Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: prefered dB level for Normalizing  (Read 7577 times)

Offline Denes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Mr. Charlie told me so
prefered dB level for Normalizing
« on: July 01, 2012, 11:34:25 AM »
I am using Audacity to process my recordings.  The default Normalization level is -0.5dB.  Should I be using this, or just use 0dB.  I am also normalizing my left and right channel independently.
The side stage is my rigs main stage.

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: prefered dB level for Normalizing
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 11:42:52 AM »
I use -0,1
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 11:47:43 AM by robeti »
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 02:45:30 PM »
normalize together (otherwise it adjusts your balance between channels).

I bring it up to -0.3 or -0.4 and have a plugin that detects intersample clipping. There is some DAC equipment that will clip at lower than 0dbfs is my reasoning (The first Grace Designs headamp is an example I'm familiar with but there are others at various price points). Plus, there isn't any realistic benefit in pushing all the way to 0.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 04:16:43 PM »
I bring it up to -0.3 or -0.4 and have a plugin that detects intersample clipping. There is some DAC equipment that will clip at lower than 0dbfs is my reasoning (The first Grace Designs headamp is an example I'm familiar with but there are others at various price points). Plus, there isn't any realistic benefit in pushing all the way to 0.

This is the first time I have ever heard a rational reason for anything less than 0. THANK YOU. I think I've asked at least a half-dozen times in other threads and haven't heard anything like this...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 05:02:59 PM »

This is the first time I have ever heard a rational reason for anything less than 0. THANK YOU. I think I've asked at least a half-dozen times in other threads and haven't heard anything like this...

courtesy of GS, they pointed it out and then I started playing with the various DAC chips I had accessable. I found that my 901 (when I had one) wanted to generated a clip sound around -0.2 or -0.1. I'd have to look for the thread on GS to see just how low some folks had to go before their stuff didn't clip, but it seemed to even out above -0.5 so I keep it in that range.

The catch is it's actually possible to generate a signal higher than what your dbfs reading is. I remember reading it on the Izotope Ozone manual as to why they have a "detect intersample overs" option. I'm not sure how you would figure that stuff out manually though.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 05:41:08 PM »
The catch is it's actually possible to generate a signal higher than what your dbfs reading is. I remember reading it on the Izotope Ozone manual as to why they have a "detect intersample overs" option. I'm not sure how you would figure that stuff out manually though.

I don't think you can figure it out manually, at least not simply, which is why normalizing to something like .5 dB below full scale is good practice since that leaves sufficient headroom to accomodate possible intersample overs without compromising loudness in any significant way.  Which is what you just said.  :P

Techie speculation, it's been a while since I looked into this- But as I recall, intersample overs occur on energetic transients near the bottom edge of the transition band where there are minimal sample points per cycle and those samples land to either side of the to-be-reconstructed analog waveform peak.  I'd guess that intersample-over detectors first oversample the signal, then check the new samples for values over 0dBFS, indicating analog peaks larger than the DAC may be able to reconstruct but which go undetected at the actual sample rate being used as the samples on either side of the analog peak which are present at that rate are indeed =< 0dBFS.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline alpine85

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 06:33:33 PM »
A couple more reasons NOT to go all the way to 0dB:

1) You want to do all your editing (including normalization) in the highest quality sample rate and bitrate, and levels can fluctuate in the resampling and bit depth conversion processes.  If you normalize to 0 and then resample/convert bit depth you may end up with some clipping. 

2) The MP3 encoding process can change the levels too, so if your recording is ever going to be converted (via the LMA or whatever), you will probably end up with clipping if you go all the way to 0dB.

Usually normalizing to anywhere from -0.2 to -0.5 will leave enough headroom for all this stuff, and like the others have said, won't really affect the perceived loudness

MICS: AKG CK-1/CK-63/CK-8/CK-22 --> AKG 460/JW460/JW452
CABLES: GAKcables and Mogami
PRES: Apogee Mini-Me, SD USBPre-2, Busman UA-5
RECORDERS: Oade R-44, Tascam DR-100-MKII, JB3

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 07:52:13 PM »
thanks alpine85....i will put that into practice.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Denes

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Mr. Charlie told me so
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 07:56:53 PM »
I actually notcied some clipping.  Also, even though I normalized to 0db, I did notcie when playing on audacity, it showed those red bars when it went over 0db.

Thanks for the input.
The side stage is my rigs main stage.

runonce

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »

2) The MP3 encoding process can change the levels too, so if your recording is ever going to be converted (via the LMA or whatever), you will probably end up with clipping if you go all the way to 0dB.

Wouldn't the codec be smarter than than that? I would be surprised if this is the case...

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 11:39:03 AM »
A couple more reasons NOT to go all the way to 0dB:

1) You want to do all your editing (including normalization) in the highest quality sample rate and bitrate, and levels can fluctuate in the resampling and bit depth conversion processes.  If you normalize to 0 and then resample/convert bit depth you may end up with some clipping. 

Usually normalizing to anywhere from -0.2 to -0.5 will leave enough headroom for all this stuff, and like the others have said, won't really affect the perceived loudness

I've been normalizing to -0.2dbFS for both of these reasons, but hadn't heard of the DAC issue.  Reading more on it here though, I think I might start using -0.4db.

I did have problems with clipping when encoding to mp3 when I used to normalize to 0dbFS.  It was using the LAME encoder, but I don't know what version it was back then.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 06:40:54 PM »
There's a good discussion of inter-sample peaks on pages 24-26 pf the AD2K+ manual:
http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/sites/default/files/documents/ad2402-96-manual.pdf

As that manual is for the AD2K, it focuses on the A/D side of things, rather than the D/A during playback.  But it has a nice graph and the general concept is the same, so I think it's applicable to this discussion.

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 10:28:31 AM »
I've been normalizing to 0dB for most of my recordings and have never gotten any clipping, shrug ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 11:18:10 AM »
Come to think of it I don't think I have a set threshold that I always go to.
What's great in Wavelab and I am sure many other programs is, scanning for the highest peak.
I then find those particular peaks and depending on the severity either reduce gain or just bust
out ye ole pencil tool and redraw.
After that I peak normalize the difference from the peak scan to a safe level.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 12:10:38 PM »
I've been normalizing to 0dB for most of my recordings and have never gotten any clipping, shrug ...

I think the conversation here has been that it may clip on certain playback equipment, not all.  I've never heard an audible clip on my playback, but am willing to use a less than 0 dB peak if it helps out some others with more sophisticated playback set ups.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 01:33:51 PM »
Interesting, thanks !
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

runonce

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 01:52:10 PM »
Sounds like I need to update my Audacity workflow...

In the early versions - Normalize stopped at -3db...so I always used Amplify (which defaulted to 0)

Sounds like they've revised the normalize function - and with a safe preset...

Note to self... :-\

This is almost merits an alert somewhere - I think a lot of us who upload to the LMA probably still go to 0 (former conventional wisdom)

cashandkerouac

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 06:07:59 PM »
i set my peak at -0.5db for the reasons already stated.  however, i prefer using the hard limiter over the normalization function.   

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com