Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which audio streaming software/service is the least hassle?  (Read 7435 times)

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Hey folks, looking for some advice.

I've been asked to record/archive an upcoming music festival (two weeks away) and they've since asked if I could also stream the audio if they provided an uplink. I'm still trying to find out details on the uplink but I assume it's some sort of point of presence scenario.

I've done some searching around here and also looking at the offerings from Mixlr, livestream and Ustream. I'm still at a loss as to which of these packages might work best for something like this.

I'm really just looking for a free or low cost way to stream 10-12 hours of music that day. Equipment wise I'll be running my Tascam DR-60D recorder and I assume I'll run the line out from that into the mic-in jack on my HP Pavilion dm1z Notebook PC running broadcasting software from the list above. Then of course connecting to whatever link it is they provide.

Seems real simple but I know better. Any thoughts from you all are much appreciated. I'm especially interested in this from the software perspective.
Thanks!

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
Re: Which audio streaming software/service is the least hassle?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 01:40:51 PM »
Flash Media Live Encoder should work for you.

Will work with onboard audio inputs or any interface with WDM driver support. (not ASIO)

Free

I've used it to stream audio only through UStream. Most streaming companies will generate a FMLE config file with you to make connection simple.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 03:10:25 PM »
I went through this early this year myself. I settled on using Audacity. I found it easy to set-up and it does a great job of capturing streaming audio.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 05:16:40 PM »
I went through this early this year myself. I settled on using Audacity. I found it easy to set-up and it does a great job of capturing streaming audio.

Chuck, Billydee is doing the opposite, he's looking for a solution to stream audio out of his recorder to the world.

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 05:20:58 PM »

Chuck, Billydee is doing the opposite, he's looking for a solution to stream audio out of his recorder to the world.
Yes, that's it exactly ScoobieKW. But Chuck's reply makes me wonder if I need to also have Audacity running on my laptop prior to sending it out, or will the three software/services I mentioned perform that function already.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 05:28:29 PM »
With Flash Media Live Encoder you don't need another program running, it sees any input that Windows Device Manger can work with. (your 1/8" input, a Roland UA-5, etc...)

It will also do a record of the stream at the same time. I'd still run your Tascam record, better quality.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 06:43:16 PM »
 :-[ Yeah, after I posted, I realized that his application was not the same as mine.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 04:32:31 PM »
So does anyone have a preference between the three streaming services I asked about?

1- Ustream
2- Mixlr
3- livestream

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 01:14:57 AM »
Hi Billydee,
So does anyone have a preference between the three streaming services I asked about?

1- Ustream
2- Mixlr
3- livestream

We I would go with one that's for audio only so probably mixlr. where are you planning on sending the link for people to listen in?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 09:54:45 AM »

We I would go with one that's for audio only so probably mixlr. where are you planning on sending the link for people to listen in?
[/quote]
After looking closely again at all three services, Mixlr is truly audio only but their free service only allows for one hour of broadcasting. Whereas Ustream seems to be unlimited for the 30 day trial period. At this point I'm going to focus on that one and test it out this weekend somehow.

I will post a link here if and when this looks to be a go. The fest I'm hoping to stream is on Sat August 9th in South Fork Colorado ( Rhythms on the Rio)http://rhythmsontherio.com/

Still trying to touch base with the internet provider there who has promised a dedicated link at the site and hoping to chat with someone that's actually done what I'm trying to do to get some tips.

Thanks all for your help so far.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 10:24:51 AM »
Hi Billydee,

1- Ustream
2- Mixlr
3- livestream

Flash Media Live Encoder will do an audio only stream with USTREAM, no experience with the other services.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 11:07:36 AM »
I've used both Ustream and Mixlr.  I prefer Ustream, using the Flash Media Live Encoder, as it allows me to easily adjust the bitrate to accommodate what bandwidth I may have available, allowing me to stream in less than ideal situations (bandwidth-wise).  I haven't used Mixlr in about a year, so perhaps they have some new features, but at the time, there was no way to adjust the bitrate.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline vegeta_ban

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 11:22:14 AM »
I've been using ustream since 09 I believe and with FMLE since 2010. It is very simple, didn't much like live stream or mixlr in comparison. I've been tempted to build my own flash media server to cut out the middle man, but don't have the time or resources.
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 12:38:17 PM »
billydee,

mixlr is only $5 a month for three hour increments.

Regards,
rastasean
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 07:55:04 PM »
So I did a little test today. Ran a previous recording thru the line out of the DR-60D to the mic input on my laptop (stereo mini to stereo mini). Ran Ustream via it's web front end, not the Producer software although I did download that. Then started up the FMLE software and it actually worked!  :o

Had a couple folks test it out on the other side of the country and it sounded ok to them.

For those that have done this with FMLE and Ustream, did you use the Producer software or just log in to their website front end?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com