Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping from seat?  (Read 5336 times)

Offline whitenite

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re:Taping from seat?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2003, 08:51:57 AM »
i can almost always open stand legs up with no problem.  typically, for me anyway, the seats have enough open space to squeeze one of the legs in between.  just expanding the legs enough to get some balance, the other two will rest nicely against the seats allowing plenty of room for people to mobilize.  my mics coupled with a t-bar make for a nice top-heavy rig, especially with a bogen 17'.  if that don't work, since i always have two tickets, i just remove a seat allowing plenty of space for your stand (some venues will bitch about it).  as a precautionary measure, i always have two tickets...and never plan on sitting down  (caveats always prosper)

oh yeah..duct tape and ties are a necessity  ;D

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2003, 09:03:26 AM »
Yeah - I typically open my stand legs up just a bit, maybe a few inches, just for stability, and of course, never plan on even MOVING. If I'm taping with friends, they know to sit on whichever side of me is closest to the aisle so they won't have to go by if they need to get out - I just try to get as close to the center of the section as possible so folks won't have to squeeze by and haven't had a problem yet...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2003, 09:05:22 AM »
honestly though, I have run my stand probably in the 14' range, and as long as that thing is solidly duct taped to the seat structure...it isn't going anywhere...no reason to open the legs.  I have an old stand that has a flat bottom when it is collapsed and the only reason I keep it is to run in cases where I dont want to expand the legs.  

The only time I can see this not necessarily being secure enough is in a situation where the seats are not permanent (i.e. bolted to the ground) and as a result, do not give a sturdy enough base to duct it to....

Offline whitenite

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2003, 12:16:35 PM »
honestly though, I have run my stand probably in the 14' range, and as long as that thing is solidly duct taped to the seat structure...it isn't going anywhere...no reason to open the legs.  I have an old stand that has a flat bottom when it is collapsed and the only reason I keep it is to run in cases where I dont want to expand the legs.  

The only time I can see this not necessarily being secure enough is in a situation where the seats are not permanent (i.e. bolted to the ground) and as a result, do not give a sturdy enough base to duct it to....

agree.  my concern is not so much one of stability, but of rigidity.  with a pair of heavy condensers and that shure bar, not to mention a stand not cutout for a heavy load it can become quite a pain.  god forbid someone wanting to clamp on!  i have had problems with the top of the stand (smaller section) bending in one direction, unless you have that puppy set up perfectly straight.  this can affect your config/soundstage if you are not careful.  with the legs out, i have never had this problem.  if not, i tend to only duct tape it enough to secure it but leave room for maneuvering it to counteract the "leaning" problem.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com