Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Browser Showdown  (Read 8285 times)

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
Re:Browser Showdown
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2004, 04:15:04 PM »
Safari is based on KHTML, which is the HTML engine of Konqueror, the KDE/Linux browser

the water's clean and innocent

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2004, 04:55:23 PM »
it was written to lock out other non-major browsers.  dont ask me why.  supposedly starting next week it is supposed to start just warning that you arent using a supported browser and then allow you to continue.  ill believe it when i see it

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2004, 05:42:54 PM »
As much as I'd love to switch to opera or firefox, IE6 is still the most compatible - so that's what I use.

Once opera gets a little more compatible I might switch to that.  I really like a lightweight browser.  Firefox seems as clunky and slow as NS ever was.  Sure it's a little more compatible than NSx, but nowhere near perfect.

I've had compatibility issues with Opera as well, though haven't experienced any with Firefox.  I love the tabbed browsing in Firefox, and really really really love the keyboard navigation - makes it so I can rip through TS.com (and most other sites that aren't god-awful over-done with Flash and such) without having to use the damn rodent.  Nice!!

Because of the way Firefox loads pages, I initially thought it was slower than IE, but it's actually faster IME.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2004, 11:49:06 AM »
As much as I'd love to switch to opera or firefox, IE6 is still the most compatible - so that's what I use.

Once opera gets a little more compatible I might switch to that.  I really like a lightweight browser.  Firefox seems as clunky and slow as NS ever was.  Sure it's a little more compatible than NSx, but nowhere near perfect.

--mizary

Hmmm, very interesting comments.  I typically have about 8 browser windows or so open.  It sucked ass before I installed Firebird (now Firefox).  I can't imagine using anything else.  Yeah there's the occasional site that doesn't work properly, but a) it's because of poor coding on the web page, and b) how hard is it to fire up IE for that site?

And yeah Ska, I would have to agree.  Tables load as they come in with Firefox, whereas you have to wait for the whole thing to download before it will appear in IE.  I like that a lot.

Plus I've had IE crash on me a LOT more than I've had Firefox do so.
Mike

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2004, 06:40:36 PM »
+T to mirth for the only text browser on the list :lol:

Anything with tabbed browsing is king for me.  I like to multitask a lot with my broadband and am doing shit on all sorts of sites at the same time.  I used to use Konquorer (which Safari is based on) but while it renders pages beautifully (clean anti-aliased fonts, etc.) it is much slower then both Mozilla and Navigator for me.  Reasons unknown but the difference is measurable, I chaulk it up to it's nice rendering really.

Unfortunately for me I am a web developer and 99.54984323% of my clients/users are on IE so I develop and debug using IE6.
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2004, 10:20:17 AM »
safari
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

jpschust

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2004, 12:01:11 PM »
wow, thats a pretty specific stat on your clients browsers :-P

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com