Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audacity VST plugins recommendations?  (Read 3805 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Audacity VST plugins recommendations?
« on: June 11, 2006, 04:13:48 AM »
Anyone care to share their list of favorite Audacity VST plugins?  Specifically:

• compressor / limiter - I'm most in need of this plug-in, since the compressor in Audacity doesn't work at all;  already tried MDA Dynamics and MDSP Compressor, neither is workable
  • resample - I can live with Audacity's resample if necessary, or use R8Brain, but I'd like something I can integrate into Audacity if possible
  • dither - I can live with Audacity or MDA's dither if necessary, but I'd like to see if there are any others out there
  • parametric EQ - haven't found a single one that's usable

I've already poked around on the Audacity forums a bit, and didn't find much that works well. 

I know, I could just search Google - and I have.  Two problems with Windows plugins for Audacity:  the VST Enabler doesn't render graphics from the plugins, and it seems all the VST creators use lots of graphics in an attempt to emulate physical gear (knobs, etc.).  As such, very few VST plugins are usable in Audacity on Windows.

For example, the MDA Dynamics doesn't display properly in Audacity's VST enabler v. an app with a more integrated VST interface (like Adobe Audition).  See the attached images (MDAdither-good and -bad.jpg) for a quick visual of the problems:  <a>  numerical settings for each option from 0 to 1 in Audacity, with no indication how those values map to meaningful values like dB word length, dither type, etc., <b> lack of trim control buttons in Audacity which prevents from one adjusting the values at a detail level - the only options are to adjust the numerical value (if you're lucky enough to know what meaningful value it represents) and jump through the slider in steps using the default "distance" between steps.  Ugly.

Other plugins are even worse (see attached MDSPcompressor-good and -bad.jpg).

While I have plans to eventually migrate to Linux, I'm not there yet - so LADSPA plug-ins aren't gonna help me at the moment.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
Re: Audacity VST plugins recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 10:07:01 AM »
check this unit out http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UAD1eExpert/
One of the studios where I freelance out of has this card, and the manley Mu compressor/limiter the manley is $4,000 compressor this card keeps up with it. And the pultech eq is second to none if you go into any mastering studio you see two things, a pultech eq and a manley vari mu compressor. This card does it all. Is it as good as having the real thing NO. But it sure as hell beats anything in its price range. It is more then just a plug in. It has optical compressor circuit built into the card. So your not getting a fake compressor its very real.

Anyone care to share their list of favorite Audacity VST plugins?  Specifically:

• compressor / limiter - I'm most in need of this plug-in, since the compressor in Audacity doesn't work at all;  already tried MDA Dynamics and MDSP Compressor, neither is workable
  • resample - I can live with Audacity's resample if necessary, or use R8Brain, but I'd like something I can integrate into Audacity if possible
  • dither - I can live with Audacity or MDA's dither if necessary, but I'd like to see if there are any others out there

I've already poked around on the Audacity forums a bit, and didn't find much that works well. 

I know, I could just search Google - and I have.  Two problems with Windows plugins for Audacity:  the VST Enabler doesn't render graphics from the plugins, and it seems all the VST creators use lots of graphics in an attempt to emulate physical gear (knobs, etc.).  As such, very few VST plugins are usable in Audacity on Windows.

For example, the MDA Dynamics doesn't display properly in Audacity's VST enabler v. an app with a more integrated VST interface (like Adobe Audition).  See the attached images (MDAdither-good and -bad.jpg) for a quick visual of the problems:  <a>  numerical settings for each option from 0 to 1 in Audacity, with no indication how those values map to meaningful values like dB word length, dither type, etc., <b> lack of trim control buttons in Audacity which prevents from one adjusting the values at a detail level - the only options are to adjust the numerical value (if you're lucky enough to know what meaningful value it represents) and jump through the slider in steps using the default "distance" between steps.  Ugly.

While I have plans to eventually migrate to Linux, I'm not there yet - so LADSPA plug-ins aren't gonna help me at the moment.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 12:24:10 PM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 11:46:25 AM »
You dont like Wavelab or Samplitude, etc, Brian?Or is it the lack of support for those on LINUX that turned you towards Audacity?

A legit copy of samp can be found cheap on ebay, and the update to a current version would only be about 150 bucks. Of course if audacity does all you need it to ,then nevermind. :)

I like all the Voxengo, and Elemental Audio plugs.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 03:08:57 PM »
check this unit out http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UAD1eExpert/

I'm generally happy to pay a few bucks for good tools, but $1k's way out of my pricerange.  I should've indicated I'm thinking more like, uhm...freeware or shareware.  :)

You dont like Wavelab or Samplitude, etc, Brian?Or is it the lack of support for those on LINUX that turned you towards Audacity?

I loathe Wavelab.  I really wanted to like it, because it's speed performance is far superior to Audition, but the UI simply sucks eggs.  I love the Adobe Audition UI, find it an absolute breeze.  But it's speed performance is not so breezey.  It's simply too slow for 24-bit multitrack stuff - slow to open, slow to process, slow to save, etc.  It never bothered me for 16-bit 2-channel, bothered me a little for 24-bit 2-channel, and drives me nuts for 24-bit 4-channel.

And yes, you hit on the real kicker, which I neglected to mention:  I'm wanting something I can run on Linux since I'll eventually make the switch to Linux as my primary desktop OS.  I'd rather not dual boot or keep a separate PC around simply for audio processing.

Of course if audacity does all you need it to ,then nevermind. :)

Audacity -almost- does everything I need.  While it doesn't do everything with the utmost quality, I find it's generally Good Enough.  I'm not especially fond of its dither (wish I could use the iZotope Ozone Megabitmax plugin), but it's acceptable.  It's resampling doesn't sound bad to my ears, so that'll do for now (and besides, I only need resampling for the recordings I distribute to the masses, I'll listen to the full-quality sources).  But I really need a good, functioning compressor.  And I anticipate wanting the parametric EQ as I slowly get more involved in post-production futzing.

I think I really need to fire up Linux and Audacity so I can see if the LADSPA plug-ins are any better (not sure how they could be worse than the VST Enabler).  And I've not explored to see if there are other Linux-compatible audio editors (I'm sure there are), so that's another step in the process, as well.

I like all the Voxengo, and Elemental Audio plugs.

Yeah, I like the Voxengo ones, too.  And they're generally reasonably priced.  But they don't work in Audacity.  I think I've tried some Elemental Audio plugs, too, but can't recall for sure - I'll give 'em a go again, but pretty sure they won't work, either.  Damn Audacity's sucky VST Enabler.

A legit copy of samp can be found cheap on ebay, and the update to a current version would only be about 150 bucks.

Thanks for the feedback, Teddy.  I know you fluff Samplitude regularly, and if I can't find what I need for Audacity (which is looking increasingly likely) in order to make the switch to Linux, I'll definitely give Samplitude a try.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com