Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: "How to film a live concert video" guide - Part 3, Video Production up!  (Read 10017 times)

Offline John Kary

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
November 26, 2007: Part 3 - Video Production is now available!

Capturing great quality video at a concert is more difficult than setting up a camera wherever you can find space and shooting. You have to navigate around the sea of people, find safe spots to setup your cameras and keep the drunk guy without his shirt on from spilling his beer on you after telling you how nice your camera is.

As has been our mantra thus far, Part 3 of this guide on How to Film Concerts will be about planning the video portion of your shoot. I will be going over how to decide where to place your cameras, which cameras I recommend you use and general tips for making the video portion of your shoot go smoothly.

---------------

Part 1, Overview & Preparing for the show
Part 2, Audio Production

Part 3, Video Production
Part 4, Shooting the show
Part 5, Post Production
Part 6, Exporting & Delivery

---------------

Please note, this is NOT a guide on how to do bootleg videos. This guide will assume you are pursuing all the necessary channels to legitimately and legally shoot and record the show you have planned.

This series will consist of 6-parts, with a new part posted about every week. I plan to cover everything from pre-production through post-production, with emphasis on planning the production aspects so everything goes smoothly on your shooting day.

I will answer such questions as:

How do I even get started filming a concert?
How do I gather a crew to operate cameras and run audio?
What is some of the best gear to use on a budget and still produce great results?
What details need to be hammered out before I even pickup my camera?
What should I do at the show to make sure it goes smoothly?

Comments and suggestions are welcome here on in the comments on the site!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 01:24:27 PM by kukyfrope »

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: "How to pull off taping a live concert video" guide
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 02:04:12 PM »
nice!
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline PG

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 02:04:38 PM »
I suggest you don't make a blog about stealthing video unless you want all your tricks to be known to venue security. But if its for legit fliming with permission of the band I think you have a good resource.

Offline John Kary

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 02:16:03 PM »
I suggest you don't make a blog about stealthing video unless you want all your tricks to be known to venue security. But if its for legit fliming with permission of the band I think you have a good resource.
Haha, I stopped stealthing years ago :)  This guide is about how to produce a permission-based show.

Offline macacopowa

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Barcelona Projecte Musical
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 02:25:40 PM »
good idea +T for you
respectable rig:
Neumann km184 > Hi Ho Silver Clad Cables thegreatgumbino style> SD722

stealth way
CMC-8>3wire bb>R1/ ihp120

recordings on LMAhttp://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danimacaco

http://myspace.com/musickapes       http://db.etree.org/macacopowa

Offline fanofthemule

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 03:07:53 PM »
This looks very good, nice job putting it together.  The only part I didn't care for was the part stating "To pull off a live show properly, you can’t do it by yourself".  I disagree and think it could discourage some people from trying.  I've pulled plenty of two camera video productions that I think look good enough to say it was done properly. 
Sony PCM-M10

Fostex FR2LE Busman TMod

Superlux S502 ORTF

Offline Josh P

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 03:15:52 PM »
very cool!

This looks very good, nice job putting it together.  The only part I didn't care for was the part stating "To pull off a live show properly, you can’t do it by yourself".  I disagree and think it could discourage some people from trying.  I've pulled plenty of two camera video productions that I think look good enough to say it was done properly. 

heh, it just more of a headache if you do it by yourself.  Not that I'm complaining!  ;)

Offline John Kary

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 03:19:48 PM »
Good point, as most of us have done productions by ourselves before.  I think what I was getting at was eluding to how I said earlier this would be about doing 5 camera angles with a board and mic feed.  You can't run 5 cameras at a time :)  Point taken, though, and I changed a bit of the wording to reflect it.

Offline John Kary

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 10:41:41 PM »
Part 2 is now available!

Offline John Kary

• Taperssection Regular
Re: "How to film a live concert video" guide - Part 3, Video Production up!
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 01:25:28 PM »
Part 3 is now available.  Be sure to check it for which cameras I can recommend you use, and how to setup proper coverage for a multi-cam setup.

Offline davefrr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 04:10:35 PM »
Thank you very much

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 09:50:40 AM »
I would say a two camera mix can be done by one person easily.  Set up one static camera and use one for close up shots.  Or set up two static shots on the sides covering equal amounts, although I don't think this would look as nice.  If you're going with three or more you're definitely going to need help. 

I haven't had the chance to do a concert but I do other events all the time.  I regularly film church services with three staitc cameras on the sides and the middle.  I just did a wedding a couple weeks ago that I'm extremely pleased with.  I had one camera set up as a static back shot and my wife and me on either side of the front.  We were each able to capture nice clear shots from each side and it worked out nicely.  For the reception we each had one camera and were able to cover all the main things like dances and cake cutting from two sides so we never missed anything. 

I wish I had the chance to film some live music but there are only a couple bands I would want to go through any trouble to see live and they are not touring and don't come anywhere near where I live.

Offline John Kary

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 01:22:52 PM »
I'm not saying a multi-cam event can't be done with a small amount of people, but not having a person manning a camera (at least watching it) leaves a lot up to chance.  If you ever get a piece of equipment stolen, damaged, or moved because somebody wasn't watching it, it could mean any number of bad things for you and the production.

Church services are more of a controlled environment where most of the action takes place in one area.  Part of a concert is capturing the kinetic motion of the music and showmanship through camera moves.  Cutting between a bunch of static cameras just wouldn't suffice for a concert.

It may be ok for other circumstances... even the Beastie Boys did it with their music video for "3 MCs and 1 DJ" cutting between 4 camera angles and it came out great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjr3iqfG_3w

Offline tfs8271

• Needs to get out more...
  • Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 09:38:27 AM »
Good stuff here. Thanks +t
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 09:16:49 PM »
Cutting between a bunch of static cameras just wouldn't suffice for a concert.
I do the occasional two or three cam shot by myself.

A big part of it, of course, is properly positioning the static cams.  You can almost never go wrong with a nice full stage shot from the center-back area of a club/venue.  If you're lucky, the soundboard is located there and you can get the soundman's permission to set up a cam in or near his area.  The beauty of one of these shots is that you can almost always cut to that angle and capture what's happening on stage, so if you are moving around with the mobile cam and don't always have a good shot - no problem - because you've always got that nice, full stage shot to cut do.

For a second static cam, I like to set it up on the far left side of the stage, as close to the edge of the stage as you can get, and point it so that it's looking down the row of mic stands such that you can get a nice shot of everyone while they're standing at the mic stands singing.  As most guitarists are right handed players, you'll also be able to get some nice shots of the guitar playing from this angle, as right handed players will naturally have their guitars angled slightly such that the cam will be able to pick up their guitar playing.

For the third cam, I work it from in front of the stage.

Also, you don't *have* to always show a static shot coming from the static cams.  When mixing the footage, you can crop and/or rotate the pic a bit - and then have the picture slowly move back to its original full frame.  Or you can do just the opposite.  If you don't over do it, this adds a nice touch to those static angles and gives the appearance that someone is actually working the camera.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 09:18:48 PM by guitard »
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com