Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Any Canon HV20/30 users here?  (Read 16080 times)

Offline fanofthemule

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Any Canon HV20/30 users here?
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2009, 01:40:07 PM »
I can't get the M2T files to work with Vegas Movie Studio 8.0 or Pinnacle Studio Ultimate Version 12.  I can capture M2V files with the Pinnacle SUV12 software and author the footage with it, but I need to be able to capture the footage in a format that others can use it without hassle, and it seems like the M2T and M2V files cause a lot of hassles but the mpeg and avi files don't.

Has anyone used software to do these conversions?  The "Ultimate Video Converter" software looks like it would work but I'm not sure if this conversion causes any loss in quality.

http://www.m2vconverter.com/m2tconverter.htm

I forgot to mention my update with this.  I am able to capture the m2t files with hdvsplit and the files are now opening in Vegas Movie Studio 8.0 without a problem.  I am going to render some footage soon to see if I have the same problem mentioned above with Vegas stopping at 96% when rendering an m2t file.  Hopefully this will work, I'm ready to get some of this footage authored  :P
Sony PCM-M10

Fostex FR2LE Busman TMod

Superlux S502 ORTF

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2009, 01:41:22 PM »
@pjdavep- It is best to be able to control shutter speed,iris,gain individually.But on the HV30 you can only lock one item unfortunately.First turn OFF image stabilizer....you may think why would i want to do that?It causes more problems than it's worth so just trust me.So what i do is ALWAYS lock the shutter(TV mode) to 60.To me in auto mode when the shutter drops to 30 imo is unuseable.So you can lock the shutter to 60 and use the one touch joystick to pull up the exposure and leave it open and adjust for the scene.If your wide most likely the singer will be super white...overexposed so lower the exposure until there is no overexposure.You can use the zebra stripes to help with judging,but i honestly don't use them myself.If you shoot alot of outdoor bright daytime stuff than you should get a 3.0 neutral density 43mm filter.Thats only for outdoor bright conditions though.Anyone else have some tips please share.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 02:10:19 PM by beatkilla »

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2009, 02:21:40 PM »
@fanofthemule-

1) Capture .m2t file

2) In Vegas got to >File set project properties to 1440 x1080 60i. apply.

3) Render the untouched .m2t file to video for windows avi.template of 1080 60i Cineform Intermediate.(Why?....because .m2t files contain the GOP and splitting them directly is not adviseable as you'll have totally black sections in your final video.)

4)Use that intermediate for editing the quality is so good you don't need to worry about it.But the file size is very big...instead of about 13gb per hour of .m2t it is about 60gb per hour for intermediate.

5)Decide on final output....render to sd widescreeen after your all done editing.And print back to HDV tape as .mt2.Done! you have both sd and hdv.And you can clear your harddrive space.
The.m2t is just a way to get the info to your computer...you must use the intermediate for any serious editing.Hopefully vegas movie studio has the cineform intermediate....it should.Let me know.

Offline fanofthemule

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2009, 01:11:36 PM »
@fanofthemule-

1) Capture .m2t file

2) In Vegas got to >File set project properties to 1440 x1080 60i. apply.

3) Render the untouched .m2t file to video for windows avi.template of 1080 60i Cineform Intermediate.(Why?....because .m2t files contain the GOP and splitting them directly is not adviseable as you'll have totally black sections in your final video.)

4)Use that intermediate for editing the quality is so good you don't need to worry about it.But the file size is very big...instead of about 13gb per hour of .m2t it is about 60gb per hour for intermediate.

5)Decide on final output....render to sd widescreeen after your all done editing.And print back to HDV tape as .mt2.Done! you have both sd and hdv.And you can clear your harddrive space.
The.m2t is just a way to get the info to your computer...you must use the intermediate for any serious editing.Hopefully vegas movie studio has the cineform intermediate....it should.Let me know.

Thanks for the thorough response.  I'll try this later today and see what questions I have then.
Sony PCM-M10

Fostex FR2LE Busman TMod

Superlux S502 ORTF

Offline BlackLab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2009, 02:13:27 PM »
I am converting to SD then editing - its just faster given the processing power req'd for editing HD. Worse for me as I am dealing w/AVCHD

@fanofthemule,   are you wanting to use standard def or keep it HDV?If HDV than you will have m2t files.How will you deliver ?Bluray?I don't know off hand if movie studio handles hdv or not it should though.Mostly depends on your processor,you need 2.6ghz or better.What i would recommend is capture useing HDVsplit or the internal vegas capture.Render those m2t files to standard def widescreen,do all your edits and than replace the standard def with original m2t files.There are extra steps with HDV footage and you need a very fast computer.

My short term plan is to stick with the SD until the HD / bluray is more affordable.

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong with this process?

*  Capture the m2t file
*  Edit the m2t file
*  Render the final edit to SD widescreen
*  Burn to DVD

Would I just be able to save the final edit and render this to HD when it's more affordable?

Sorry to get off topic, I've done a lot of filming but no editing and need to get this process down.

Offline BlackLab

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2009, 02:15:59 PM »
first screenshot looks like something I shot earleier in the week.
I was surprised it seemed to look darker than what I remembered it being looking at the stage with my own eyes.

Was trying a new HF-20 Canon and cant tell if its was really that dark or if its the cam

I capture in Ulead Video Studio and it captures in mpeg format for HDV (around 12gb per 60min).

I filmed Metallica recently with my new HV20 and it came out excellent. It was stealth but I'm happy with the results. I now can't wait until the summer when I'll film some bands with permission and tripod!!

A HD sample can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6-tBYV0aiw&fmt=22

Some screens:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/Simon_LDT/vlcsnap-11959.png

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2009, 11:36:47 AM »
@pjdavep- It is best to be able to control shutter speed,iris,gain individually.But on the HV30 you can only lock one item unfortunately.First turn OFF image stabilizer....you may think why would i want to do that?It causes more problems than it's worth so just trust me.So what i do is ALWAYS lock the shutter(TV mode) to 60.To me in auto mode when the shutter drops to 30 imo is unuseable.So you can lock the shutter to 60 and use the one touch joystick to pull up the exposure and leave it open and adjust for the scene.If your wide most likely the singer will be super white...overexposed so lower the exposure until there is no overexposure.You can use the zebra stripes to help with judging,but i honestly don't use them myself.If you shoot alot of outdoor bright daytime stuff than you should get a 3.0 neutral density 43mm filter.Thats only for outdoor bright conditions though.Anyone else have some tips please share.

Thanks for the tips.  My show was this past weekend (NIN/JA).  I used Tv mode, locked to 60, and manually changed the exposure.  I didn't do too well with the exposure, as I had a hard time figuring out which way to go with it...little more...little less...etc..  ;D   However, I did use the image stabilizer.  I wasn't using a tripod and my tests at home showed that I couldn't keep my hands still enough to have the stabilizer off.   

Later,
   pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2009, 07:06:45 PM »
first screenshot looks like something I shot earleier in the week.
I was surprised it seemed to look darker than what I remembered it being looking at the stage with my own eyes.

Was trying a new HF-20 Canon and cant tell if its was really that dark or if its the cam

I capture in Ulead Video Studio and it captures in mpeg format for HDV (around 12gb per 60min).

I filmed Metallica recently with my new HV20 and it came out excellent. It was stealth but I'm happy with the results. I now can't wait until the summer when I'll film some bands with permission and tripod!!

A HD sample can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6-tBYV0aiw&fmt=22

Some screens:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/Simon_LDT/vlcsnap-11959.png

Well, the main difference is that a camera will never give you the same results as what your eyes see at a show. Also, if the lighting is low the image will be dark. I guess you manually set the exposure? I set mine really low (-33) using the 'double click trick' on the joystick. I only do that because from that point it doesn't add any gain. The problem then is if a show is poorly lit it WILL be too dark, so when I shoot in those situations I have to add a bit of gain, but the screens I posted above were shot in brilliant light and no gain added by the cam.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline KurtMichaels

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2009, 10:38:27 AM »
HV20 user since July 2007.

But honestly, experience is everything. There is little benefit in asking other people for settings or read stuff on forums. Go shoot stuff and learn from it. The HV20 is a little bulky and heavy, so it's harder to stealth, but that's the only downside imho.
This for example is from a February '09 Tina Turner show:
http://db.etree.org/myshows_detail.php?showid=8097114

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2009, 03:20:18 PM »
The HV20 is a little bulky and heavy, so it's harder to stealth, but that's the only downside imho.

For me, I like a heavy camera for stealthing.  By resting it on my lap and shooting the show, I get a much steadier shot with a heavy cam.  These ultra-modern, super-lightweight cams are much harder to hold steady for me.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline lowlight10

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2009, 04:29:17 PM »
I am trying to capture video from my Canon HV-20 using Sony Vegas 9 Platinum, however, it creates numerous 1 second long files instead of capyuring the whole video in one large file.

is there something wrong with my settings that is causing this?

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2009, 07:33:12 PM »
I am trying to capture video from my Canon HV-20 using Sony Vegas 9 Platinum, however, it creates numerous 1 second long files instead of capyuring the whole video in one large file.

is there something wrong with my settings that is causing this?

Need more info.

Explain the entire process that you're using to include specs for the equipment.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline lowlight10

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2009, 07:45:38 PM »
Need more info.

Explain the entire process that you're using to include specs for the equipment.

do you have either yahoo or gmail IM? if so, maybe we can setup a time and go through the settings with you.

I have connected the HV-20 through firewire and am trying to transfer HDV.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 08:12:53 PM by lowlight10 »

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2009, 08:42:26 AM »
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2009, 02:56:44 PM »
Here's one i shot last week in manual mode with the hv30.Watch the HD version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUsPpGvWIq4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.125 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com