Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sunn 0))) - Need Bass Roll off?  (Read 7089 times)

Offline spaceman.project

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sunn 0))) - Need Bass Roll off?
« on: August 11, 2012, 12:07:04 PM »
Hey team, 

Recording some metal in a smallish club tonight.  Sunn 0))) is headlining and am wondering about bass roll off.  If you don't listen to them, they are primarily all low droney tones and extremely loud. I am wondering if I should use Bass roll off or work on it in post...

I use CA-11 Cardiod mics and have SPSB-11 w/ roll off and also a CA-BB 9v (never used).  Any suggestions?

thanks

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Sunn 0))) - Need Bass Roll off?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 12:25:58 PM »
Hey team, 

Recording some metal in a smallish club tonight.  Sunn 0))) is headlining and am wondering about bass roll off.  If you don't listen to them, they are primarily all low droney tones and extremely loud. I am wondering if I should use Bass roll off or work on it in post...

I use CA-11 Cardiod mics and have SPSB-11 w/ roll off and also a CA-BB 9v (never used).  Any suggestions?

thanks

Unless their tones are exponentially louder the deeper they go, to get anything above about 110hz to be reduced without killing the sub 70hz band, you'll have to do it after the fact and just run your levels lower.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline spaceman.project

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 03:12:17 PM »
Thanks for quick response and the advice...

... maybe two sets of earplugs....

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 04:23:27 PM »
Yeah, do it in post. Have fun, they put on a killer show.

Offline rhinowing

• Trade Count: (0)
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 08:09:42 PM »

try six...unbelievably loud band. killer show.
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 03:32:29 AM »
Since you run cardioid mics, I wouldn't even bother about a bass roll-off filter.
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline SxPxDxCx

• THATSTHETHINGABOUTTHAT.blogspot
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 10:39:26 AM »
Great picture!!!
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Denis Diderot:

MBHO KA 500 / KA 200N > Naiant IPAs / JKLabs > PCM-M10
AT933 C >SP-SPSB-1 > PCM-M10

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 07:54:51 PM »
was this the show at the echo?
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline spaceman.project

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 11:30:04 PM »
was this the show at the echo?

Yea, the Echoplex (downstairs), but yea... Power of the Riff..  Lots of metal... good stuff

Since you run cardioid mics, I wouldn't even bother about a bass roll-off filter.

I have been making this mistake, and others in my taping ignorance and infancy, but have moved on to just the CA - Ugly BB..  What is the argument to move to an adjustable Preamp?  I am trying to stay as minimal as possible...

Great picture!!!

That pic I linked from their twitter.. here are a few of mine...  Funny, the fog machines' noise was so apparent on the recording because it was the only high frequency in the atmosphere...  weird noise... doesn't really sound bad though, adds something

try six...unbelievably loud band. killer show.

rhino... do I know you from the coma?  I think we may have traded some Volta shows back in the haydays...   (I was sublimestylee7 in those days) But I thought that I lost some frequencies at this show.  I used some foam construction earplugs and was about 15-20ft back from that ^ monstrosity, I am still recovering, but the day after everyone''s voice sounded like a robot.  I couldn't hear any bass tones... it was scary.   Scared me enough to go out and buy these from the local music instrument shop.  Any experience?

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:01:52 AM by spaceman.project »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 12:59:05 AM »
Scared me enough to go out and buy these [Impact Noise Reducers] from the local music instrument shop.  Any experience?

I don't think -6 dB attenutation is good enough.  For shows that loud, consider -20 dB earplugs, like the Etymotic ER-20.  Commonly available for $15 a pair, but you can find them for $10 sometimes.  Looks like they might now have multiple sizes, whereas previously to the best of my knowledge they only had one-size-fits-all.  Just make sure they're well seated, else they won't get the job done.  Depending on your ears, they might require some finagling and practice to get them seated properly and consistenly.  (Before I picked up custom molds, I had to practice seating them properly and consistenly due to my very narrow ear canals.)

FWIW, there's a whole thread dedicated to earplugs and hearing issues (including some discussion of custom molded earplugs, depending on your budget), also linked in the sticky at the top of the Taper Chat forum:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=39349.0
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline spaceman.project

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 01:12:55 AM »
Scared me enough to go out and buy these [Impact Noise Reducers] from the local music instrument shop.  Any experience?

I don't think -6 dB attenutation is good enough.  For shows that loud, consider -20 dB earplugs, like the Etymotic ER-20.  Commonly available for $15 a pair, but you can find them for $10 sometimes.  Looks like they might now have multiple sizes, whereas previously to the best of my knowledge they only had one-size-fits-all.  Just make sure they're well seated, else they won't get the job done.  Depending on your ears, they might require some finagling and practice to get them seated properly and consistenly.  (Before I picked up custom molds, I had to practice seating them properly and consistenly due to my very narrow ear canals.)

FWIW, there's a whole thread dedicated to earplugs and hearing issues (including some discussion of custom molded earplugs, depending on your budget), also linked in the sticky at the top of the Taper Chat forum:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=39349.0

Whoops, posted the wrong ones.. mine are the -18db... They had the er-20s but thought i would try these for 5 $ cheaper.. we will see

Offline stepeanut

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 04:37:01 AM »
What is the argument to move to an adjustable Preamp?  I am trying to stay as minimal as possible...

If you're only recording music of this kind of volume (or any amplified rock music with a standard two-guitars-bass-drums setup), you don't need a preamp; a battery box is sufficient.

I record a lot of different kinds of music, from folk to jazz to indie to noise rock, and I find I only need a preamp for maybe 5% of those shows.  I need a pre only for the quietest of shows -- unamplified acoustic performances, or acoustic performances where the PA is somewhat feeble.

As a general rule of thumb, if there's a drum kit involved, you shouldn't need a preamp.
Stepeanut: "Unless something else turns up, I'd say you've made the pull of the tour."

Yousef: "That's kind of you to say, but it does feel like winning first prize in a turd-photographing contest."

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 04:44:21 AM »

I have been making this mistake, and others in my taping ignorance and infancy, but have moved on to just the CA - Ugly BB..  What is the argument to move to an adjustable Preamp?  I am trying to stay as minimal as possible...

Yeah, I wasn't saying you don't need a battery-box at all. You don't need to activate the bass roll-off filter.

An adjustable preamp would be useful with low-sensivity mics and a quieter source.
Mics also tend to sound slightly better using a preamp instead of a BB.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 08:02:46 AM by fandelive »
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline stepeanut

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 07:58:06 AM »

That's debateable.  The extra circuitry can increase the signal-to-noise ratio.  Using a preamp with a low-pro rig like the OP's is a trade off.  If a battery box will suffice, I say use one.
Stepeanut: "Unless something else turns up, I'd say you've made the pull of the tour."

Yousef: "That's kind of you to say, but it does feel like winning first prize in a turd-photographing contest."

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 09:11:50 AM »

That's debateable.  The extra circuitry can increase the signal-to-noise ratio.  Using a preamp with a low-pro rig like the OP's is a trade off.  If a battery box will suffice, I say use one.

How does using a mic preamp instead of a simple battery box increase noise?  All the preamp is doing is amplifying the noise that is already there.  I see no trade off with using a preamp.  If anything, a good preamp will be quieter than your recorder's onboard preamp, if your recorder has a microphone input. 
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.386 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com