Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Team classical recording  (Read 107105 times)

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
Re: Team classical recording
« Reply #240 on: January 21, 2013, 04:27:35 PM »
I ordered a second microdot/xlr adapter so that will be an option. Might also give the AKG active gear I ordered from Jon a whirl as well at some point once I have that in hand. Next classical performance will be in mid-Feb.

Now I'm contemplating recording Gamelan Raga Kusuma (music and dancing) in the same venue next week.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #241 on: January 21, 2013, 06:41:08 PM »
Do it!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #242 on: February 16, 2013, 06:56:09 PM »
Sooo... Is there a rule of thumb related to the optimum angle down and aim point of a stereo pair if you're setup behind a conductor? (e.g. 30 degrees below level and aimed 2/3rds of the way deep into the orchestra)

Paging D.Satz and J.Willett, cleanup on aisle 5. Thank you.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #243 on: February 16, 2013, 08:48:18 PM »
Sooo... Is there a rule of thumb related to the optimum angle down and aim point of a stereo pair if you're setup behind a conductor? (e.g. 30 degrees below level and aimed 2/3rds of the way deep into the orchestra)

try 5 degrees downward tilt
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #244 on: February 16, 2013, 08:52:33 PM »

and aim where (which would thus give me a height).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #245 on: February 16, 2013, 09:04:12 PM »

Place the mic pair about 6.5 to 8 feet higher than the performance floor, about 4 to 6.5 feet behind the conductor, tilt the array down 5°.  Listen carefully to results after recording a rehearsal, adjust distance and height until satisfied with the ambience and imaging.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 09:12:47 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #246 on: February 16, 2013, 10:20:35 PM »

Place the mic pair about 6.5 to 8 feet higher than the performance floor, about 4 to 6.5 feet behind the conductor, tilt the array down 5°.  Listen carefully to results after recording a rehearsal, adjust distance and height until satisfied with the ambience and imaging.

Really, that low for a mid-sized chamber orchestra? That looks like I'd be losing the direct sound (as blocked by sheet stands) for anything past the first or second row if I was under 9' off the stage floor. Am I missing something? I get the 6' back from the conductor, that gets a nice orchestral angle, but the low height throws me for a loop.

Unfortunately practice/listening isn't an option for this, so I'm trying to compensate with extra planning... I have a sneaky suspicion that I'll be at a minimum of 8' off the stage floor (tall conductor...)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #247 on: February 17, 2013, 07:25:58 PM »
I would record at a height equal to the orchestra and maybe just a few feet behind the conductor
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #248 on: February 19, 2013, 02:01:07 PM »
I record a jazz orchestra with a stand right behind the conductor on a regular basis.
Tried a bunch of different heights (and mic configs) over the years, basically by eyeballing from the stage, then listening back..
Obviously conditions vary and its a game of finding a useful compromise.

I think the only reference that would be useful for you is that I try to get a balanced sound by thinking of placing the mics sort of equidistant from all rows of performers, front to back.
So adding height moves the mics away from the front row saxes (loud), and effectively sort of brings the mid-row trombone section (quiet) more into the mix. (Trumpets in the back have no problem projecting..)
The actual placement would be unique for the riser configuration they use on stage.

I additionally also run/split a couple spot mics for quiet instruments like percussion and vocals to get them to tape at decent levels for later blending.

-Cheers!

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #249 on: February 19, 2013, 03:45:50 PM »
page and I are actually tackling very similar challenges this week. Without the benefit of practice taping a rehearsal I think I am going to start about 9ft with a small amount of downward angle. I will dust of my junior high trig and do some rough calculations to see if I'm way off once I see how they physically setup the group to aim for equal distances.

Thanks for the helpful responses to page's questions which in turn benefit me as well. At the very least I feel like I have a good place to start from with a reasonable chance of decent results. I'm recording Thursday so I can take notes and let page benefit from what I learn. I don't expect to have my KCY Tinybox yet so my Schoeps are out but I will probably run page's DPA 4015 subcard pair he has generously loaned me.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #250 on: February 19, 2013, 05:24:14 PM »
There are several iOS Apps (i.e.: iHandy Level, Clinometer+3, etc.) that are handy to measure your tilt angle.

iHandy Level Free By iHandy Inc.

Clinometer+3 By michael heinz

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #251 on: February 20, 2013, 08:58:48 PM »
I think the only reference that would be useful for you is that I try to get a balanced sound by thinking of placing the mics sort of equidistant from all rows of performers, front to back.
So adding height moves the mics away from the front row saxes (loud), and effectively sort of brings the mid-row trombone section (quiet) more into the mix. (Trumpets in the back have no problem projecting..)
The actual placement would be unique for the riser configuration they use on stage

Thanks. His was where I was headed in that ive done jazz recording exactly like this (irnically, i fnd trmbones loud and trumpets quiet, i guess i know loud trombone players or quiet trumpeters... actually it probably because reading sheet music with a trumpet necessitates "looking" down and effectively muting it some)

First, most of the strings will be targeted/tilted upward in their radiation pattern. Second, i find sheet stands to be blockers in terms of clear sound, more so than i would have expected. This is also a carry over from jazz recording, so I didnt know if folks did anything to compensate for that. Like chris, I appreciate the responses.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #252 on: February 20, 2013, 10:14:08 PM »
Music stands suck.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #253 on: February 20, 2013, 10:29:29 PM »
Music stands suck.

one more reason to listen to improvised music...  ;D
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Tom McCreadie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #254 on: February 21, 2013, 09:45:01 AM »

Ensure that the angle subtended to the stand top by the L- and R-edges of the orchestra fits comfortably within the recording angle of the array. Normally you would need ca. 90 deg (+/- 45) subtended when using an ORTF setup, but ca. 80 deg. (bit further back) for NOS. Try to even out the intensity (distance) differences  between the front and rear orchestra rows by raising the mics. This will also minimize the effect of one musician blocking the sound of a player behind him (less of an issue if the musicians are on a "terraced" podium.) When using unidirectional mics like cardioids, it can help to point the mics slightly downwards, but at the rear row. By feathering the mics over the heads of first row, you enlist the off-axis level drop-off of the cardioids to help manage the front/rear level inbalance.

After a final check that the direct/reverb ratio is pleasant (by listening through one ear), you might typically be ca. 3m behind the conductor and 3-4m high. Then the test recording and tweaking can begin in earnest  :-).

Li

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com