Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony XLR-1 Phantom Power  (Read 4023 times)

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Sony XLR-1 Phantom Power
« on: October 31, 2017, 04:04:59 PM »
Okay, I know this device is discontinued and was criticised for being so expensive at the time, but I'm starting this post because I think it must contain some sort of supernatural properties.

Frustrated at the amount of recording time I'm getting with my Sound Devices MixPre-3 and the 8xAA sled I decided to dig out my Sony XLR-1 which takes 4xAA batteries. This unit supplies phantom power only, so I connected it to my Sony PCM-D100 and did some comparisons with my MixPre-3. I couldn't say I preferred the sound of one over the other. But when it comes to battery life there must be some magic involved.

Yesterday I connected two Sennheiser MKH-8040 mics to the XLR-1 and then to a Sony PCM-M10. As of now, after 32 hours recording it is still going strong. In fact I've just changed the batteries on the M10 which itself is well known for its excellent battery life.

Can anybody explain how this is even possible?

Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
Re: Sony XLR-1 Phantom Power
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 05:09:06 PM »
Okay, I know this device is discontinued and was criticised for being so expensive at the time, but I'm starting this post because I think it must contain some sort of supernatural properties.

Frustrated at the amount of recording time I'm getting with my Sound Devices MixPre-3 and the 8xAA sled I decided to dig out my Sony XLR-1 which takes 4xAA batteries. This unit supplies phantom power only, so I connected it to my Sony PCM-D100 and did some comparisons with my MixPre-3. I couldn't say I preferred the sound of one over the other. But when it comes to battery life there must be some magic involved.

Yesterday I connected two Sennheiser MKH-8040 mics to the XLR-1 and then to a Sony PCM-M10. As of now, after 32 hours recording it is still going strong. In fact I've just changed the batteries on the M10 which itself is well known for its excellent battery life.

Can anybody explain how this is even possible?

Voodoo?
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com