Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mp3 players that work on Mac?  (Read 2602 times)

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Mp3 players that work on Mac?
« on: September 18, 2008, 04:09:42 PM »
So I was looking at some players today and most of them only show Window OS on the packaging. I think iPods are too expensive right now. I have had two break on me and don't want to buy another. I don't need a lot of space but I don't want to drop a hundo for a couple of gigs of starage either. I was looking at some units that cost about $50 for a couple of gigs. Then I start to notice packages do not say Mac on them. I actually jsut called Philips about one of thier units. The guy said they won't work on Mac and that a Mac would corrupt its firmware or some shit. Does anyont know any of these cheaper small units that do work on Mac?
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
Re: Mp3 players that work on Mac?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 04:12:28 PM »
So I was looking at some players today and most of them only show Window OS on the packaging. I think iPods are too expensive right now. I have had two break on me and don't want to buy another. I don't need a lot of space but I don't want to drop a hundo for a couple of gigs of starage either. I was looking at some units that cost about $50 for a couple of gigs. Then I start to notice packages do not say Mac on them. I actually jsut called Philips about one of thier units. The guy said they won't work on Mac and that a Mac would corrupt its firmware or some shit. Does anyont know any of these cheaper small units that do work on Mac?

The shuffle is pretty cheap and only 1-2 gig $49/$69 and small and compact.
Peace
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 04:14:16 PM by rowjimmytour »
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 04:37:40 PM »
Ideally I want a LCD. Even a crappy one. I was looking at a little 2gb Philips that even does pics and vid tha was $50 today. I don't need pics or video but I would like an Lcd to see what is what.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 04:40:03 PM »
Clinton, I have bad luck with every mp3 player/mac combo until I decided to suck it up and buy an ipod. ymmv but you may want to just spend the c note and be done with it.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 04:47:57 PM »
Damn. The thing is that I have already burned through two of them. The hard drives die. Maybe a flash based one would last longer. I've been using this tiny old Rio unit. It's only 120mb. I can only fit one or two podcasts on it and certainly not music. I don't needd a jukebox. Just a little bit bucket mostly for podcasts. I keep telling myself "with this gig money l'll get an ipod" then I decide they are a rip off. I was about to drop $50 today on something but now I have this PC only bullshit in my way. The Rio works on both Mac and PC. Just drag and drop an mp3 and it will play it. I want something else like that but at the 1-2gb or better size.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 05:21:21 PM »
I got a refurb ipod mini from justdeals:

http://www.justdeals.com/Apple%20iPods/

I got a 2nd Gen mini for $55, but it looks like they only have 1st gens now.  Also, check the web for details, but it's pretty easy to replace the CFII microdrive in the mini's with a CF card.  I think an 8G card is only about $20 these days.

I upgraded mine to 16gb and upgraded the battery on it at the same time.  Works great!
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 06:01:55 PM »
there is a $90 30 gig ipod in the yard sale, but it looks like people are having a rough time with the seller.  might be worth looking into.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 07:11:36 PM »
Irivers work fine

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 09:23:07 PM »
there is a $90 30 gig ipod in the yard sale, but it looks like people are having a rough time with the seller.  might be worth looking into.

I had talked to him the day he listed it. I was unsure of buying a used unit. I wanted to jump on it but he hadn't been responding lately. Maybe he changed his mind. I went to wallyworld and grabbed a stupid 1 gig SansaClip for $35. It's pretty decent actually. There was a 2gb unit for $50 but it was pink only. I just wanted something a cheap and simple. This one is. If I want to rip a CD and stick it on I can. I mostly use it for Podcast and Audiobooks. I had been using a 128mb thing after my last iPod died. It took aaa batts and that got old quick. This recharges and is nice and small. Thanks for the help! +t's all around!

Offline Əkoostikal

• Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 01:29:17 PM »
I have a couple of "Creative" brand mp3 players that work just fine on my Mac..... one of rthem is a Zen Nano 1gb I got for like $50 and the other is a 4gb I got for around $100 I think. The software they send will NOT work on the Mac but you don' need any of that. Just plug in the unit and it shows up as a USB device and drag and drop your songs. Simple as that....... I think most of the packaging stuff you are seeing is just the included software that comes with those units for making mp3's and whatnot. I was hesitant to buy one too since I had the same feeling it would not work but I got that "Nano" at staples and they told me I could bring it back if it didn't work so I went for it and have been happy ever since.

EDIT: Just found this one.... I may pick it up myself. ZENv+ 4gb. for $59.99 from creative's site. could probably find even cheaper other places. http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=0&subcategory=&product=15306&nav=artwork&WT.cg_n=Campaigns&WT.mc_id=15847

« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 01:35:19 PM by ekoostikal »
BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com