Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ADK TLs > UA-5: W or T mod?  (Read 6036 times)

Offline SuperDave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Now that's a mandolin!
Re: ADK TLs > UA-5: W or T mod?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 04:10:01 PM »
I find the TL>Wmod combo to be pretty much perfect, Swampy.  No "lack of bass" there.  I also wouldn't call it "sloppy" either.
I'm gonna go put my spacesuit on boys, then lets get this dirty cocksucker in the air! ...

Open Rig: ADK A-51 TL's > Oade Warm Mod UA-5 > Iriver H120/JB3
Stealth Rig: AT853 > SP-SPSB-10 > Iriver h120

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 04:10:12 PM »
Alex what exactly are you after? what about the low end of the TLs do you really not care for? is there not enough of it? is it lacking some characteristic you desire? is it sloppy or loose sounding?
I don't like the TLs LACK of bass, not sloppy or anything. But my concern is that The T mod will not be no much more bass than the straight digimod, and that the W mod will be too much sloppy bass...
if that's the case than the Brian and others are correct the t-mod probably isn't what you are looking for.

This is the first I've heard about a lack of bass in TLs. In fact I've had people make the exact opposite complaint about some of my recordings. Check this recording to hear the TLs capture some monster bass: http://www.archive.org/details/tlg2006-10-07.adktl.flac16

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007, 04:21:48 PM »
I find the TLs to be a little on the thin bright side, especially for LDs in both taping and the studio. Maybe its because I previously used AKGs...

stirinthesauce

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2007, 04:23:23 PM »
Alex what exactly are you after? what about the low end of the TLs do you really not care for? is there not enough of it? is it lacking some characteristic you desire? is it sloppy or loose sounding?
I don't like the TLs LACK of bass, not sloppy or anything. But my concern is that The T mod will not be no much more bass than the straight digimod, and that the W mod will be too much sloppy bass...

To my ears, and I've run ld's and sd's through the w-mod, the warm mod doesn't add more bass.  It just smooths things out.   Smoother on the top end throughout the mids and lows.  Makes (to my ears) a more pleasant playback experience.  Sloppiness is not a word I would describe the warm mod.  Surprising amount of detail.  I would not compare the sonic characteristics with say an mp-2/sbm-1 combo which is very warm (and extremely pleasing to my ears with the right mics) and at times can seem sloppy.  I actually think the warm mod is a misnomer as it isn't overly warm.  It has it's own distinct coloration, just like any pre.  

I'm sure there are a bunch of sources on the archive with both t mod and w mod paired with ADK's.  Give them a whirl.  

Of course, these are my opinions only.  YMMV  ;)

Offline SuperDave

• Now that's a mandolin!
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2007, 04:30:15 PM »
I agree.  I ran a self-modded digimod before I upgraded to the W-mod.  I wouldn't say it added bass response, but it did smooth it out a bit better.  I also noticed a huge bump in detail when I upgraded.  It was quite a pleasant surprise.     
I'm gonna go put my spacesuit on boys, then lets get this dirty cocksucker in the air! ...

Open Rig: ADK A-51 TL's > Oade Warm Mod UA-5 > Iriver H120/JB3
Stealth Rig: AT853 > SP-SPSB-10 > Iriver h120

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com