Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Problems with DAW monitors  (Read 6247 times)

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
Re: Problems with DAW monitors
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 10:08:05 AM »
I too am surprised, good to know.   I guess this should emphasize how important room treatments & setup are to a playback system. 

Happy listening. ;D
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 10:12:12 AM »
Finicky sound waves.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 10:45:52 AM »
At first I thought of suggesting that it might be an attentuator that needs cleaning on the tweeter. My MS-802S have this adjustment and if the control hasn't been adjusted up and down in a while the control can be affected by dust or oxidation.

But being in the direct path of the HF source helps. I try to have my tweeters at ear level with the tweeters pointed directly towards my ears. I think that helps keep my perception of L/R balanced.

Distance from the speaker has a big effect. I have one speaker in the middle with a mono feed that I sometimes turn on. Moving that speaker forward or backward can have a dramatic effect upon my perception of loudness coming from the middle.

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 10:52:03 AM »
At first I thought of suggesting that it might be an attentuator that needs cleaning on the tweeter. My MS-802S have this adjustment and if the control hasn't been adjusted up and down in a while the control can be affected by dust or oxidation.

But being in the direct path of the HF source helps. I try to have my tweeters at ear level with the tweeters pointed directly towards my ears. I think that helps keep my perception of L/R balanced.

Distance from the speaker has a big effect. I have one speaker in the middle with a mono feed that I sometimes turn on. Moving that speaker forward or backward can have a dramatic effect upon my perception of loudness coming from the middle.

Yeah, my speakers are only 32" apart, which isn't much. With the spacing so tight, a small change seems to make a big difference.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 01:28:18 PM »
Its amazing just how audible small changes sometimes can be.  Glad you got it figured out.

Apologies again to everyone for my OT evangelizing on the headphone thing.. however, if anyone is actually interested in the specifics of how that 'magic box' does it's thing, here's a free dowload link to the AES paper: http://www.smyth-research.com/articles_files/SVSAES.pdf
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 01:32:12 PM »
Its amazing just how audible small changes sometimes can be.  Glad you got it figured out.

Apologies again to everyone for my OT evangelizing on the headphone thing.. however, if anyone is actually interested in the specifics of how that 'magic box' does it's thing, here's a free dowload link to the AES paper: http://www.smyth-research.com/articles_files/SVSAES.pdf

I read your post and it got me thinking. This is a great idea. One problem I see is that I like to lean in to one or both speakers at various times when I mix. I imagine it's harder to do with the headphones thing.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 03:28:36 PM »
..One problem I see is that I like to lean in to one or both speakers at various times when I mix. I imagine it's harder to do with the headphones thing.

That is more challenging, but can be done.  It's something I've thought about as well, since I like to check off center listening postions to see how the image shifts.  Currently this system dynamically tracks and adjusts for the user's head rotation at a single position (the sweet spot).  As a work around, the user can make mulitple measurement calibrations- one for each of the other locations and manually switch between them, but the switching is not seemlessly controlled by the head tracker.  Technically the developer could use the same interpolation algorithms they use to calculate all the intermediate head rotation positions between the actually measured head angles to 'morph' between those seperate calibration data sets.  It would just take considerably more processing power and a more advanced 3-axis head tracking sytem.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com