Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transferring old Minidiscs to PC... sound is fast  (Read 1967 times)

Offline emalvido

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Transferring old Minidiscs to PC... sound is fast
« on: September 02, 2023, 03:24:00 AM »
Hello:
Have to transfer some old Minidiscs to PC
My setup: MDSJE520>ICUSBAUDIO7D>DELL G3
Tne old Minidisc are in SP mode, Im using the toslink out signal connected to the ICUSBAUDIO7D then via USB to the DELL G3 running windows 10
Used audacity, the transfered file, audio is a little bit too fast.
Tried different samples and rates, cannot find the right one.
help please

p.s.
I have installed VM that has windows 7 if that helps

for those of that dont know this one:
https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-adapters/icusbaudio7d

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Transferring old Minidiscs to PC... sound is fast
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2023, 11:26:31 AM »
I don't know that setup, but the symptom is classic for the wrong sample rate.

Your link to the USB interface states that the S/PDIF input only works at 48kHz (oddly), so my guess is that your Minidisc output is 44.1kHz. I don't know if there is a way around that other than a different interface where you can select the right sample rate.

Offline emalvido

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2023, 05:46:37 PM »
Hello:
Thanks for writting, Yes, correct USB interface states that the S/PDIF input only works at 48kHz, havent noticed that.

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2023, 10:59:01 PM »
I don't know that setup, but the symptom is classic for the wrong sample rate.

Your link to the USB interface states that the S/PDIF input only works at 48kHz (oddly), so my guess is that your Minidisc output is 44.1kHz. I don't know if there is a way around that other than a different interface where you can select the right sample rate.

If that's the problem, seems like it would be an easy fix.  Just use the speed/pitch change function at the ratio of 44.1/48.  Any reason that wouldn't work?

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2023, 04:06:04 PM »
Yeah, you would need to find an audio program that instead of converting, you would want to interpret the sample rate to 44.1. That should help your speed issues.

In Adobe Audition. You are able to do this.

See attached file.
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2023, 08:25:04 PM »
It's been years since I dealt with transferring minidiscs. Attached is the SONY Sonic Stage installer. It's what I used all the time but that was on windows XP and 7. I also still have the SONY WAV converter but don't recall if you needed it in conjunction with Sonic Stage

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2023, 10:52:19 PM »
I use an obsolete DR-680 for transfers, because it can pretty much match any bit rate. 

Alternatively, just go analog to the computer or DR-680.  I bet you will not be able to tell the difference with your ears. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline loughney

• Taperssection Member
    • YouTube show clips
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2023, 10:53:14 AM »
Yeah, you would need to find an audio program that instead of converting, you would want to interpret the sample rate to 44.1. That should help your speed issues.

See attached file.
Audacity has a function to change the frequency without conversion. Right click on the left side of the audio file, and it brings up the frequency selector.

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2023, 01:06:32 PM »
It's been years since I dealt with transferring minidiscs. Attached is the SONY Sonic Stage installer. It's what I used all the time but that was on windows XP and 7. I also still have the SONY WAV converter but don't recall if you needed it in conjunction with Sonic Stage

Only works if you have the NetMD. Realistically, it was the final minidisc model RH1 that finally threw away all the extra copy protection BS, and let you do a straight digital transfer from any minidisc type (SP, LP2, LP4, HI-MD, etc.). Then does the ATRAC decompression on the computer. Big reason I kept mine.

OP looks to have a MD deck with a spdif output. MD only records at 44.1khz, so I echo the rest of the folks comments here about a sample rate mismatch.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2023, 05:48:35 PM »

See attached file.
Audacity has a function to change the frequency without conversion. Right click on the left side of the audio file, and it brings up the frequency selector.

There is a way to do this in most editors, and should be simple to execute as long as you can locate the function used to do it. IMO this is the way to go if you have already transferred a bunch of stuff.  The bits representing the audio content are not altered by doing this, only the header (or wherever the clock rate of the recording is stored, which I presume is in the file header), so as long as the bits transferred correctly via the toslink connection chain without error originally, you won't have to re-transfer anything.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com