Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Review: Binaural Mics - SP-TFB-2 High Sensitivity + Edirol R-09  (Read 7530 times)

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Review: Binaural Mics - SP-TFB-2 High Sensitivity + Edirol R-09
« on: February 13, 2007, 07:42:31 PM »
I purchased a set of the SP-TFB-2 (http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-TFB-2) High Sensitivity on a whim, why not they were $60. I have an Edirol R-09 and thought I'd like to have a go at some binaural recordings.

WOW!  ;D

These mics are a perfect match for the R-09 (the internal R-09 mic power drives them no problems). They improve on the internal mics in every way, far far higher sensitivity (I've been using a setting of 4 to 8 on the high gain mode to record quiet sounds! It looks like I will get to use the low-gain setting for the first time ever), far lower noise, better frequency response, clarity and of course great stereo imaging (well it *is* binaural).

I record mostly quiet sources for ambience and sound FX in music/video production. My other field recording gear includes a Sound Devices MixPre and Rode NT55 stereo mics, so that is what I was comparing to...and for $69 I am astonished :o the results are definitely professional quality. The added bonus is they are so stealthy that I will be able to record anywhere without attracting (much) attention.

Anyhow I am posting this for the record if someone is searching for a great portable, light-weight, stealthy, field-recording solution...here's one that's so cheap, I'd start here first as you have nothing to lose.

If you are recording concerts the low sensitivity models may be a safer bet and if your recorder does not supply 3V plugin power then you will probably also need their battery box.

The only downside is that they are very delicate and appear to have quite fine cabling, that is not going to withstand a lot of beating/tugging. Similarly the ear-clips (in ear) may not be able to fit everyone and take a bit of practice to insert without a mirror, however they are flexible rubber and you can purchase some foam wind protectors that help them fit larger ears. They do work well for my ears however.

EDIT: OK here is the only example I have at the moment - Walk into my garage, turn on some lights (it's night), open the electric roller-door, walk outside to pick up a paper off the driveway, Diesel Toyota 4WD Land cruiser passes, dog barking in the distance, turn around and start walking back.

GEAR: SP-TFB-2 in ears (no windscreens) connected to an Edirol R-09 (mic jack) on High Sensitivity, low-cut filter and ACG off, Record Level 6, Mic power on. Recorded at 24 bit 44.1 kHz converted to 190 kbps mp3. 

http://www.digifishmusic.com/public/Binaural_Test_190kbps.mp3

More later...when I stop gushing :) it's just I don't buy audio gear that impresses me like this very often.

digifish.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 04:48:16 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Review: Binaural Mics - SP-TFB-2 High Sensitivity + Edirol R-09
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
I think your R9 is providing most of the "wow" factor.
:)
actually, these suckers can sound pretty damn'd good.  I made a killer recording w/them just running directly into an M1 once.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 10:04:50 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 10:05:08 AM »
from my 2001 review on nickspicks.com:
The Sound Proffesionals True Fidelity In-Ear Binaural microphones

I thought that these mics would be good for a goof. Just another pair of cheap omni's.
Oh, how wrong I was.....Before telling you how great these mics sound (they do sound very nice), let me first point out that these are the only mics that I'm aware of, or that are readily available with accurate binaural recording in mind. Sure, other manufactures use the term, but in order to be true to the practice, binaural recording should include the pena of your ear. This is the outer part. It is very important in regards to how sound is harnessed and directed into your inner ear where all the hearing mechanisms are located. If you're not familiar with this method of stereo recording, check out my FAQ on mic placement. It is the accurate reproduction of "how you would hear it if you were there" that binaural recording strives for.
Man, can these mics deliver!
As you can see from the illustration, these omni-directional micro elements are mounted in a soft plastic molding that fits the inner ear. That's right, these mics mount at least 2cm inside your ear! It makes all the difference in the world when this is done.
Playback of any recording made with these is most desirable when headphones are used. The direct separation of the channels from left headphone > left ear / right headphone > right ear completely immerses the listener into a wonderfully accurate soundscape. The stereo image is wide and clear and the sound is rich and deep. They sound pretty decent when played over loudspeakers as well, but headphones really make a good binaural recording shine. I can't think of much that I don't like about these. At under $70 for a pair, you really can't go wrong. They make an outstanding low profile recording package.
I would highly recommend some sort of battery module with these. They are sensitive and can brickwall the built-in preamp on a DAT or MD deck w/little volume from the PA.

Some notes from the Sound Pro's web site:
- Signal To Noise Ratio: >62dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa
- Dynamic Range: 74dB, w/o battery module, 94dB w/ battery module
- Frequency Response: 20 - 20,000 Hz
- Open Circuit Sensitivity: -35 dB (5.6 mV) re 1V at 1 Pa
- Maximum Input Sound Level: 105 dB SPL, 1 kHz at 1% T.H.D. (120dB when powered by our battery module)

Listen to the many MP3 samples:
"Not Dark Yet" and "Lonesome Death of Hattie Carrol" are the ones that I made.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 11:26:21 AM »
fwiw...there are links and other stuff, but you have to hit the real site to see them.

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 03:49:35 PM »
I bought those very binaurals from Nick, I have them for sale in the yard sale, but I think I'm gonna keep em. With the Church Audio CA-9100 they sounded bomb on classical music, and ok on indoor rock in a crappy bar. but listen to digfish's sample, that's why I'm keeping them. I do occasional non-musical video work and I can just wear the mics in my ears and plug the CA-9100 straight into the camera, wonderful stereo sound that's very simple with no post-production crap to deal with. :)
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 05:03:47 PM »
I think your R9 is providing most of the "wow" factor.
:)
actually, these suckers can sound pretty damn'd good.  I made a killer recording w/them just running directly into an M1 once.

And possibly my pinna :)

I have been using the R-09 with a lot of different mics connected through the MixPre --> Line in, and had considered the mic-in a bit of a lost cause. I am thinking to myself what could have been if they used these capsules in the R-09 originally? However the main thing about the TFB + R-09 match is that the mics and preamp seem to work wonderfully together. The low noise and sensitivity is astounding.

One issue with the TFBs I have noticed is that if you get close to sources of electrical interference they will pick it up...like leaning up against a wall with a mains cable going past your head, or some fluoro lighting.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline beaglegriffon

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 07:04:27 PM »
I just got an edirol CS-15 for my R-09. I can't believe the perfect recording i got last weekend on a light pole....I'm going to get another one...

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 08:45:48 PM »
nice reviews t's around
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com