sensitive data on it either run Darik's Boot and Nuke on it, or drill a hole through the whole thing.

You're drive probably has MANY MANY bad sectors on it. It's dead...probably past dead. One of the bad sectors contains data required to boot Windows which is why it blue screens on boot up. You will need to recover that data and move it to a new sector to get Windows to boot. You COULD do that with SpinRite (it will attempt to read the bad sector and then move the data to a good sector), but that costs more than a new drive, takes FOREVER to run (we're talking days or even weeks) and you're going to have to toss the old drive anyway.

When you get a new computer, I'd set up a main drive as the OS drive and then get TWO drives of the same size for DATA. I keep all of my data on a drive other than the OS, and mirror them.

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 04:53:31 PM »
Thanks everyone for the help.....I am going to have a new computer built by a local company that a highschool friend owns....got to support local and a friend to boot....I will have him try and retrieve everything he could.........but its time for an upgrade..... 

Will just have to wait a month or two.....till mics sell....will have to cruze the net via wife laptop for now......

just spent 35$ on a nak pre to help ease the pain... :P

Peace OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 07:21:08 PM »
Alrighty this didn't work either.  burned as image....booted the rom drive only... boot failed systemed halted.

Not relevant anymore if you're having a new system built, but IF you had the BIOS set to boot from the CD/DVD drive (and not the hard drive) AND you burned the Ubuntu and/or HIRENS disks correctly (as images and not data) AND the system wouldn't boot off of them, then the problem isn't your hard drive.  Your hard drive could be perfectly fine and the contents easily transferred to your new system.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline Kush

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Catch you on the flip-side!
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 06:13:43 PM »
Get a new computer and start using Soundforge 10 so you can explain it to me. Haha
AKG SE300b (CK91/CK93) or SP-LSD2 > Busman Transparency mod Tascam HD-P2

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 06:42:57 PM »
Get a new computer and start using Soundforge 10 so you can explain it to me. Haha

10-4 good buddy!
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
Re: Crash! But Rising from the Ashes!!!
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 09:45:18 PM »
Found a deal on an HP

Model p6710...........mid tower, AMD athlon II T640 quad processor, 1TB drive, Digi Coax out, 4gigs of ram, dvd burner, card reader, keyboard, mouse for 399$.....going to add 4 gigs of ram for a total of 8....another burner, firewire card and montior and I am into it for another 250$ for a total of about 650$.....

Then SoundForge 10............!   >:D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:26:37 PM by OtheroneK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 03:52:48 PM »
Found a deal on an HP

Model p6710...........mid tower, AMD athlon II T640 quad processor, 1TB drive, Digi Coax out, 4gigs of ram, dvd burner, card reader, keyboard, mouse for 399$.....going to add 4 gigs of ram for a total of 8....another burner, firewire card and montior and I am into it for another 250$ for a total of about 650$.....

Then SoundForge 10............!   >:D

Does it come with the 64-bit version of Windows?  If not, the extra 4 GB of RAM is wasted.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 05:12:41 PM »
And I would add that the performance difference between 4gb and 8gb is pretty minimal for most applications. Unless you are running multiple virtual machines that each need dedicated memory allocations, 4gb is plenty :)

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 09:26:33 PM »
Yep its the 64 bit system.......just finished booting everything...now just adding all my programs....and internet sites.....holy shit you don't realize how much you have until you loose it all.....
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 06:38:43 PM »
now running 8gigs of ram...don't see much diference.....the fire wire is definately faster in this computer.....tranfered 3 gigs in 12minutes......
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 10:45:54 PM »
I'd set up a main drive as the OS drive and then get TWO drives of the same size for DATA. I keep all of my data on a drive other than the OS, and mirror them.

What is your exact setup for this? I just had the hard drive fail in my 9 month old Macbook Pro and am looking for a better way to manage my data. Luckly I was able to recover all my data because the computer was able to boot in target disk mode. I do run Time Machine on it, but hadn't run it in a couple weeks when the hard drive failed.

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 12:12:37 AM »
I'd set up a main drive as the OS drive and then get TWO drives of the same size for DATA. I keep all of my data on a drive other than the OS, and mirror them.

What is your exact setup for this? I just had the hard drive fail in my 9 month old Macbook Pro and am looking for a better way to manage my data. Luckly I was able to recover all my data because the computer was able to boot in target disk mode. I do run Time Machine on it, but hadn't run it in a couple weeks when the hard drive failed.

This is in a desktop. For a laptop, like a MacBook, I would get a network drive and send your TimeMachine data to it.

If I only had a laptop I'd run my backups to a network drive AND have an external drive that I'd copy all of my data to every few months and store it off-site.

All backups should have at least 3 copies. The original, on-site backup and off-site backup.

Online options are really good for laptops as well, since most laptops don't have Terrabytes of data.

Offline jbou

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 12:38:26 PM »
Thanks. Good tips. I am curious about my next step though. Because I have a laptop, I am probably going to max out my internal HD with music in the near future. It seems the best thing to do is get some internal drives and stick them in enclosures. I would get 1 TB drives. Im thinking getting two drives and mirroring them and then have another backup somewhere else like you do. The question is what brand/model of internal drive, what enclosure, and what software to mirror the two drives and backup to the third. Any thoughts?

These two enclosures look appealing since I could have the two on site drives together.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182144&cm_re=dual_enclosure-_-17-182-144-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392024

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 02:31:40 PM »
I've got that Vantec enclosure and love it.  It's more expensive than the Rosewill, but the Rosewill does not support RAID.  If you want the two drives mirrored, the Vantec will automatically do that for you.

Offline jbou

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2011, 06:26:06 PM »
Does the Vantec actually have the drives setup in RAID1? A lot of the threads about RAID say that consumer level RAID stuff isn't too reliable.

As a general question, if you have two HDD setup in RAID 1, can the drives be read separately? Like if only one is plugged in, will it work right? Sorry for not knowing too much about this. Im trying to figure it out.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 57 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com