Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Matrix Time Stretch walk-thru for WaveLab 6.0............  (Read 7344 times)

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Matrix Time Stretch walk-thru for WaveLab 6.0............
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 03:26:16 PM »
I use Sony Vegas to stretch and it's a snap.  Send me the files and i will sink them up for you.  PM me if interested Eric.

Ditto.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 07:52:42 AM »
Ted, when you use Vegas to do the stretch, do the two files typically line up throughout or is there any mid-file mismatch?  If there's a mismatch, how is it to correct the mid-file drift using Vegas?  (I'm not a Vegas user, but I'd think it might get a bit hairy if there's not consistent straight line drift between the two sources.)

FWIW, I've had experiences both ways, where I'll stretch a file and it synchs well with the file I'm trying to match, but then I've had some where they don't line up great in the middle, even if they do line up at the beginning and the end.

In either case, when they don't match up, you need to line the tracks up so they're synched at time = 0 and then choose one or the other of the tracks to 'massage' all the way to the end of the set to get them paralleled with each other. 

For those of us that don't have Vegas, you can do this in the multi-track view of your DAW one of two ways that I know of.  You can try to stretch/shink small portions of the second track as you progress along the timeline of the show so that it matches the first track from t = 0.  Personally, I find this method to be a complete PITA and it never works right for me anyway. 

My preference is simply to delete tiny portions of the second file a tiny portion at a time along the track, starting at t = 0.  You can do this a song at a time or you can do a complete set at a time, as long as you build each master file starting from t = 0 with both files synched and keep them matched started from t = 0.  As long as you zoom way in and you only delete tiny portions on the second track, you can't hear the deletes...especially on a mixdown.  It's easy to keep the tracks lined up like this.  (hint: save often!)

I don't find it to be particularly difficult or really all that time consuming to synch two tracks when I use the second method (a couple hours for a show).  The key is, when you're lining up the tracks, to zoom in enough so you're focusing on individual notes along the timeline of the performance and make sure the two tracks are never more than a millsecond or so apart from each other, otherwise you'll hear the time delay between the two tracks as being overly reverb-y or echo-y on your mixdown master.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:12:02 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 08:31:33 AM »
I have never experienced a "mid file" drift.  I line up a high peak in the begining and stretch to line up the high peak at the end. Doesn't take long at all, maybe 5 minutes.  I then adjust levels of each source to my taste then vegas can render it down to 16/44.  Typical mix time with rendering is less then a 1/2 hour.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 09:04:17 AM »
I have never experienced a "mid file" drift.  I line up a high peak in the begining and stretch to line up the high peak at the end. Doesn't take long at all, maybe 5 minutes.  I then adjust levels of each source to my taste then vegas can render it down to 16/44.  Typical mix time with rendering is less then a 1/2 hour.

Damn.  That's freakin' sweet.  Hmmm, where did I put my old 'try it out' copy of Vegas anyhow?

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 11:04:06 AM »
The way I do this is to line up the beginning of the recording, then go to the end.

Try and find a spot to match it up TOWARDS the end. Doesn't have to be exactly at the end.

Then measure the time between the two points. To do this I highlight from the shorter sources peak to the longer sources peak.

On the lower right of the screen it will tell you how much time you selected.

Stretch the shorter source by that amount.

Doesn't work 100% of the time, but I usually can get it by the second or third attempt.

I have solved this problem by a second method which is much easier. I bought a DR-680. :P

I'd make another tutorial, but I don't use that method anymore since my two (or 3) sources are always in sync.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 03:25:47 PM »
I'd like to know why Vegas can do a timestrech operation in 5 minutes but Wavelab can take an hour or longer.

Offline nicegrin

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 04:58:11 PM »
It´s quite straight forward as Mike B already described...

If you are using the same two recorders often enough you just benefit alot from calculating the stretchfactor just once and then just apply it every time.

The stretch factor between my two m10s for example is 1.00000245144 which is about 10 times better than between my 10s and my Edirol R09 HR! :p

Applying this stretch factor the difference is usually less then 0.001 seconds at any time for a 2 hour recording!

Toy Box:

MICS:

Omnis:  6xNevaton MCE400s, Countryman b3s (modded), MM HLSOs (4.7K mod), Aevox in ear MK2s, CA-11s
Cards:   Schoeps MK4s with Schoeps CMRS, Milab VM-44 Links, SP CMC-8,  AT853, Sennheiser MKE 104, MM HLSC-1s, ECM-717
Hypers: AKG CK93s (modded), SP CMC-8, AT853, Audix 1280s (Church actives).

INBETWEEN: Naiant Tinybox (CMR mod), Naiant Tinybox (p48 mod), Naiant PFA, CA-9100, CA Ugly, Denecke PS-2 mini, MM-MBM, MM-CBM, SP SPSB-8, custom nuetrik XLR to TRS cables, 5 pin to 5 pin extension cable. 

DECKS: A10, M10, R05, Tascam DR-05, R09-HR , MT2, Sharp MS-H702, MZ-R 70.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 06:10:07 PM »
The way I do this is to line up the beginning of the recording, then go to the end.

Try and find a spot to match it up TOWARDS the end. Doesn't have to be exactly at the end.

Then measure the time between the two points. To do this I highlight from the shorter sources peak to the longer sources peak.

On the lower right of the screen it will tell you how much time you selected.

Stretch the shorter source by that amount.

Doesn't work 100% of the time, but I usually can get it by the second or third attempt.

I have solved this problem by a second method which is much easier. I bought a DR-680. :P

I'd make another tutorial, but I don't use that method anymore since my two (or 3) sources are always in sync.

Works similarly in Samplitude:
1) Find appropriate peaks near the beginning and ends of the file.
2) Measure the time or samples between those points in the reference (non-stretched file).
3) Select the same range in the file to be stretched.
4) Use the time or sample value from the reference file to modify the object properties of the one to be adjusted.

It probably doesn’t make much difference since the overall stretch percentage is pretty small, but simply as a best practice thing, it’s technically better and less artifact prone to ‘shrink’ the longer running file rather than ‘stretch’ the shorter running one, regardless of what editor is used to do it.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »
It's really easy in Sony Vegas but for best quality be sure to set

Project Properties audio tab to BEST pitch and time stretching

and very important to change in the timeline on the audio event to be stretched,Right CLick and go in to properties tab and change stretch method to Elastique PRO.Otherwise it defaults to classic A03.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com