Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Opinions? V2/V3 or Aerco with Neumann setup?  (Read 5384 times)

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
Re: Opinions? V2/V3 or Aerco with Neumann setup?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 08:15:42 AM »
Steve, I have always had a fondness for apogee products.  Lot of haters out there but I really liked the mme pre and a/d stage.  There were times when I ran an oade m148 in front (Jensen transformers) and did not notice a favorable difference.  A little bit tighter in the bottom end maybe, then again the characteristics of the apogee pre was not apparent.  What I like is the very deep, 3d image, extemely large soundstage and the "in your face" presence.  Not the cleanest pre, colored for sure, but in a good way that my ears like.  It just seems to make recordings feel "alive" for lack of a better term.  I sold my mme awhile back and regret it.  I've used it a variety of settings whether out enjoying myself or using it for work.  Oh well, I could buy another but I think I will pick up mmp.  I had a chance to play with one recently and was utterly thrilled.  Could not have been happier. 

As for warm, I sometimes find myself using that word but then thinking what did I really mean. 

As for the Jensen transformers and the aerco, I think that is a great choice.  You definitly have a versatile pre with the size factor, for section, lowpro or  >:D taping.  The apogees are big and cumbersome in the field (big reason I sold mine). 

Good luck in your decision  :)

-Jon

I am with ya Jon. I have really come to prefer the apogee ad stage and the preamps in the mme are not as bad as alot folks say. I am also with you about the grace preamps, fantastic products, but for my tastes I prefer some color in my recordings. I've heard great things about the MMP and almost got one to run infront of the mme but held my inner slut in check. Heh the latest piece I have been thinking about is the portico, silk baby  8)

In regards to the ak50's, while I am not a fan of them in general, the recordings I've heard with the mme in front are quite nice and have made me rethink about getting a set over the last few months, heh. I believe nyctaper runs this setup. Oh and the biggest knock on the mme for me is it's footprint. I never understood the design as I am sure they could have made it a wee bit smaller  ;)
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Opinions? V2/V3 or Aerco with Neumann setup?
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 09:50:40 AM »
Neumann KM100's have always had a sort of laid back quality to them to my ears.  I would avoid the V2 as it adds to that character.  The V3 improved on this quite a bit but I would have to vote for the Aerco as even still it's a bit more open in the high range which seems to lead to this effect.  The Apogee products may actually be a good match with these mics as they do tend towards a more forward feel and somewhat clinical accuracy.  You may find a synergy.

Personally I'll take the Aerco.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com