Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Going from 5.1 to 7.1  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Corporate hack

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Going from 5.1 to 7.1
« on: February 29, 2008, 09:31:07 AM »
OK, I've decided to transition my listening center over into an integrated high fi experience. 

My current speaker set up is:

B&W 804S in front (2)
B&W 805S in rear (2)
B&W HTM2D in center

Now to add to this what I'd think I'd add would be 2 more 805S to go in the center, but is there a less expensive option?  I'm still trying to understand in a 7.1 setup what's going to be carrying highs, lows, mids, etc.  If I could take a step back to the 700 series which carry the mids really nicely and the highs somewhat nicely that would be nice as it could save me a little cash.

As far as components, I think I'm about to sell my McIntosh units for something with a bit better surround processing ability and some more power on the amp side.  I'm tossing around going over to Rotel for their video processing, but I may end up with Marantz, I'm not sure yet.

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Going from 5.1 to 7.1
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 07:31:11 AM »
OK, I've decided to transition my listening center over into an integrated high fi experience. 

My current speaker set up is:

B&W 804S in front (2)
B&W 805S in rear (2)
B&W HTM2D in center

Now to add to this what I'd think I'd add would be 2 more 805S to go in the center, but is there a less expensive option?  I'm still trying to understand in a 7.1 setup what's going to be carrying highs, lows, mids, etc.  If I could take a step back to the 700 series which carry the mids really nicely and the highs somewhat nicely that would be nice as it could save me a little cash.

As far as components, I think I'm about to sell my McIntosh units for something with a bit better surround processing ability and some more power on the amp side.  I'm tossing around going over to Rotel for their video processing, but I may end up with Marantz, I'm not sure yet.

The new Rotel uses Faroudja correct??  Not sure that will give you the best picture as many prefer Reon, Realta, and ABT scalers.  I have the Onkyo 885 pre/pro ordered for upscale of DVD from 480i to 720P.  It will also be used for DVD-A and SACD since I recently picked up the Pioneer Elite 58AV for 480i/DSD/DVD-A over HDMI 1.2 to the Onkyo, but...... don't like how the processing is global on the Onkyo.  This means that I would have to change from 720P to "through" on the Onkyo when watching Blu-Ray once I upgrade to a 1080P projector.

My order has been in for over a montha and with the Cary Cinema 11a being shown and the new Marantz AV8003 set to come out later in the 2Q, I just might cancel the order for now.  I would look for a unit that will decode all the new audio formats (DTS-HD Master Audio is what I would look for).

Onkyo- $1400
Cary - $3500
Marantz - $3000??
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 07:36:22 AM by scervin »

Offline Corporate hack

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 09:25:57 AM »
Any other thoughts on the use of a lower end b&w to fill out those last two spots in 7.1? 

Also, anyone want to buy my mx-134 and my mc-206? :)

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 04:25:31 PM »
Any other thoughts on the use of a lower end b&w to fill out those last two spots in 7.1? 

Also, anyone want to buy my mx-134 and my mc-206? :)

They would work fine for surround.  Front stage is what needs to be matched. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com