Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: help burning DVD-audio  (Read 7182 times)

Offline Jeff F

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • BRING THE SNOW!!!!!
help burning DVD-audio
« on: January 19, 2005, 04:07:43 PM »
What is a good program to grab that can burn DVD-audio discs?  I recently got a few sources that are 24-bit, but can't burn them with the software I have.  I downloaded a trial version of some Ulead burning tool, but it failed on the files I tried to add.

Thanks in advance for the help.
"The mountains are calling and I must go"

Schoeps mk41/mk21 > KCY 250/5i > SX-M2-LS/2 (Lemosax) > Sony M10 (open)
Schoeps mk41/mk21 > KCY 250/2i > SX-M2-LS/2 (Lemosax) > Sony M10 (stealth)

Offline Weazel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • sp-cmc-8-> DIY BB -> Iriver IHP120 (rockbox)
Re: help burning DVD-audio
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 05:36:14 PM »
wavelab 5.0. i got few others on my hd , will check it out.
-[ pop goes the weazel ...]-

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 10:26:44 AM »
What is a good program to grab that can burn DVD-audio discs?  I recently got a few sources that are 24-bit, but can't burn them with the software I have.  I downloaded a trial version of some Ulead burning tool, but it failed on the files I tried to add.

Do you have a transport capable of supporting DVD-A?
A better option might be using Audio DVD Creator to make a DVD-V disc of just 24 bit audio.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 11:06:17 AM »

A better option might be using Audio DVD Creator to make a DVD-V disc of just 24 bit audio.

I think there is some general confusion of terms regarding DVD formats.  My understanding is that "DVD-A" refers to a specific format/encoding scheme, like SA-CD."  However, people often refer to DVD-A generically when they are talking about "standard" DVD-V files with music.  To avoid confusion, I usually refer to them as "music DVD" or "audio DVD."

You can download a trial version of Audio DVD Creator on the web.  I don't think it is fully functional. 
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 11:09:46 AM »

I think there is some general confusion of terms regarding DVD formats.  My understanding is that "DVD-A" refers to a specific format/encoding scheme, like SA-CD."  However, people often refer to DVD-A generically when they are talking about "standard" DVD-V files with music.  To avoid confusion, I usually refer to them as "music DVD" or "audio DVD."

You can download a trial version of Audio DVD Creator on the web.  I don't think it is fully functional. 

Yes, DVD-A is a specific format that is not supported by all DVD transports.
An Audio DVD created with Audio DVD Creator will play on most any DVD player.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline surf1div1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 02:20:29 PM »
I'm still not clear on the reference to the DVD program recommended above- (http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/) while it states that it will do high quality, it limits it to 16/48  on one part of it's statment, and then a little later in the verbage it stated that it will do it. I believe the intent of the question on this post is what will retain the 24/96 khz quality to disc that you can play- a DVD so far is the only thing on  disc you can use as Audio CD are limited to 16 bit. I only know of one software program that will do it so far and that is the Bronze Discwelder -  http://www.discwelder.com/
I'm actually searching for a program that will allow me to both editing in the native format-24/96 with a wave editor and allow me to burn to DVD audio- by DVD Audio, allow me to play the burned copy on DVD. So, I apolize for mudding the waters, but any help is appreciated.
DPA 4061>CHURCH CA UGLY Pre-AMP
>Roland R-07> 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 08:37:27 AM »
audio-dvd-creator does in fact burn dvd's in video format with 24/48 or 24/96 lpcm audio.

There are 3 levels of DiscWelder products that will burn DVD-A's (bronze, steel, chrome?)

Wave Lab 5 is a great wav editor that will also author DVD-A's.  I don't believe it supports DVD-A playback.

I'm still not clear on the reference to the DVD program recommended above- (http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/) while it states that it will do high quality, it limits it to 16/48  on one part of it's statment, and then a little later in the verbage it stated that it will do it. I believe the intent of the question on this post is what will retain the 24/96 khz quality to disc that you can play- a DVD so far is the only thing on  disc you can use as Audio CD are limited to 16 bit. I only know of one software program that will do it so far and that is the Bronze Discwelder -  http://www.discwelder.com/
I'm actually searching for a program that will allow me to both editing in the native format-24/96 with a wave editor and allow me to burn to DVD audio- by DVD Audio, allow me to play the burned copy on DVD. So, I apolize for mudding the waters, but any help is appreciated.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 10:37:16 AM »
For DVD-Video you can choose 16 or 24 bit, 48 or 96 kHz and that's it.
Anything else gets resampled.  I've had some dialogue with the developer of the audio-dvd-creator software to ask about the possibility of writing a non-standard DVD-V
I want to try 24/44.1 - I know my player has no issue with doing 44.1 - just not sure what happens if you specify a DVD-V that is out of spec.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline stlram

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 09:10:34 AM »
Your absolutely correct: DVD-A is 24/196. When people say DVD-A they really mean audio recorded on a DVD disc, i.e., 24/48-24/88 or 24/96, which is the audio portion of the DVD video. I hope folks get this cleared up and more acurately indicate what they are mastering.

I had a friend tell me on a few occassions that he is recording DVD-A. When he told me my jaw dropped and I really wanted his disc to hear what 24/196 would sound like. When I clarrify 24/196 he said, "No, it is 24/48". After clarrifying the difference with him he still occasionaly make a mistake when labeling his recordings.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 09:18:22 AM »
Your absolutely correct: DVD-A is 24/196. When people say DVD-A they really mean audio recorded on a DVD disc, i.e., 24/48-24/88 or 24/96, which is the audio portion of the DVD video. I hope folks get this cleared up and more acurately indicate what they are mastering.

I had a friend tell me on a few occassions that he is recording DVD-A. When he told me my jaw dropped and I really wanted his disc to hear what 24/196 would sound like. When I clarrify 24/196 he said, "No, it is 24/48". After clarrifying the difference with him he still occasionaly make a mistake when labeling his recordings.

dvd-a is not limited to 24/192.  dvd-a is a specific playback format that uses pcm audio at any range of bit depths and resolutions, not just 24/192 (there is no 24/196 by the way).

Offline stlram

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 09:46:28 AM »
My mistake on the 196, too early in the morning and a slip of the keys. But I would agrue and so would, as far as I know, any manufacture and studio in the world. DVD-A is 192-24. Anything else is not DVD-A.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 09:52:19 AM »
My mistake on the 196, too early in the morning and a slip of the keys. But I would agrue and so would, as far as I know, any manufacture and studio in the world. DVD-A is 192-24. Anything else is not DVD-A.

well, i'm not sure what to say.  i guess you could argue that anything less is not taking full advantage of the dvd-a format.  maybe you need to explain it further as I may not be understanding what you are saying.  i've authored and purchased dvd-a's that are 24/96.  what do you then classify these as?  they are most definitely NOT video dvd's with an audio track, they can only be played on players that support dvd-a.  so i'm not sure what you mean by "anything else is not DVD-A".  please explain.

-damon

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2005, 09:56:55 AM »

DVD-A is a format that supports several different bit/sample rates in PCM or MLP, and there are certainly commercial DVD-A's out there that are 24/96, not 192 (Mark Knofler's "Shangri-La" comes to mind)
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline stlram

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2005, 10:11:39 AM »
Hey Graig,

Get that turtable hooked up will ya!

I stand corrected and anyway here is what DVD-A will support.

Specification                DVD-Audio                                CD

Audio Forma                PCM                                        PCM

Disk Capacity               4.7Gb -Single layer
                                8.5Gb - Dual Layer
                     17Gb – Double Sided Dual Layer
                                                                               650Mb

Channels                    Up to 6                                     2 (stereo)

Frequency Response      0 - 96kHz (max)                        5 - 20kHz

Dynamic Range             144db                                     96db

Sampling Rate - 2 channel
                       44.1, 88.2, 176.4KHz or
                       48, 96, 192KHz
                                                                                44.1kHz

Sampling Rate - multichannel
                      44.1, 88.2KHz or
                      48, 96KHz
                                                                                 n/a

Sample Size (Quantization)
                       12, 16, 20, or 24 bits
                                                                                 16 bits

Maximum Data Rate
                      9.6 Mbps.                                              1.4Mbps

Offline stlram

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2005, 10:28:47 AM »
I thought I posted this but somehow it didn't make it.

The main reason DVD-A has been developed is to provide high resolution multi channel and 192/24 two channel recording. In two channel situations DVD-A is only at an advantage if it is recorded to 192/24. I wouldn't burn a 44/16 on DVD-A and consider it DVD-A recording. Sure DVD-A supports that format but is it really the sonic equal to 192/24 (rhetorical)

Again, I think it is important for folks to accurately discribe what they are burning and when someone states DVD-A in two channel and it is something less than 192/24 it can be misleading especially when it is 24/48, not that there is anything wrong with that but it is a far cry from what DVD-A was meant to support.   

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com