Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DR-680 locks @ 44.1 and 48 but not 96  (Read 2400 times)

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
DR-680 locks @ 44.1 and 48 but not 96
« on: May 18, 2011, 06:38:37 PM »
Doing more trials with the new 680.  The 680 will lock to the MiniMe via SPDIF at all rates except 96K.
So I connected via AES from the the MiniMe through a transformer to SPDIF on the 680 and it locks every time.
I tried this with 5 different cables and the behavior is exactly the same.  The only way it will lock is using the AES out of the MiniMe.
Tried every order of device startups, same behavior.
Must be something the 680 doesn't like about the MiniMe SPDIF @ 96.  I've used the MiniMe a lot with a PMD671 @ 96K without problems.

It's not a big problem.  I'll just use the SPDIF out on the MiniMe to a backup recorder like I used the AES before.
Anyone else had problems syncing the 680 at high sample rates?
(Tomorrow I'll try synching the 680 @ 96K via SPDIF from my firewire interface, but my new RC car arrives tomorrow so priorities might change  ;D)

Dave
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
Re: DR-680 locks @ 44.1 and 48 but not 96
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 09:22:16 PM »
Not that logically it should matter, but have you gone into the menu I/O part and tried changing the D.OUT mode from SPDIF to AES/EBU  or AES/EBU to SPDIF?  Although it's for the digital out it might affect the input issue you have.  Either way, good you found a workaround.

Offline dlh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 10:21:04 PM »
Not that logically it should matter, but have you gone into the menu I/O part and tried changing the D.OUT mode from SPDIF to AES/EBU  or AES/EBU to SPDIF?  Although it's for the digital out it might affect the input issue you have.  Either way, good you found a workaround.

Actually, yes.  I think I covered every combination of menu settings.  Just part of my obsessive nature.
Thanks for thinking.

Dave
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 01:31:29 AM »
+T
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 10:54:59 AM »
I'd suspect that it is something to do with the way 96Hz is output from the mini me.  The 680 reads the incoming headers not the actual signal.  this is the reason it will not lock with Audient Mico preamp and was the reason the Sound Devices USBPre2 had locking issues.  If you get a lock via AES I would not worry about it.

Offline dlh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 02:58:47 PM »
I'd suspect that it is something to do with the way 96Hz is output from the mini me.  The 680 reads the incoming headers not the actual signal.  this is the reason it will not lock with Audient Mico preamp and was the reason the Sound Devices USBPre2 had locking issues.  If you get a lock via AES I would not worry about it.

Yup, you're spot on.  Tried my Firestudio SPDIF out to the 680 and worked just fine.
So you're logical reasoning proves accurate, Mr Spock.  8)
Sure am glad the MM has an AES also.
Thanks for your time.

Dave

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com