Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Team classical recording  (Read 107107 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Team classical recording
« Reply #255 on: February 21, 2013, 09:57:27 AM »
Music stands suck.
one more reason to listen to improvised music...  ;D

..where the musician plays the roll of real-time instantaneous composer.  I'm happy there is a broad fertile range between both ends of the spectrum. 

Music stands are an unfortunate necessity.  They clutter up things, get in the way of the stage arrangements, and block sound and sight lines.  Bring on the retinal projection score technology.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #256 on: February 21, 2013, 10:37:19 AM »
When using unidirectional mics like cardioids, it can help to point the mics slightly downwards, but at the rear row. By feathering the mics over the heads of first row, you enlist the off-axis level drop-off of the cardioids to help manage the front/rear level inbalance.

Makes sense. Thanks for the confirmation.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #257 on: February 21, 2013, 01:06:07 PM »
It was a slow moring here, I'll play something of a contrarian on the stand height / microphone angle geometry stuff.

My suggestion is not to get overly hung up on trying to get a similar level of direct sound from all sections of the orchestra.  For one thing, the physical arrangement of instrument sections is purposeful and designed with the loudness and timbre of each section as heard from the audience in mind. For another, hearing a wide range of depths across the orchestra or ensemble makes for a more interesting and rewarding listening experience to my ear.  To be clear, I’m not taking about some purist stance of ‘recording the actual sound,’ or ‘recording from the audience perspective’.  I have no qualms about improving things to optimize the listening experience as much as possible.

All the suggestions for height and angle have obviously worked well for others here and are more or less standard time-tested setups, yet.. and I know it is cliché to say so and repeated ad nauseum.. trust your ears rather than your eyes or the dictates of any standard setup technique to optimize things beyond those generic starting points if you can.  And when doing that, it may be helpful to mentally switch hats back and forth between listening as a music lover as well as a recordist and audio technician.

What makes for an interesting and engaging recording to your ear?  Do you really want all the sections of the orchestra to appear in the same sonic depth-layer, with the same direct/reverberant balance?  If the room doesn’t sound that great, then that may be a good choice to achieve the most palatable sound. But if the room sounds really good..

What I really love about my better classical recordings is when the technical aspects are well balanced enough that I can quickly put all those things out of mind and forget about them when listening. I want a full experience of being there, hearing it all even more optimally than I can experience it live- with among other things, both intimacy and depth in a believable perspective, both equally important.

Beyond the basic technical aspects need to achieve a decent recording, I get that listening experience from a good breadth of balanced contrasts- a wide range of dynamics, image depth, timbres, and imaging, and room envelopment.  I don’t get that listening experience when all the instrumentation seems to have nearly identical depth and an identical direct/reverberant balance.  I want to hear all the elements and sections clearly of course, but I also want to hear the instruments which are located in the back of the orchestra as being in back and farther away.

Admittedly, recording that way is something of a luxury which demands a great sounding room.  If the ambience of the room doesn’t sound that great, or if there are other more basic issues, a reduced depth perspective which achieves a clear and equal contribution from all sections may be a very wise compromise. But if the room sounds great, do you really want all the sections of the orchestra to appear in the same sonic depth-layer, with the same direct/reverberant balance? 

Ideally I don’t want the instruments in the back row to have the same apparent depth as those in front.  I want them to sound like they are in the back, farther away from me, deeper in a great sounding hall than the sections in front.  I want the front sections to sound closer, including any featured soloists sounding more direct and intimate standing beside the conductor, yet still in the same space and not overlaid on top or oddly gigantic.

I was thinking about this (and this thread) last night while reading some excerpts from David A. Pickett’s website on his research into the music of Mahler.  He explains how after a few performances, Mahler would sometimes make post-publication manuscript revisions to his scores to achieve the intended sound from the audience perspective, reflecting his experience of conducting them in a live concert hall setting, and how those changes have sometimes become ridiculously exaggerated in recordings which ignore the composers original intended listening balance for clarity and technical balance.  I’d argue it also sacrifices the sonic depth which I feel make a great recording engaging and enveloping. Here’s a good short example with sound clips to hear what he’s talking about- http://www.fugato.com/pickett/mahler5-3.shtml

His general argument is pretty much what I’m getting at, although it argues more specifically against over use of spot microphones (an long running classical recording debate we’re all familiar with – I’m sure we’ve all have ridiculously exaggerated soloists or other sections in some commercial classical recordings).  As mostly simple stereo-pair recordists for the most part, we don’t need to worry about those spot mic’ing problems so much, but I still find the crushed depth perspective provided by mics up high looking down on the orchestra to often sound unnaturally flat and less-engaging, even if it does make for all the sections sounding more or less equally clear.  It can also present problems with timbre from the upward radiating brightness and proximity of the violins and violas as others have noted.

I don’t want either an entirely distant, ambient audience perspective or a flat, up-close birds ear view.  I want the best balance which incorporates something of both extremes, something of a middle way with range.

In the best rooms I’ve recorded in, I’ve gotten that from diffuse field response omnis placed lower, out of the bright upward violin radiation zone, sometimes without a direct line of sight to everything farther back. I much prefer the sound of violins from in front of them rather than not very high above them.. as long as the damn music stands don't get in the way. ;) The diffuse omnis, placed out of the violin screech zone helps achieve that.  But good clarity from the distant instruments in back while also getting that nice depth requires very good room sound. 

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #258 on: February 21, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »
Music stands suck.

On a contrarian note: I was initially a bit surprised by how many improvising musicians do have some sort of music notation on stands at their performances.  I'd bet in a blindfold test without prior knowledge of the players it would be practically impossible to tell if a particular improvising performance (or even one more or less fully improvised) involved some sort of notation or not (though one can sometimes easily recognize when there is no notation at all).  I'm inclined to think that middle space may actually be the most challenging way to try to play... 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #259 on: February 21, 2013, 03:14:32 PM »
How much is, and the limitations on what can be indicated in a score is an interesting thing.

I imagine some jazz charts are highly notated while others simply indicate the song structure (A-B-A-B-A for example) and the Key or modes or what have you.  Like many others, as an amateur musician who doesn't read music, I use simple lyric and chord change sheets to play less familiar pieces with friends.  Other than following that the chord structure, the arrangement and playing is either improvised or interpretations of the general melody line.  Ironically the problem is usually a lack of music stands and extra copies, making the lyrics and chord changes hard for everyone to follow by sight.  I once considered building a board with foot switched lights that a song leader could use to clearly and easily indicate just the chord changes to the rest of the group, and maybe when the B section rolls around.

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #260 on: February 22, 2013, 02:51:17 AM »
I ended up at about 12ft up, 8ft behind conductor, ORTF config (did my best) ~110*, 17cm separation, 15* down angle. Turned out pretty good other than my levels weren't high enough and after normalizing there is a lot of background noise. If soloist I was recording for approves I can share a sample.

I ran page's DPA 4015s > tinybox +16db > sony pcm-m10 gain 4

Here's a picture from riser:

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 03:39:50 PM by Ultfris101 »
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #261 on: February 22, 2013, 09:02:21 AM »
So thinking about the levels more, I didn't want to jump all the way to +32db on the tinybox for fear of maxing out. In hindsight I probably would have been ok, but it's a bit scary to go that far. I never have trouble getting decent levels (in the -12db range) with loud rock or at least I don't notice the noise floor after normalizing except for a show like the The Residents which I recorded recently and for the first time in memory an audience was actually quiet.

I've been thinking about getting another preamp to pair with my R-44 and provide balanced connections all the way through as well as more variable gain. If I had had time to run more tests I'd have used page's usbpre2 but in this case didn't want to change too many things up.

Is it normal to find you need to add that much gain in this recording scenario or does this suggest I was setup in a less than optimal location/configuration? I know it's probably tough to answer without samples. I'll try to get some up soon.

Lee, I only had a chance to skim your post last night after the performance. It certainly has me thinking after the fact. I hope get an opportunity to record in this venue again. If you consider the best seats (or any seats) in the house are rarely 15 ft up right behind the conductor, there's certainly something to be said for capturing what the audience is hearing. I'm far from an expert in these things, but it sounded pretty good to me sitting at the base of my mic stand. I assume a couple rows up the riser right behind me would have been just that much better.

I do wish I had had another set of mics or an omni down lower as the Conductor spent a fair amount of time introducing the pieces and the soloist was also given an opportunity to talk about the piece she chose to perform. That was picked up but is very low even after amplifying.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:06:21 AM by Ultfris101 »
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #262 on: February 22, 2013, 10:09:18 AM »
Is it normal to find you need to add that much gain in this recording scenario or does this suggest I was setup in a less than optimal location/configuration?

Unlike amplified and compressed rock shows Orchestral Music has a very W - I - D - E  Dynamic Range! 
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #263 on: February 22, 2013, 10:18:28 AM »
Dynamics are so heavily dependant on the program and the audience for this type of recording.  Peak levels other than audience applause are harder to predict.  If your levels are lower than you’d like, call it recording headroom and you can feel better about it.  If the audience was relatively tame, they won’t peak too high with the mics 12’ up and it really becomes a question of the dynamics of the pieces played.  It's usually either all pretty low or hugely dynamic in places.

I wasn’t suggesting you should necessarily setup the mics lower, I'm mostly just rejecting always using standard cookie-cutter setups and throwing alternate ideas out there.  I'm also not actually advocating putting the mics in the 'best seat' locations in the audience. I think the mics really need to be closer to the ensemble than that, somewhere around the critical distance.

Of course a lot of what determines which live and recorded perspective is optimal is simply personal preference.  I like the impact, intimacy and perspective of sitting up front, and I also like not having patrons in front of me which become distractions.  Maybe that’s the recordist in me.  Most prefer to sit farther back where the orchestra blends a bit more. It’s a good thing we don’t all prefer the same things.

Lower will catch more of the audience perspective as well as the conductor's introductions, but can introduce problems like picking up little noises like squeaky performer chairs or conductor podium, more audience noise in general, and more specifically discernible audience noises in the near-proximity.   It will make the applause peak higher and sound much closer.  It’s all about finding the most optimal compromise for the situation.

I can’t imagine you could go wrong with the setup in your photo.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #264 on: February 22, 2013, 01:50:20 PM »
Music stands suck.

On a contrarian note: I was initially a bit surprised by how many improvising musicians do have some sort of music notation on stands at their performances.

+1

Whether they read it or not is a different question, but most of the folks I know who do improv (but not avant-garde) style music that has a general base to it will use stands. The pure free/improve people don't use stands, but thats a different story.

ORTF config (did my best)

don't forget; ortf is cardioid only. Now that I think about it, I don't think there are any traditional patterns that use subcards; it's all SRA-style calculations at that point.

Turned out pretty good other than my levels weren't high enough and after normalizing there is a lot of background noise.

I ran page's DPA 4015s > tinybox +16db >

your AKGs have a much higher mv/pa sensitivity than the DPAs which are 11 mv/pa, so you're needing more gain to get the same levels right off the bat (order of 4-6db or so). Second, as others have pointed out; classical strings are likely to be quieter than anything else we will record in "room recording" environments. So now that you know the mv/pa, and you said the tinybox added 16db of gain, then it's just find the max input of the m10 and your final peak value, that should tell you what your overall SPL peak was at the mic cap.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline bombdiggity

« Reply #265 on: February 24, 2013, 03:10:23 AM »
How much is, and the limitations on what can be indicated in a score is an interesting thing.

It is (and I'm not even a musician).  When Tim Berne's Snakeoil was here they had fairly large sets of charts.  Two of my musician friends took a look at them in between sets and neither could determine what any of it meant...  I think they were sort of like pictures or illustrations (though watching the show they clearly were referring to them - but on the other hand the same song can be 10 minutes one night and 20 minutes the next, so it isn't notation exactly). 

I think a lot of the deeper improv leaders wind up developing their own systems of notation. 

Mary Halvorson said Anthony Braxton's scores are these gigantic color coded things that bear no resemblance to traditional notation but carry a huge amount of information within them.  So to play in his groups you also have to learn how to interpret his system (of notation as well as of music).  Though she also said it's not a literal note by note score but instead a sort of general framework from which the band operates while following each other and his conduction/cues (and improvising). 

It was definitely an adjustment for me when I started going to shows where people were referring to or reading music.  Joel Harrison held an interesting discussion I caught that wound up examining the written/not written and jazz/classical divides.  He was of the opinion it was a different skill set and that the best classical musicians have to spend their time focused on very specific pieces to where they become sort of untouchable on them, whereas the true improvisors don't have that time (or usually the inclination either) to limit their range and so can't play a repertoire the way a classical musician can.  Sight reading itself is also a very specific skill (and a very difficult one that not too many players truly "own"). 

I've finally come to notice that there is a very subtle level of interpretation and intonation in classical music that isn't improvisation but carries some individual personality and sets the performances apart.  But I have to like the repertoire and style to like listening to any given piece (and still don't know enough about it all to always be sure of that in advance).

Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #266 on: June 04, 2013, 11:14:22 AM »
We're finally getting some of the monthly Classical Revolution RVA (http://classicalrevolutionrva.org) performances shared with the public. Here are January and February of this year. More to come. Grayson and I have been evolving our recording techniques and thus the overall consistency improves from month to month. Some of the transitions may be choppy as a few of the performers chose not to have recordings of their performances made public for one reason or another.

January 2013 - https://archive.org/details/classicalrevrva2013-01-20.akg482.tb.m10.flac16

February 2013 - https://archive.org/details/classicalrevrva2013-02-17.dpa4015c.usbpre2.r-44.flac24

Updates to come as I get more of them posted. I'll try to find some pictures of the setups to post as well.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:15:54 AM by Ultfris101 »

Offline bombdiggity

« Reply #267 on: June 04, 2013, 11:46:33 AM »
I've posted a few classical audies (lo-profile) on DIME of late.  I've enjoyed the sets and the sound was good despite the circumstances. 

They're also available archived via a real low res video stream from the venue site so it seems fair game to provide something listenable for any who are interested. 

I'm not really tuned into that scene around town (and wouldn't have time to go to much else) so I go mainly just to broaden my ears/mind and record to be able to listen later. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR

Offline jnorman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #268 on: June 04, 2013, 12:06:55 PM »
i just did some recording of a concert by a local composer in the Mt Angel Abbey Library Auditorium here in oregon.  couple pieces for english horn and piano, fantasy for oboe and piano, and 36 songs for flute, soprano, and piano based on poems by sappho.  here are a couple of them on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t1sumTNtQg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCbUxfhMTBY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMEIwISY8j4

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #269 on: June 04, 2013, 01:53:12 PM »
Thanks for sharing bomb and jnorman. I'll check these out when I have some time at home. Can't listen to audio at work but the video looks great.

jnorman,

Can you share some technical details like mics? Are the ones in the shot all you used or did you have others? And were you running sound into the camera or did you match up later?

One of the regulars at the Classical Revolution gigs who provides piano accompaniment also runs a video camera so I've been contemplating getting with him to start combining video and audio.

On 5/19 Grayson and I ran a stationary pair above, just in front, and roughly centered on the stage (schoeps mk5's)  and then we had a second pair (dpa 4015c) on a short stand we repositioned with each performer. These shows have lots of different instruments and configurations, sometimes a seated guitarist, sometimes a standing violinist, even a harpist so it varies a lot. One pair just isn't enough most of the time. The second pair really helps manage the dynamics.

The harp performance and recording turned out great that night btw. I might put that one up next.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com