Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Adding new audio to a DVD  (Read 5218 times)

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
Adding new audio to a DVD
« on: March 20, 2006, 09:43:55 PM »
I have a nice copy of an Old and in the Gray on DVD but it has crappy cam audio.  I just found the sole SBD audio source and want to re-author the DVD.  I figured out that I could rip the audio off the DVD using DVD Decrypter and use a Wavelab montage to sync up the old audio with the new audio, trim and render. 

My question is what is the best way to get the video off of the DVD?  Isn't DVD audio already compressed?  Should I just rip it off in MPEG2 and then use something like Vegas or tmpegenc to mux the two back together? 

I know that this is a little bit of re-hash because I searched and found a couple of links.  I could use a good workflow though.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Adding new audio to a DVD
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 11:30:26 PM »
Kk...was that the ITown show?  I have a board of that one..... :bigsmile:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 12:23:59 AM »
Wow, listening back....those guys really smoked.  Sure miss ol' Vasser.  :'(

Your DVD will be one for all time, for sure.....good luck Kk  8)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 07:20:34 PM »
I have a nice copy of an Old and in the Gray on DVD but it has crappy cam audio.  I just found the sole SBD audio source and want to re-author the DVD.  I figured out that I could rip the audio off the DVD using DVD Decrypter and use a Wavelab montage to sync up the old audio with the new audio, trim and render. 

My question is what is the best way to get the video off of the DVD?  Isn't DVD audio already compressed?  Should I just rip it off in MPEG2 and then use something like Vegas or tmpegenc to mux the two back together? 

I know that this is a little bit of re-hash because I searched and found a couple of links.  I could use a good workflow though.

This is very tricky business.  Reason being - you can virtually guarantee the video and new audio source will not be the same speed - meaning that the synch is never more than one frame (1/30th of a second) off.

If you want to keep the original video - it's a very simple process: just demux it from the DVD using DVD Decrypter (mode = ifo, in the "input" box, highlight the file, click on "stream processing," declick the audio box, click on the video portion and highlight it, and then click the "demux" box at the bottom).  If you're positive they are in synch, you can drop them in TMPGenc or a "smart mpeg editor" and mux them.

If you need to get them in synch... I don't know of any NLEs (such as Vegas) that will accept mpeg2 files, so you're probably stuck with using a "smart mpeg editor" such as Womble.  It's a great program, but smart mpeg editors can really be hard to work with for such things because you have to be so precise (within 1/30th of a second) with the synching - and these programs are not good for doing this (hard to explain why - but if you try using one - you'll know what I mean).  And in this case, you're probably not going to be working with video and audio that are the same speed.

My recomendation - do an analog capture of the DVD using your DVD player to capture the video to your harddrive.  Yes - it will require re-encoding and a slight loss in video quality.  But the only way you really have a chance at getting this video and audio to match up is by doing it in an NLE like Vegas.

Capture the video and audio from the DVD to the HD.  Drop the SB audio on a second audio line.  Compare the differences in audio lengths between the two (you might want to do this one song at a time), right click on the SB audio track, in the "time stretch/pitch shift" method box click "classic," enter in the new length for the SB audio, and click OK.  You'll have to tinker with it, but you should be able to get it in synch.  You might have to do some "micro splices" of one frame here and there to really get it matched up perfectly.

Lastly - don't assume the cam audio is perfectly in synch with the video.  It all depends on how far the cam was from the sound source.  If it was far away, it will be out of synch also.  So the key is to make sure the SB actually matches with the video.  But of course, the cam audio will be very close (if not perfect), so it will always be a great guide.

Good luck.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline guitard

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 01:38:38 AM »
Well, it appears that the cam audio is in perfect sync with the video.  I demuxed the audio from the video using DVD Decrypter.  The cam audio is one long track at 16/48.  I resampled it to 16/44.1.  I EAC'd the first CD into individual tracks and began to line them all up in a montage against the AUD track.  When I rendered it I was going to trim off the beginning and end of the SBD to fit the AUD length EXACTLY and MUTE the AUD so that I basically had SBD audio the exact same length of the old cam audio file.  I was hopeing that I could just chuck the old cam audio file and mux together the SBD audio file with the muxed video file and go from there.  My problem is that the muxed video file from DVD Decrypter is VOB files and not MPEG.  I suppose that I cam use IMTOO or Smartripper, but then I could almost guarantee that my sources will go our of sync.  I do not have a capture card or I could try your method.  Man, I think that I bit off more than I can chew, or have the time to chew.  Ugh...

+T for your knowledgable reply.
What program(s) did you use for each step described above?  The reason I ask is because you shouldn't have difficulty muxing the video and audio and creating an mpeg2 that doesn't include the original audio.

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline shruggy1987

• Taperssection Member
  • Team Ithaca
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 09:20:04 AM »
something like DVD-Architect would be helpful.  i use it and its great for combining a lot of stuff from various sources.
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 (coax out) > M-Audio Microtrack
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 > MacBook Pro

Offline guitard

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 11:07:35 PM »
I cannot get TmpgEnc to mux an mpeg2 file with a PCM wav file.

You can do this with Womble MPEG Editor.  PM me if you need assistance.

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 03:54:42 PM »
IFOEdit will mux the PCM file with the MPEG-2 video file. it's freeware and very easy to use.

as for ripping and getting an MPEG-2 file, DVDDecrypter will do the trick as well... i'd suggest setting its options (for this one instance) to rip as one large file (no file breaks), and simply click on the *stream processing* tab, select only the MPEG-2 video.

then use your newly created audio track + MPEG-2 video, mux them in IFOEdit. also, if the original DVD has correct chapter points, then you can grab the chapter point info using IFOEdit as well... and use it for your DVD with new audio.

spearheadtaper

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 01:37:44 AM »
you can simply cap the dvd on your camcorder to mini dv....the capture it in your authouring program and sync up....... the quality loss is not going to be anything the human eye can even notice....

Offline guitard

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 04:26:38 AM »

guitard: if you could give me a workflow for adding chapters in Womble that'd be great.  I would like to be prepared if the mpg2 mux works OK.  I would want to add a menu and chapters.

+T's around...
Womble doesn't have a chapter function - it just writes the mpeg files.

The chapter function in most authoring programs is kind of a pain in the ass, so I usually determine where the chapter points need to go using Womble (or the original DVD if it had them), write down the times, and then add them in when authoring.  It saves a lot of time.

you can simply cap the dvd on your camcorder to mini dv....the capture it in your authouring program and sync up....... the quality loss is not going to be anything the human eye can even notice....
So if it's a two hour show... that's two hours to record it to mini-DV, two hours to capture it to the HD, and probably 3-4 hours to encode it.  So it's 7-8 hours versus Womble, which will write a new synched up mpeg file in around 20 minutes. 

If you haven't tried Womble, you should give it a shot.  It's very convenient and easy to use - and it saves loads of time for projects like this.

Offline guitard

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 06:10:48 AM »
Womble kicked out a mpg2 file that I used in DVD Santa but either DVD Santa or Womble keeps re-sampling my audio. 

I ended up using the m2v file that decrypter spit out along with my montaged pcm file and DVD-Lab rocked out a VERY NICE quality DVD.  A little tweaking with decrypter to get it to spit out the DVD-Lab chapter info and I will make it into one with chapters. 

Look for a torrent coming soon to a BT site near you...
Before writing the mpeg in Womble, did you click on LPCM?  I am not familiar with DVD Santa, so I can't say whether there is a setting in there that you need to mess with.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com