Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audacity alternatives for EQ? (free or nearly free)  (Read 5817 times)

Offline skinnypaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Audacity alternatives for EQ? (free or nearly free)
« on: August 01, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
I really like Audacity - it seems to be pretty stable now and for the simple editing I do it's mostly fine. The only thing that's kind of a pain is the clunky EQ filter - I can't save a filter and come back to it later, it's not very granular and (worst of all) I can't playback the recording and fiddle with the EQ on the fly.

Are there any free alternatives that I should be checking out? PC or Mac is fine.

Thanks!

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: Audacity alternatives for EQ? (free or nearly free)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 12:34:15 PM »
IMO Audacity is the suck.  Reaper is a much better program and comes with a lot of surprisingly good plugins.  Technically not "free", but like CDWave it's not crippled.  Single licenses are cheap though, and well worth the cost.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 12:49:36 PM »
IMO Audacity is the suck.  Reaper is a much better program and comes with a lot of surprisingly good plugins.  Technically not "free", but like CDWave it's not crippled.  Single licenses are cheap though, and well worth the cost.

What he said.  I'm currently invested in Samplitude SE (no longer available).  But if I were starting out now, I'd go with Reaper all the way.  Superior to Audacity in three critical ways:  workflow, features, and plugin support.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 06:04:24 PM »

What he said.  I'm currently invested in Samplitude SE (no longer available).  But if I were starting out now, I'd go with Reaper all the way.  Superior to Audacity in three critical ways:  workflow, features, and plugin support.

I'll have to investigate this more. Granted, I just use Audacity for tracking now, but occasionally mixing down from multi-channel. Would be nice to get better plugin support....
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 03:55:20 AM »

+1

Very flexible, yet sensible.  Great plugins included with the download. $40 if you decide to fall in love, but not crippled in any way.

Offline skinnypaul

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 04:33:21 AM »
Thanks all. I've downloaded the Reaper eval and it looks pretty nice. Though it also looks like I need to spend a morning reading how it works - no bad thing!

Offline skinnypaul

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 09:54:50 AM »
Hmm. I've had an evenings play with Reaper and I'm still scratching my head. It looks like a great too but it's quite a leap from an editor like Audacity.

Is there an idiots guide or tutorial out there geared towards the kind of stuff a taper might want to use it for?

Thanks!

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 11:24:12 PM »
What specifically are you trying to do with it?
EQ is a pretty broad term.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline skinnypaul

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 06:58:14 AM »
Most of my recordings seem to really benefit from a slight reduction in the bass and a boost in the mid-highs. They can sound really muffled or boomy otherwise even when I tape with a clear line-of-sight or close to the PA (I'm using CSBs).

Using Audacity I've had some success with the equalisation filter to do this but it's kind of a pain that I have to draw a filter (that I can't save!), wait 5 minutes while it applies, then listen through to see how it sounds. Then start again if I don't like it...

I like that fact that with Reaper I can build an EQ filter and tweak it in real-time. What I can't figure out is how I export the end result!

I'm guessing there's something really straightforward that I'm overlooking...

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 01:43:35 PM »
Using Audacity I've had some success with the equalisation filter to do this but it's kind of a pain that I have to draw a filter (that I can't save!), wait 5 minutes while it applies, then listen through to see how it sounds. Then start again if I don't like it...

I like that fact that with Reaper I can build an EQ filter and tweak it in real-time. I'm guessing there's something really straightforward that I'm overlooking...

well, depends. the native plugins for Audacity you can preview like 5 or 6 seconds with (controlled in the preferences window) from the beginning of your selection so you end up doing selections in the middle as tests, then applying everywhere afterward. For most non-native plugins like VSTs, you can't preview at all. Thats one of the biggest knocks against audacity; it's plugin support.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 02:45:26 PM »
^^^ Exactly.  I can live with the clunky interface.  The main limitation is that I cannot use plugins in real time.  Where Audacity is good is for simple tasks, cutting, converting, etc.  It can also run on Linux, Windows and Mac, so you only have to learn one tool.  But for any processing at all, you'll want another program.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 03:09:52 PM »

I like that fact that with Reaper I can build an EQ filter and tweak it in real-time. What I can't figure out is how I export the end result!

File>Render, This brings up the render dialog box where you will choose file bit rate, sampling rate conversion if applicable, and the choice of rendering the entire file or only the selected portion... This is where I render sample subsets to be able to audition the processing chosen.

Offline skinnypaul

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 12:01:32 PM »

File>Render, This brings up the render dialog box where you will choose file bit rate, sampling rate conversion if applicable, and the choice of rendering the entire file or only the selected portion... This is where I render sample subsets to be able to audition the processing chosen.

Doh! THANK YOU!!  :)

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 12:21:32 PM »
no problem, jump in, come ba k with more questions when you need.

joe

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com