Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new iMac  (Read 6885 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: new iMac
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 10:16:47 PM »
I have Wave Editor, but never really used it much -- it was just way slow.

For a Mac, I'd really recommend Amadeus Pro.  It only was like $40 for a full copy, though it may have gone up since they just released 2.0. Amadeus can do pretty much all you need for editing, plus you can add in VST and Audio Unit plugins to expand it's capabilities, plus it can cut into tracks on sector boundaries, open and save into wav, flac, mp3, AAC, ogg vorbis, etc.

Amadeus does pretty much all you need, but beyond that you'll want xACT which can tag and create MD5's and fingerprints, as well as having other useful utilities. xACT is an absolute must for Macs, and is made by a ts.com member and is based specifically on our needs.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 07:09:10 AM »
I never liked Wave Editor. It was too slow and clunky.

Sound Studio is my editor of choice, but I also use Amadeus Pro for matrix recordings.

I also use Sample Manager for resampling and dither.

xACT is a must have, as has been mentioned.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 11:33:58 AM »
I don't find wave editor slow at all on a new imac.  You copy your files to your hard drive before loading them into wave editor.  If you load your files directly into wave editor from sound card or usb it will be slow though.

The work flow in wave editor has a learning curve but there are online tutorials and the feature set is worth the curve.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 03:50:56 PM »
I don't find wave editor slow at all on a new imac.  You copy your files to your hard drive before loading them into wave editor.  If you load your files directly into wave editor from sound card or usb it will be slow though.

The work flow in wave editor has a learning curve but there are online tutorials and the feature set is worth the curve.

For me, the only features above what Sound Studio or Amadeus Pro offered was the resampling and dither algorithms. Hence why I went with Sample Manager instead.

The slowness was relative to SS in both action speed, time to do simple edits like fades or normalization, and dealing with the interface.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.312 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com