Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice Needed  (Read 3037 times)

Offline livejamz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Advice Needed
« on: December 02, 2008, 03:31:51 PM »
So I am starting to tape again. I have been running video and is working out great. I have my son who is wanting to get into running audio. I have a Minidisc recorder that I used a couple years ago. Wanted some suggestion if to try and use it  or look at picking up something else. Don't have  allot of money to spend.

Offline rhinowing

• Needs to get out more...
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
Re: Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 04:01:12 PM »
if you already have mics, look for a rockboxed iriver on ebay
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 04:27:38 PM »
if you give a price of how much you are willing/able to spend, pointed advice will be much easier to give.
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 04:37:49 PM »
Open taping, or "not so open" taping??? 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline livejamz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 04:50:54 PM »
Around $500 stealth taping

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 03:12:01 AM »
r-09hr
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline 69mako

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 04:07:58 AM »
http://db.etree.org/69mako

007: Church Audio CA-14c -> Church Audio St-9100 preamp -> R-09HR

Open: Busman BSC1 mics (X2) -> Hydra Cables (X2) -> Tmod R4

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 07:57:34 AM »
My 2 cents worth... if you don't have a decent set of mics, get a decent set of mics, because that's where the majority of your sound quality is determined.   It's natural to focus on the recorder because that is what the touch and handle, but the mics are where the sound gets captured.

R09HR is a good recorder, but that eats up at least half your budget, and the temptation is to to skimp on mics after that, just make sure you don't skimp on mics.  A friend of mine has been making great tapes with some Church Audio cards, running mic-in to the R09HR.  If you get CA-11 mics with cardioid and omni caps, and an R09HR you should be within your budget.  That combo seems to have decent synergy.

But, don't be afraid to blow your whole budget on good mics (like DPA4061) and run that into your minidisc.  The minidisc may be old technology, but it's not junk.  Some of them have very good preamps, and it's better to have clear music at 16bit, than crappy noise at 24 bit.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 10:52:33 AM »
Get good mics before you want to buy a recorder. I owned a pair of giant squid omni and card mics and i though they were PERFECT...until I heard other microphones.

take a look at this post. Mic Suggestion for R09HR

Usually consider the mics first as THE most important to what you want to record,  and NOT which mic best fits a recorder.

Usual rule of thumb:

Mics = 90-95% importance to recorded result
Preamp = 2.5-5% importance
Deck's A/D = 2.5% of audible result

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 11:39:32 AM »
Mics are vital and I agree with the post about spending a lot on them now and using the MD.  Then when you can afford it, go to a solid state recorder.

I have 4 pairs of mics and 4 decks. I still haven't made up my mind yet.  :P
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 04:17:47 PM »
One thing to consider with your recorder also is whether or not you want to record for yourself, or to share in torrents. I know a few of the bigger torrent hosting sites do not allow minidisc sourced shows to be posted anymore. I agree that your mics should be where you sink most of your budget, but a R-09, iriver, or some similar flash recorder would be a next important second option once you decide on your mics. Nevaton MCE400's are great sounding omni mics if you want to look into that option. I like them better than DPA's or most of the small mics available right now. TNJazz is a dealer for them if you want to find out more.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

nameloc01

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 03:12:33 PM »
*They do not allow standard LOSSY (compressed) MD recordings to be torrented...HIMD/PCM'd stuff is fine.

What do you have? An old Sony or Sharp? Get a decent set of mics and power supply and just use the MD deck if you are recording for yourself,..if you plan on torrenting shows, you're gonna have to use a deck that records in a lossless manner.
A decent set of mics and a standard MD deck is *quite* capable of producing nice recordings.

stevetoney

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 04:41:35 PM »
Get good mics before you want to buy a recorder. I owned a pair of giant squid omni and card mics and i though they were PERFECT...until I heard other microphones.

take a look at this post. Mic Suggestion for R09HR

Usually consider the mics first as THE most important to what you want to record,  and NOT which mic best fits a recorder.

Usual rule of thumb:

Mics = 90-95% importance to recorded result
Preamp = 2.5-5% importance
Deck's A/D = 2.5% of audible result

While I generally agree with what everyone is saying, I think this rule of thumb is kinda bogus just because I think the preamp has more to say about the sound than this. 

For example, put an Aerco or Mini-MP (my two favorites) behind any microphone and I am confident that you'd conclude your sound has improved significantly more than 5% over the sound you'd get with the cheapest preamp.

(AT-853s are a good example...lots of battery box samples on LMA, but there's also some Aerco backed 853 recordings that completely smoke the BB recordings IMHO.)

Having said this, good microphone placement isn't included, but it accounts for more than 50% of the sound.  For example, I think that lousy mics with marginal equipment, but with the mics located in the best location sound much better than the best rig money can buy (mics, preamps, AND recorder) in the worst location.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 04:45:58 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 04:51:58 PM »
*They do not allow standard LOSSY (compressed) MD recordings to be torrented...HIMD/PCM'd stuff is fine.

What do you have? An old Sony or Sharp? Get a decent set of mics and power supply and just use the MD deck if you are recording for yourself,..if you plan on torrenting shows, you're gonna have to use a deck that records in a lossless manner.
A decent set of mics and a standard MD deck is *quite* capable of producing nice recordings.

I agree the old md decks were nice and if you dont have alot of cash its better to stay with the md and buy a set of mics and at least a battery box.  And it would be better if you purchased them from me.... just kidding.... but really check out my loaner thread and borrow a pair of my mics try them. There are also some good deals on some nice used mics in the yardsale AT 853 with a battery box is a good mic there is somebody selling a really nice battery box for $35 in the yardsale. I think you can if you want also pickup a good used R09  for around $200 if you look around here.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com