Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Splitting a wav ( for an old goat )  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Mandoborg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Splitting a wav ( for an old goat )
« on: November 13, 2023, 07:29:01 PM »
Hey folks, I'm probably in waaaaay over my head but thought I'd ask anyway ! I'm an old school dinosaur analog taper that just bought a cheap Zoom H2N to mess around with. I recorded a couple shows last week and be damned if this little thing doesn't sound pretty damn good !! Nice not having to worry about cassette flips on the old D6 for sure ! But now I just have several long wav's of an hour +. A co-worker told me about Audacity, I loaded it, and for a 56 year old hippy, it just looks like Greek to me !  I can barely email !! Is there a program for dummies that is stupid simple to somehow put index points ( for lack of a better term ) so that I can burn these shows to cd ???

Thanks from an old goat !!!!

Jim

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
Re: Splitting a wav ( for an old goat )
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 08:43:13 PM »
CDWave is by far the easiest way to split wav files. It is no longer being developed, but works at least to Win 10.
http://www.milosoftware.com/en/index.php?body=cdwave.php

That will not get you fade in or outs though. For that you will need some kind of editor, like Audacity, or a DAW, like Reaper. I find Reaper simple, but it did take me a while to figure out how much of it I could ignore starting out. I was working on a project with 6 tracks and over 12 hrs long the other day, a whole day at a festival. I can easily render out the parts I want and even send clips to Rx and back with a couple clicks. Audacity is popular and plenty here can give you tips for starting out. It is probably less overwhelming than Reaper at first.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline loughney

• Taperssection Member
    • YouTube show clips
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 12:09:50 AM »
CDWave is by far the easiest way to split wav files. It is no longer being developed, but works at least to Win 10.
http://www.milosoftware.com/en/index.php?body=cdwave.php

That will not get you fade in or outs though. For that you will need some kind of editor, like Audacity, or a DAW, like Reaper. I find Reaper simple, but it did take me a while to figure out how much of it I could ignore starting out. I was working on a project with 6 tracks and over 12 hrs long the other day, a whole day at a festival. I can easily render out the parts I want and even send clips to Rx and back with a couple clicks. Audacity is popular and plenty here can give you tips for starting out. It is probably less overwhelming than Reaper at first.
I second CDWAVE for splitting. It is fast and easy to split. It even has an autosplit feature that will suggest where to split. You can also then save your split WAV files as FLAC files as well.

Offline Mandoborg

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 05:13:29 PM »
Thank you for the recommendation on cdwav ! I just installed it and it looks a lot simpler !! However, and I'm going to feel stupid asking this, but it doesn't allow me to import audio off a thumb drive ?? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but all i see is importing wav files off a cd. I took the files off the Zoom and dropped them on a thumb drive.... This program looks waaay simpler than audacity to me. There's hope for an old goat after all !!!    :lol:

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 05:30:16 PM »
Just drag and drop.

Offline Mandoborg

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 08:21:28 PM »
VICTORY !!!
I'm in.... Now to have some fun....with a little side of aggravation as well i'm sure !!!  THANK YOU !!!
 :cheers:

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2023, 06:14:28 PM »
After you save a cue sheet, you open it all back up again by just loading the cue sheet. It will ask if you also want to load the associated file, then just click yes. This very handy when you multiple sources from the same deck. Then you can click no and add the alternate source. Tracking for that one done.

Offline Mandoborg

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2023, 06:32:09 AM »
All set !!!  Incredibly easy once I sat down and spent some time with it. Great tip on saving the cue sheet !! I didn't do that for first set of this show I'm working on and was confused why it wouldn't save all my splits !!!  Just didn't understand the wording !! :banging head:

Thank you so much for the tips and help !!!  Wasn't near as hard as I thought it was going to be !!!!

Jim

Offline loughney

• Taperssection Member
    • YouTube show clips
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2023, 10:21:48 AM »
After you save a cue sheet, you open it all back up again by just loading the cue sheet. It will ask if you also want to load the associated file, then just click yes. This very handy when you multiple sources from the same deck. Then you can click no and add the alternate source. Tracking for that one done.
Pro-tip - I've done audience & sbd recordings on different decks. When I make a matrix of them, I make sure I save the individual souce files that I have aligned.  Then I can use the same CUE file for the SBD, AUD and Matrix files.

Offline loughney

• Taperssection Member
    • YouTube show clips
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2023, 10:23:16 AM »
All set !!!  Incredibly easy once I sat down and spent some time with it. Great tip on saving the cue sheet !! I didn't do that for first set of this show I'm working on and was confused why it wouldn't save all my splits !!!  Just didn't understand the wording !! :banging head:

Thank you so much for the tips and help !!!  Wasn't near as hard as I thought it was going to be !!!!

Jim
Just telliing my sister (after explaining how to do something on her iPhone). She said "Oh, so easy" and I said most things are easy once you know how to do it, it is finding out how to do something is the hard part!   

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2023, 04:57:15 PM »
Yes, but using different decks also means stretching one of the sources. With them being from the same deck, it is just a matter of making one offset. When working festivals, I do not bother with the offset, since I am not making a matrix, it is close enough. There is only so much you can do in 1/2 hour. 

Pro-tip - I've done audience & sbd recordings on different decks. When I make a matrix of them, I make sure I save the individual souce files that I have aligned.  Then I can use the same CUE file for the SBD, AUD and Matrix files.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2023, 11:02:41 AM »
See my post on new the latest version of Audacity regarding 'Stretch Feature'

I've used CDWave for decades, and can endorse it
I think it no longer requires a license, donations appreciated.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com