Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

very simple setup for stealth recording

(1/28) > >>

wannabetaper:
Hello all,
I would like to record a concert that I will be attending in a couple of weeks, sitting in the first row. I have zero experience and would like to work with a very simple setup... I want to enjoy the concert and not to have to be paranoid about being caught and don't want to bother with fake earplugs mics, glass clipped mics, or stuff like that. I thought about simply putting a zoom H2 in the front pocket of my shirt but after checking the dimensions it looks like it is a little too big and it wouldn't be discreet enough (remember I will be on the first row!). Then I thought, why not put it in the slightly larger front pocket of a business suit. Yet it will still be obvious that I have something in that pocket. I also checked the dimensions of the Tascam recorder, which is a little taller but also thinner. But I think the metal mics of the Tascam will be particularly obvious, especially for someone looking from above (in particular from the stage). Another possibility would be to wear one of those very thin silk scarves one sometimes wear with suits to hide the pocket. Do you think that makes sense or does it sound like the best recipe for getting something absolutely inaudible? Also what about having the recorder inside a (non closed) bag, on my laps?
Any suggestion is welcome as long as the budget remains reasonable and it's simple enough...
Thanks a lot in advance for your kind help!

Belexes:
I'd enjoy the front row seat and leave the taping to someone else.  The results using internal mics from a shirt pocket from front row may not be worth the hassle.

it-goes-to-eleven:

--- Quote from: wannabetaper on November 11, 2008, 07:14:17 AM ---I would like to record a concert that I will be attending in a couple of weeks, sitting in the first row. I have zero experience and would like to work with a very simple setup... I want to enjoy the concert and not to have to be paranoid about being caught and don't want to bother

--- End quote ---

Let us know how that works out.  I have a very similar dream about skydiving off the empire state building.  I have never skydived before and don't really want to practice in advance.  I just want to take the elevator up and do it right on my first try.  Preferably on the way out to a nice night out on the town.  I figure I can hide the chute under my dinner jacket and just have someone hold it while I do the jump.   I could waste a lot of time searching the archive and reading the countless posts on how experienced people do this but I don't want to bother.  Just jump and pull the cord, right?  I don't want to be paranoid about this either.   I also want to do this on a reasonable budget.

Brian Skalinder:
One interpretation of FL's comments...

Taping, particularly stealth, requires commitment and compromises.  If one wants to get a good recording, one can't:  <a> behave the same way one normally would at a concert, <b> expect to do so perfectly without practice, <c> ignore appropriate placement of the mics to achieve the desired results, and <d> expect the desired results (whatever they are) without allocating an appropriate budget.

FWIW, the front row generally doesn't provide very good sound, as someone else noted already.  Answer a few questions to help yourself decide whether it's worth it:

[*]What's your budget?
[*]With what quality of result would you be happy?  Maybe download a few stealth recordings, maybe made with just the recorder's internal mics, and others with recorder + external head-worn mics, to determine what quality you find acceptable.
[*]Are you willing to remain quiet, in a fixed position, for the duration of the concert?
[*]What's your willingness to accept risk, for example getting denied enetry or booted out of the venue if caught?
[/list]

wannabetaper:
Thank you Freelunch for your very helpful post. FYI I have already browsed the archive and read zillions of posts about the not great preamps of the mic input of the zoom, about the various microphone possibilities, with or without battery box, etc. On the other hand I have also read that some people were quite happy with the recordings they got by just slipping the zoom in their shirt pocket. But at the end of the day, I still have no idea what would work for me. It's like reading about cars when you have never driven a car yourself.

I think my question is quite simple. I just want to keep some memories of a particular concert, of course I don't expect to get high quality on my first attempt. But I am just wondering if it is worth trying. Belexes said no. At least he answered the question. To make things even more concrete: if I have a zoom in a front pocket, how is it likely to compare with the sound one would get from a low-end to average camcorder that would be pointed directly to the stage? If it is not worse, then that maybe good enough for me...

Update after reading Brian's reply: My budget is that for a zoom or slightly more expensive recorder. I am willing to stay still and keep a jacket even though it will likely be hot but I don't want to take a chance of being caught. I don't think that in this kind of concert people will be checked at the entrance, so it is enough that the recorder is not visible during the concert. Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version