Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DV noob questions  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Rusty M

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Private Profits, Socialized Losses
DV noob questions
« on: April 10, 2006, 12:16:26 PM »
I have some questions about miniDV cams and NLE.  I need to start videotaping some local arts and culture stuff as part of a volunteer position.  The first events will be a free outdoor jazz concert series.  I've been concert taping (audio only) for appox. 8 years, but have done little the past 3-4.  I am familiar with transferring DAT --> hard drive --> editing --> disc with respect to audio but have no video experience.  So I do not consider myself a complete noob and am a quick learner, but I am starting from scratch in terms of video and realize it is more challenging,

can you offer recommendations on the following:

1) good beginner/intermediate NLE software

2) secondary miniDV cam w/ widescreen capability- some of this work will require me setting two cams - I will operate one and the other I will set and leave for the event.  After reading some recommendations on this site, I am planning to pick up a panasonic gs400 as my primary cam.  I was hoping to pick up something less costly for the secondary cam.  Is this a bad idea?  I realize that editing footage from two cameras with a difference in image quality may not look that great, but will it look terrible?

3) can I use one of my concert mics with the GS400 if I supply a phantom power source and use a mini adapter?  any perils to this?  Or am I better off just running my concert rig separately and then editing it together later?

4) any print, web, or other resources you can suggest to get me started.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this stuff
One shortcut to all this BS is simply to let anyone buy into the Medacare Program for $300 a month. 

Medacare is already set up, already has covered surgeries and procedures, and other than allowing Medacare to bargain collectively with Drug Companies, it is an off the shelf program.

exactly, so why do we need a new bill?

Offline Rusty M

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Private Profits, Socialized Losses
Re: DV noob questions
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 12:19:27 PM »
also, I will be doing some work in moderately low-light environments.
One shortcut to all this BS is simply to let anyone buy into the Medacare Program for $300 a month. 

Medacare is already set up, already has covered surgeries and procedures, and other than allowing Medacare to bargain collectively with Drug Companies, it is an off the shelf program.

exactly, so why do we need a new bill?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com